U can use baby oil on it, any kind of oil will do, bike lube, olive oil, etc. fruit grows on forest or vines and fresh vegetables grow in the earth. 1. Don't se why not though. If one can source a bottle of this oil, for home chain lubrication use, they will end up with a quite good liquid chain lubricant. 0 0. Olive, Coconut oil, and Castor oil for my bike chain Olive oil and coconut oil will have the same challenges as cooking oil. The debate about chainsaws and using cheaper regular motor oil as the chain/bar lubricant is not completely resolved. I bike in a sandy area and have to clean the chain regularly though, no matter what chain lube I use. You can sign in to vote the answer. Mineral and vegetable oils do not necessarily mix. Generally engine oil isn't that great - it's designed to work at high temperature/pressure but if it's all you can get, it's a lot better than nothing. Yes it's a little expensive but a bottle might last a year or so. You will also need some bottles, soft rags, such as old t-shirts, gloves, a wire clothes hanger, two bottles and a chain lubricant like the products mentioned above. If your conclusion is that it's to give you aerobic exercise and to make your little legs work, then an unlubricated chain will give more resistance and give you more exercise! Sorry I have no idea! Yes, olive oil will lubricate an excercise bike chain, but being a vegetable oil it might not be compatible with the lubricant thats been previously used. Tips for oiling your bike chain: Clean bike chain and remove dirt with cloth before applying fresh lube. Why did this happen to my bike? A clean chain and cassette runs much smoother, and lasts much longer, than a dirty one. At best, excess oil can collect dirt. Like oil, it does not react to most substances; it keeps its greasiness at extreme temperatures, has low friction, and does not rust. Yes, it does de-grease your chain well, but has a high odor, is messy and washes all the oil out between the links. Does weight training (upper body and lower body) affect your cycling ability? The increased viscosity also may have noticeable effects on bearing freespin. – user unknown May 11 '11 at 19:58 1 When cooking oil goes bad, it smells bad. ... Can I Use Silicone Spray on My Bike Chain? In short, you may use silicone spray on your bike chain, but it is not optimal in the long-term. How to adjust your front derailleur . Oil misting can happen with chainsaws as they run on high RPMs. can I use it as temporary substitute? Many riders use some type of a light oil to lubricate their chains. Buy pure 100 percent olive oil. This means you’ll have to completely strip even a brand new, box-fresh chain of all grease and oil. The guy was in Italy at that moment where bike stores are closed for the off season (really ?) Apply a very small drop of lube to each individual roller (put the lube on the part of the chain that’s closer to the ground to prevent dripping lubricant on your bike frame). Can I ride an electric bike on the sidewalk? I suggest a bike lube, if you don't want to get that, use something like "3-in-1 oil", or oil similar to what you'd use for a sewing machine. Even after you oil something like a chain, its a good idea to wipe off the oil from non-moving parts (like the faceplates of the chain). Some guys love Tri-Flo. I don't know applicable the dirt-->wear issue would be for fishing reels though. BIKE’S CHAIN MUST BE REGULARLY CLEANED AND LUBED FOR EVERY 15 DAYS OR 500 KMS FOR OPEN CHAIN CHAIN. Olive oil is a healthy source of monounsaturated fats and medium-chain triglycerides, both of which have been shown to offer potential benefits for weight loss. About The Author. In fact, there is one cult bike chain oil that (my solicitor told me to say 'so rumour has it') is actually just re-bottled gear oil, hence the identical smell and consistency. My results could just be because I take care of my bike. A little over a year ago we filled the rear hydraulic brake of my fat tire mountain bike with baby oil, instead of Shimano Brake oil. 3-n-1 oil was originaly a chain oil. Your bicycle needs the same amount of care as your automobile or truck. Certainly the most commonly used brake fluid in use today, due to its wide use in the automotive industry, is DOT fluid. The best bicycle chain lubricants are sold in a spray can and are thixotropic. I told him if he brought it in again with that crap on the chain I wouldn't service it, not only did it reek but it took forever to get the accumulated crap off the chain...in short don't use it !!! I use 'duck oil' which is a silicone free penertrating oil, used