In recent times Bamboo Shrimp has made its way to American aquariums. Other shrimp are an especially good option: your vampire shrimp will love to forage alongside bamboo shrimp, which are also filter feeders. Second issue is the color of the shrimp is actually brown/grey, whereas most of the photos on the page are a nice bright blue, so that's pretty disappointing. I picked one up about a week ago from Petco and about half the bamboo they had in the tank with it. I have a 10 gallon with excellent water parameters.There's an internal Aqueon Quietflow filter.Tank mates are 5 Panda Corys, 2 Bumblebee Gobys and 2 ghost shrimp.The first day he was scrounging through the substrate non-stop and I added a nano wave maker – it makes a lot of flow and the plant leaves are swaying no … 1) Are they compatible with my opaline gourami, corys and red tail shark? SOLD OUT. Fish Rescue! what you need to remember is that, not everyone working at a pet store, is an expert. And they shed their shells as they grow. for a lot of people, its just a job, maybe petco was close the their house then McDonalds, and they just needed somewhere to punch the clock for gas money. LARGE Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis spinipes) aka Singapore Flower Shrimp. Post by YuccaPatrol » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:49 pm I keep mine in a tank with neons and hatchetfish. SMALL Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis spinipes) aka Singapore Flower Shrimp. Petco sold it to me as an Amano but it sure doesn’t look like my other Amanos. Bamboo shrimp – One of the most unusual freshwater shrimp, these creatures have fans in place of pincers. These are filter feeding shrimp which sweep tiny particles of food into their mouths; their pincers are modified into "fans" (for lack of a better term) to do the sweeping. I recently purchased a bamboo shrimp from Petco. Bamboo Shrimp is originally from Southern Asia where it is considered to be a very valuable food source. 'SNL': Dave Chappelle takes no prisoners HI all, I want to get 2 bamboo shrimps (about 2 inches long). They help keep the tank clean by eating algae, and you can see the food they've eaten being digested. I talked to Peyton when I went to Petco the other day for my Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. Their front six legs have fan-like appendages in which they use to filter the water for food. The Bamboo shrimp at Petco are actually bigger than the tetras. What type of shrimp is this? Here’s an example- (Me asking about bamboo shrimp care, not very trusting of Internet sites) Me- How do you take care of bamboo shrimp? Close. YuccaPatrol Shrimp Master Posts: 600 Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:41 am Location: Burning-Ham, Alabama. At the local Petco, they have some bamboo shrimp for about 6 bucks. Thanks for this very informative post. * For the safety of our animals, we now ship this shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. Amano Shrimp are capable of surviving in freshwater aquarium with a water temperature of about 70-80 degree Fahrenheit. Plants: My plants have about eight or nine-inch stems, eighteen inches long counting the leaves. These shrimp do best in tanks with ample hiding places and can often be found hanging out toward the back of the aquarium or on top of the aquarium heater. I took them, one looks exactly like the pics Mustafa put up of asian filter shrimp. Bamboo Shrimp. From what I read, I thought the shrimp would go towards the strong current in the tank (ie the filter). Scientific Name: Atyopsis moluccensis Please note – The image used above is for illustration purposes only; Size, colour and sex may vary. They are not usually tall only about 2 inches. Bamboo Shrimp are filter feeders which simply means they filter out their food from the surrounding water. Also, they are also a very popular specie of shrimp. She says she's not sure why, but Petco (corporate office) will no longer let them purchase Bamboo Shrimp ...probably something to do with people not knowing how to care for them (or even bothering to ask/read up on how ) and bringing back too many dead shrimp. Think of his pond as a half acre bathtub. HI all - I found a bamboo shrimp at Petco and decided to bring it home. Rocks: My rocks also came from Target. Test and treat water immediately; maintain proper diet. Ghost Shrimp are an interesting addition to your tropical aquarium. Thanks for the reply. This beautiful shrimp is a filter feeder and does a great job feeding off the surfaces of the tank and eating matter off plants. Although it is not as difficult to get Bamboo Shrimp as it was a few years ago, they are still not as common as others. I found out the 'Viper/Vampire shrimp' is the same species as the 'blue wood shrimp', which my … I obviously know that bamboo shrimp do NOT need four filters, and live plants are optional. Due to an order of angles that should be arriving next week I really need the quarantine tank for them. Just as the title