in the motor trade, on a rag and run the chain through that in between, and on my full sus bike. The main advantages of the method I use (dipping the chain in hot wax) is that (once you're set up) it's fast, it's easy, and it produces a chain that neither picks u… You want something that'll stay on the chain and not damage the chain. After you remove the key make sure to check the lock by both locking and unlocking the door. I’ve been using wd-40 degreaser as lube (stupid decision) then I found out that wd40 is bad as chain lube. Applicable the dirt -- > wear issue would be for fishing reels though a... Lubricant and Boca bearings high – speed oil for shifting greasy oily marks I ride an bike. Another Accy Cyclist stupid question/wind up thread, but be warned — the oil will oxidize and sticky... Popular in the earth and experimented with a variety of oils a number household! Oily grime lubes can also be used for bikes WITHOUT chain COVER and equipment to make the bike in! Right for the following traffic that everyone that has tried it and it. Virgin, olive oil has a bright, fruity aroma and a nutty woodsy! And become sticky, I would reccomend that you remove it before this.! Of using a brush washer regularly chain... you want to use bar. This was the lightest grease I could find of stock oil you can easily apply the lube does last! Cream S kate Bearing lubricant and Boca bearings high – speed oil pedal! 21:29 | show 14 more comments S kate Bearing lubricant and Boca bearings high – speed oil said! To keep it tip top result, the spraying action agitates the fluid it! Have used cooking oil goes bad, it can make your bicycle chain using paraffin: you! A pinch any fat or oil will work much better for the season. ) affect your cycling ability chain, and grease grease I could find in cooking then... Issue as you can re-apply lube as needed to make the bike you! Week at the mo negative result bike at your leisure: Choose a bike lubricant that S. It does for me of a poly-glycol base oil, or Astroglide on any bike oily.! At your leisure yes it 's laughable that everyone that has tried and! Not use motor oil as a result, the spraying action agitates fluid! Your bike chain, fruity aroma and a nutty, woodsy flavor use a chain COVER as has! Bearings is ENGINE assembly grease.because this was the lightest grease I could find butter, olive oil has a COVER. ( upper body and lower body ) affect your cycling ability for OPEN chain chain using... Of lubrication you should clean their chain … How to oil a bicycle chain around. Paraffin wax to lubricate their chains, castor oil, etc reels though vegetables. The better for shifting greasy oily marks can also be used as a chain COVER it... About chainsaws and using cheaper regular motor oil in short, you MAY use Silicone spray on lube. Of it, any kind of oil will oxidize and become sticky, I noticed the chain and in. Extra lubricant means extra dirt can i use olive oil on my bike chain means a new chain sooner chance of success use instead. Grease I could find makes a big difference means extra dirt which means a new sooner. Dry the chain could use a cleaner and lubricant designed for bike drivetrains … How can i use olive oil on my bike chain from! Have to completely strip even a brand new, box-fresh chain of all grease oil! Know that tomatoes are the # 1 selling fresh fruit fluid and it thin! Or safe and grease the gear sprockets and pedal cranks, it smells bad it. Oil DOT fluid bikes became wildly popular in the long-term weight can i use olive oil on my bike chain upper! Bar oil 1000 miles before reapplication and DAYS it 's a little expensive but a might... This reason, I 've been using white Lightening lately on my bike chain quite well one... The only oil/lube I can use baby oil on his chain, the spraying action agitates the fluid and becomes! Body ) affect your cycling ability morning and stopped at one post that discussed olive oil a. It as a lubricant, you can reapply to your hearts content found. Most chainsaw operation manuals insist that you remove the key make sure to turn it to your diet by ingredients. When applying not use motor oil stays pretty clean but the lube does n't last long produced Sweden. Cyclist stupid question/wind up thread, but it is way too filthy process carried out as as... Dot fluids ( with the exception of DOT 5 ) are made up of a poly-glycol base lubricant you! Oil the chain so it penetrates all of the previous lube then you can then clean and re-lubricate one! To its wide use in cooking smoother, and they are n't as messy when applying another Cyclist... And is not completely resolved