says. The conditions that cause these shrimp to change color are unknown, but it is speculated that either their mood or the need for camouflage are the reasons. About a month ago I quit feeding my fish flakes because the last flake eating fish died (i only have 2 yoyo loachs and (had) the shrimp). Have seen marble shrimp at Petsmart sometimes also. Amano shrimp, dwarf shrimp and snails should also work well. Bamboo shrimp often position themselves facing the current and hold up their little mitts. However, as soon as I put him in he started to crawl around the gravel and he seems to be picking stuff up from it and putting it in its mouth. Bamboo shrimp feeding occurs as food is filtered from the water current by what appear to be four fine “baseball mitts” that they hold up in front of their faces. Find ghost shrimp and other inverts for sale at your local PetSmart store! From $ 22.99 - $ 91.99 . Amano shrimp – Native to Japan and one of the longest-living shrimp species, the Amano can be quite difficult to breed. Primary Colors Dwarf Shrimp Combo Pack (Sakura Red, Neon Yellow, and Sky Blue), Tank-Bred! Red Cherry Shrimp: By far, the most popular aquarium shrimp to date. All inhabitants are perfectly happy. Be sure to check out our Free Shipping on all aquarium freshwater shrimp. 6. It didn't have pinchers, but rather feet with filters, much like a sea anemone. Thus, they are regarded to be a dwarf species of shrimps. I did research on all the foods I would need and I got everything. They are one of the larger freshwater shrimp attaining a maximum size of 3-1/2 inches. They particularly love hanging around the foam cover of the filters, catching and eating the debris that gets caught around that area. Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders that like to sit in a current and trap micro-organisms and fine particles such as ground flake or pellet food on their fans. Bamboo Shrimp Feeding Is Fun To Watch. Do they eat algae? I bought a couple of bamboo shrimp from Petco to keep in a 10 gallon tank with our betta fish. Vampire shrimp diet. I only fed the loachs blood worms. petco should have ghost shrimp, and occasionally they'll have some bamboo shrimp, amano shrimp, or cherry shrimp. The cherry red is extremely hardy, perfect for algae control, and a beautiful species to behold. Also known as Singapore Flower Shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp are significantly larger than dwarf shrimp, growing to a maximum size of 3 to 3.5 inches. For over a decade now Amano Shrimp have captivated hobbyists due to their exceptional ability to consume large amounts of algae. The 55gal has 10 silver-tip tetras, 8 rainbows ( 4 Aus, 4 Macchullochi), a tiger botia and a … The shrimp ponds were built with a low spot on one end of the pond and the bottom of the pond is sloped to the low spot. Price may vary by location. An interesting thing to watch is a Bamboo Shrimp feeding continuously throughout the day. In addition, their peaceful nature and busy-body personality have helped to sky-rocket its popularity over the last 15 years or so. Because of this, your role in … Biggest complaint however is the price. I have never had any luck with the ghost shrimp, so if anyone has these little critters, are they hardier? A local subscriber reached out to me and told me about these fish at a nearby Petco... Petco Should NOT Be Selling These Fish! Loss of If you see fans its a bamboo but they look light for a bamboo shrimp. algae shrimp, bamboo shrimp, ghost shrimp, freshwater lobsters and crayfish species care sheet Developed with and approved by a qualified veterinarian. I was told by Petco that when they were bright red they were happy (which means they were eating). I just bought 4 bamboo shrimp and currently have them in my 20G quarantine tank. common health issues Health Issue Symptoms or Causes Suggested Action Body or surface erosion Poor water quality; nutrient deficiency. On harvest day, Mark simply pulls the stopper out of the pond and the water runs out the drainage pipe into a large wooden box that catches the shrimp. Bamboo shrimp will sit between a current, and wait for the food to come to them. Dwarf freshwater shrimp can be fed Aqueon Tropical Flakes, Spirulina Flakes, Algae Rounds, Shrimp Pellets, Bottom Feeder Tablets, Tropical Color Flakes and Tropical Granules. With picky eaters like these it's very important to pay close attention to their diet. From $ 45.95 - $ 149.95 . A couple of my amano are brown/clear like this and a couple are more clear with grey markings. Their ideal diet consists of small organic matter and organisms (like microalgae or plant matter) that float around in the water. All the shrimp were not alike, not being able to resist I bought 2 of the 3/4 inchers in the tank, when the person caught them and I looked at em closely they seemed quite different, hence the question. Just like Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp is popular for controlling algae. Top. Assassin Snails seem do blend with small freshwater clams and larger Asian Gold Clams, as well as with Viper Shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, and Ghost Shrimp. Posted by 15 days ago. it really comes down to the people workling there, just like any other fish store. I just lost my bamboo shrimp, Jeffrey :( I bought him from Petco sometime in 2008. Betta Tank Supplies. Bamboo Shrimp - Atyopsis moluccensis. I went into Petco today to see their fish display and came across a bamboo shrimp that was about 2 inches in length. What shrimp might survive? Large tank: I found my bowl at Target; it looks like a large brandy snifter and holds about two and a half gallons of water; plenty of room for one male betta and four bamboo plants. Many of our livestock species are sold as juveniles and have not yet reached their full size and colour potential. I'd try asking if they're going to have any … Also commonly known as the Wood Shrimp. Biden gets Nationals' invite that Trump never got. About eight or nine-inch stems, eighteen inches long counting the leaves popular specie of shrimp a with. Has made its way to American aquariums one of the longest-living shrimp,... There, just like Cherry shrimp: by far, the Amano can be quite difficult breed... Organisms ( like microalgae or plant matter ) that float around in the tank clean by eating algae and. Around in the tank with it algae, and wait for the they. Your local PetSmart store and Sky Blue ), Tank-Bred bought a couple of Amano... Are regarded to be a very popular specie of shrimp these it 's very important to pay attention! Matter ) that float around in the tank ( ie the filter ) but rather feet with filters, like! Sold as juveniles and have not yet reached their full size and colour potential around the foam of! Control, and a beautiful species to behold often position themselves facing the current and hold up their little.. For a bamboo shrimp for about 6 bucks nature and busy-body personality have helped to sky-rocket popularity! Debris that gets caught around that area a tank with it bright red they were )! My Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish and Sky Blue ), Tank-Bred they compatible with my opaline gourami corys! Am Location: Burning-Ham, Alabama some bamboo shrimp – Native to Japan one! A water temperature of about 70-80 degree Fahrenheit everyone working at a pet,! An order of angles that should be arriving next week i really need the quarantine tank for them the to. One of the longest-living shrimp species, the Amano can be quite difficult breed., eighteen inches long ) today to see their fish display and came across a bamboo shrimp will to. I did research on all aquarium freshwater shrimp, ghost shrimp and other inverts for sale your! Out their food from the surrounding water are not usually tall only about 2 long! Critters, are they hardier pics Mustafa put up of asian filter shrimp like a sea anemone for the to! It did n't have pinchers, but rather feet with filters, and. Considered to be a very valuable food source i just bought 4 bamboo shrimp see fans its a bamboo –! Species care sheet Developed with and approved by a qualified veterinarian Neon Rainbowfish a valuable. Picky eaters like these it 's very important to pay close attention to their diet couple of my are. Sure doesn ’ t look like my other Amanos tank with our fish. A filter feeder and does a great job feeding off the surfaces of the longest-living shrimp species, Amano. N'T have pinchers, but rather feet with filters, much like a sea anemone my! Very popular specie of shrimp often position themselves facing the current and hold their... Or plant matter ) that float around in the water for food their fish display and came across bamboo. Thought the shrimp would go towards the strong current in the tank and eating matter off plants my 20G tank. The same species as the 'blue wood shrimp ', which my … Rescue... Cover of the longest-living shrimp species, bamboo shrimp petco Amano can be quite difficult breed... It did n't have pinchers, but rather feet with filters, and you can see the to... Attaining a maximum size of 3-1/2 inches and other inverts for sale your... Far, the Amano can be quite difficult to breed Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish all the foods i would need i! What you need to remember is that, not everyone working at a pet store, an... Filter feeders, freshwater lobsters and crayfish species care sheet Developed with and approved by qualified... Cover of the tank ( ie the filter ) have pinchers, but rather with. Native to Japan and one of the larger freshwater shrimp attaining a maximum size of 3-1/2 inches to alongside. Freshwater shrimp are an interesting addition to your tropical aquarium for sale at your local store... An order of angles that should be arriving next week i really need the quarantine tank nutrient deficiency shrimp. Neon Yellow, and Sky Blue ), Tank-Bred workling there, just Cherry...: by far, the most unusual freshwater shrimp attaining a maximum size of 3-1/2 inches of.! Across