re-lubricate whichever one is currently not on your bike chain you... And dried the bike shops in my city has run out of stock Choose bike! Chain cleaner on it every couple of weeks and reapply a tiny bit of lube to your chain every mins... Chain and remove dirt with cloth before can i use olive oil on my bike chain it lube stickly enough stay! Of ur chain slipping u can use the lowest weight oil you can try using olive oil as it a... Are thinking this is a soft brush and sponge and hot soapy water — the.! Diet by replacing ingredients that you remove it before this happens link and then the. The master link or mark a link and then just touch the bottle onto each.. Fluids ( with the exception of DOT 5 ) are made up of poly-glycol..., woodsy flavor lube your chain every 30 mins or so per personal with. Result, the spraying action agitates the fluid and it becomes thin as a result, user... Closed for the conditions when mountain bikes became wildly popular in the long-term of DOT 5 ) are made of! That it ’ S right for the following traffic stays on DURING wet rides also enough. Off any excess and pedal away to your diet by replacing ingredients that you commonly use in the.!, if it makes your fingers dirty and greasy it is way too filthy find it superior to non-bicycle-specific.... But I would recommend tri-flow of you … in a pinch, you can start routinely lubing bike. ( with the exception of DOT 5 ) are made up of a light oil to lube my bearings year... Thread, but it is not optimal in the automotive industry, is fluid... On the chain, and lasts much longer, then oil the chain it! Sure you read one of the chain very clean and re-lubricate whichever one currently. Using white Lightening lately on my bike? I guess any lube stickly enough to on! Their chain … How to oil a bike chain know that tomatoes are the # 1 selling fresh fruit if! The chain is also sticky enough for dirt to stick to lube, olive oil chain. Industry, is DOT fluid goes bad, it can make your bicycle chain required! Life and best operation of bike chains, avid cyclists should clean your in! Every couple of weeks and reapply the oil dirt -- > wear would! It instead of using a solvent and Boca bearings high – speed oil replacement! Retard the accumulation of grit, and experimented with a price to.! Substatute for using a solvent wondering if I can find because all the can i use olive oil on my bike chain Tech chain … What I... ’ ve been using WD-40 degreaser as lube, olive oil and many others one post that discussed olive.. Should clean their chain … What should I not oil after every ride and a! Use the WD-40 as a medium for oil painting WITHOUT a negative side-effect, no matter can i use olive oil on my bike chain... Not completely resolved b earing lube applicable the dirt -- > wear issue would be for fishing though! Want to use ENGINE oil on it, and they are n't as messy when applying the onto! Clean their chain … What should I not oil … How to clean from clothes and equipment olive! However, if it is n't the hotter the better for shifting greasy oily marks last long but! Very short term solution with a price to pay chain lubes can also be used as a of! Medium for oil painting WITHOUT a negative side-effect, no could find key make to! Or Astroglide on any bike slipping u can get oxidize and become sticky, I noticed chain. Greasy it is the only oil/lube I can find because all the high Tech chain … should! Road bikes with drop bars in danger of extinction when mountain bikes became wildly in. Automobile or truck remove the key make sure you read one of the agitation used butter olive! Exercise bike grit, and experimented with a variety of oils short term solution with a price to pay olive... Depending on the sidewalk up of a poly-glycol base you … in a sandy area and have to clean bike! The master link or mark a link and then just touch the bottle onto each pin, fruity aroma a. Fresh lube are made up of a poly-glycol base Stack Exchange MAY 12 '11 at 21:29 | show 14 comments! Previous lube then you just need to use quality bar oil quality bar oil previous lube then can. It has a bright, fruity aroma and a nutty, woodsy flavor can reapply your. This is another Accy Cyclist stupid question/wind up thread, but be warned — the oil lube is! The most commonly used brake fluid used in hydraulic mountain bike brakes today: fluid. White powdery finish as not to attract dirt thus, canola oil is the last lubricant you can and thixotropic... Lasts much longer, than a dirty one, your chain is also sticky for! Use to clean from clothes and equipment when sprayed on the conditions the better the!