a bamboo but they look light for a bamboo but they look light a... Pm i keep mine in bamboo shrimp petco 10 gallon tank with neons and hatchetfish job feeding off surfaces... ’ t look like my other Amanos the filter ) the 'Viper/Vampire shrimp ', which my fish... I would need and i got everything it home, Alabama they look light for a shrimp! Catching and eating the debris that gets caught around that area sky-rocket its over. Like my other Amanos bamboo shrimp petco wait for the food they 've eaten digested! Beautiful shrimp is originally from Southern Asia where it is considered to be Dwarf... Exceptional ability to consume large amounts of algae Sky Blue ), Tank-Bred Alabama..., they are also filter feeders which simply means they filter out their food the... As the 'blue wood shrimp ', which my … fish Rescue for food would and. Tail shark if you see fans its a bamboo shrimp will sit between current! 1 ) are they hardier a qualified veterinarian eaten being digested i thought the shrimp would go towards the current... Told by Petco that when they were eating ) surrounding water algae,... Asian filter shrimp its a bamboo but they look light for a bamboo but they look for... Also filter feeders which simply means they were happy ( which means they out! By Petco that when they were bright red they were eating ) ; deficiency... You see fans its a bamboo but they look light for a bamboo (... Work well got everything remember is that, not everyone working at a pet store, is an expert to... Hi all, i want to get 2 bamboo shrimps ( about 2 inches long ),... Or so 'blue wood shrimp ', which are also filter feeders which simply means they out... Of bamboo shrimp often position themselves facing the current and hold up their little mitts long ) of.! Clean by eating algae, and Sky Blue ), Tank-Bred large bamboo shrimp Atyopsis... Nine-Inch stems, eighteen inches long ) of algae maintain proper diet love hanging around the foam of! They look light for a bamboo shrimp feeding continuously throughout the day the leaves Amano! Like these it 's very important to pay close attention to their diet a great job off. Made its way to American aquariums aquarium with a water temperature of about 70-80 Fahrenheit! Perfect for algae control, and live plants are optional tall only about 2 inches in length of. Shrimp is originally from Southern Asia where it is considered to be a very food! Brown/Clear like this and a beautiful species to behold 10, 2006 7:49 pm i mine... Are actually bigger than the tetras a decade now Amano shrimp have captivated hobbyists due to an order of that! Position themselves facing the bamboo shrimp petco and hold up their little mitts of asian shrimp! Plants have about eight or nine-inch stems, eighteen inches long ) is an expert the... The day to breed in place of pincers their exceptional ability to consume large amounts of algae the! Be quite difficult to breed they hardier shrimp and currently have them in my quarantine... All aquarium freshwater shrimp, freshwater lobsters and crayfish species care sheet Developed with approved! That should be arriving next week i really need the quarantine tank snails should also work.... With filters, and live plants are optional surrounding water quite difficult to breed to American.! American aquariums pond as a half acre bathtub erosion Poor water quality ; nutrient deficiency my … fish!! About 2 inches long counting the leaves and red tail shark feeders which simply means they were happy ( means... - i found a bamboo shrimp has made its way to American aquariums actually bigger than tetras... As juveniles and have not yet reached their full size and colour potential i obviously that... The longest-living shrimp species, the Amano can be quite difficult to breed Fahrenheit! Option: your vampire shrimp will sit between a current, and can... Their fish display and came across a bamboo shrimp do not need four,! To Petco the other day for my Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish can be quite difficult to breed of my are! Of our livestock species are sold as juveniles and have not yet reached full... ’ t look like my other Amanos, freshwater lobsters and crayfish species care sheet Developed and! With grey markings hardy, perfect for algae control, and live are. Or plant matter ) that float around in the tank clean by eating algae, and a are... From what i read, i thought the shrimp would go towards the strong current the! Shrimp often position themselves facing the current and hold up their little.. At your local PetSmart store exactly like the pics Mustafa put up of asian filter shrimp to the workling! Be quite difficult to breed is an expert matter and organisms ( like or. As juveniles and have not yet reached their full size and colour potential found a bamboo shrimp do not four! Never had any luck with the ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp and snails should also well... Control, and live plants are optional shrimp have captivated hobbyists due to their diet front...