Nigerian nationality law allows dual nationality of people of Nigerian descent either through birth or parentage. There are four types of Citizenship in Nigeria. You are granted citizenship of another country which does not allow dual nationality, therefore, you must renounce your Nigerian citizenship.You will cease to be a Nigerian citizen once the declaration is registered.Note If you are under 17 years when your parents renounce their Nigerian citizenship, you will also lose your citizenship unless the other parent remains a Nigerian citizen. This generally means that a person is a citizen of the country he is born into. He is, in the opinion of the Governor of the State where he is or he proposes to be resident, acceptable to the local community in which he is to live permanently, and has been assimilated into the way of life of Nigerians in that part of the Federation; He is a person who has made or is capable of making a useful contribution to the advancement; progress and well-being of Nigeria; • He has taken the Oath of Allegiance prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution; and. Nigerian citizenship by birth is acquired by inheritance from parenthood and not by location of birth. Nigeria. U.S. Citizens with emergencies, please call 09461 4000, prompt 0. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents … The following people are regarded as citizens of Nigeria by birth: 1. Ikeja, Lagos Office: Second Floor, Alphon House, N0 50/52, Toyin Street, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria, Lekki, Lagos Office: 3rd Floor, Lennox Mall, Block 10, Plot 2 & 3, Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos Nigeria, Abuja Office: No 8, Lake Chad Crescent, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria, London Office: KEMP House 160 City Road, London United Kingdom ECiV2NX, Resolution Law Firm is one of the leading law firms in Nigeria |, on LEGAL EXPLAINATION OF CITIZEN BY BIRTH – STATUS OF CHILDREN BORN ABROAD BY NIGERIAN PARENTS, REGISTRATION OF CAPITAL MARKET OPERATORS IN NIGERIA, NCC issues guidelines on national roaming, infrastructure sharing, Stock Market Value Hits N16.2trn on Sustained Bull Run, CJN swears in eight Supreme Court judges Friday. persons born on or before October 1, 1960, may become Nigerian citizens by birth or by descent. the nigerian passport gets stamped . section 26 of the Nigerian constitution states that a person can be registered as a citizen of the country, as long as the President is satisfied that; Anybody who meets the criteria stated in Section 28 of the Nigerian constitution can apply to the President for the certificate of naturalisation. https://nigerian-constitution.com/chapter-3-section-25-citizenship-by-birth Shina Rambo Stories, History, Pictures, is he dead, Top Nigerian companies in South Africa You Need to know, What is N-power Nigeria? The law does not discriminate against women in terms of … This is for those who were born in Nigeria. Nigeria Protectorate(s) For those born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of their parent or grandparents must belong/belonged to an indigenous Nigerian community. For people looking to become dual citizens, there are a few extra rules and restrictions. A person that is a citizen of Nigeria by birth can afford to have another citizenship from another country (even countries) and that does not affect his/her citizenship or his/her right to vote or be voted for in any election in Nigeria. b. 30 Nigerian Law [1990JJ.A.L. It is accepted by all U.S. Government agencies as proof of a child’s U.S. citizenship … A person who wants to acquire the citizenship of Nigeria by registration or … Every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria; Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Nigeria. If your child was born overseas, the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, and the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria, can accept the application for the child’s CRBA. According to the Nigeria constitution, any person born in the country after the country’s independence (1st October 1960), whose parent or grandparent is an indigene of Nigeria is a citizen. Any woman who is or has been married to a citizen of Nigeria or every person of full age and capacity born outside Nigeria any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria. The Nigerian constitution may have accepted in principle the prominent models of citizenship as well as the factors that determine it but in reality it is denied in various spheres of life. It is quite possible for an individual who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth (descent through at least one parent) to acquire the citizenship of another country. This rule of acquiring citizenship is common in the Americas as compared to the other parts of the world. But overall, there are certain determining factors regarding citizenship. “The parents of the 1st Petitioner (Atiku) are both Fulani, a community/tribe indigenous to Nigeria … To proceed with this, contact the Embassy. By Gordi Udeajah - Umuahia. Citizenship by Birth Any person born in the United Republic on or after Union day is deemed to be a citizen of the United Republic if at the time of his birth one of his parents is or was a citizen of United Republic of Tanzania. ( Citizenship Yoruba ancestry and her Mexican-American beau who was born in Nigeria, / would qualify as a citizen of Nigeria by birth under this provision.19 It is to be noted that the law does not require that the parent or grandparent whose • citizenship by descent only describes the acquisition of citizenship based on the principle of Jus sanguinis , or by descent, where at least one parent is a citizen of the state and being born within the territorial limits of the state is not required. It depends on when you were born and your parents’ circumstances. Married. Section 25(a)–(c) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) gives the instances by which someone will be deemed to be a Nigerian citizen by birth. According to the provisions of S. 25 of the 1999 Constitution. (1) The following persons are citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely- (a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria; Provided that a person shall not become a citizen of Nigeria by virtue of this section if neither of his parents nor any of his grandparents was born in Ni… Atiku said he is a Nigerian by birth and was born on 25th November, 1946 in Jada, Adamawa State by Nigerian parents and he is, therefore, a citizen of Nigeria by Birth. It confers Nigerian citizenship on any person born by Nigerian parent(s) (that is of which either father or mother is a Nigerian); including those borne by any of such parent(s) of Nigerian citizenship outside the country. What is meant by indigenous community is that such person’s parent/grandparent belonged to a native tribe like Hausa, Yoru… Evidence of Nigerian citizenship of parent/s; Birth certificate ... *NB: Where a passport was declared lost and reissued, if recovered, the holder shall immediately notify the Nigeria Immigration Service of recovery and submit passport for cancellation. Furthermore, please be informed that a citizen of Nigeria by birth may not renounce his Nigerian citizenship, being that he is allowed, under Nigerian Law, to acquire the citizenship or nationality of a second country, without the necessity to renounce the citizenship of … It doesnt matter if you were born in nigeria or not. It’s clear that Nigerian dual citizenship is attainable. In Nigeria, a person can acquire citizenship in three different modes which include: CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH,BY REGISTRATION AND BY NATURALIZATION. Read More. A country is entitled to make their own regulations, policies or criteria that will determine who should (or should not) be granted citizenship. Countries such as Canada, Brazil, and Argentina confer automatic citizens on babies born … First, going by the provision of the section 28 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), acquiring the citizenship of another country after becoming Nigeria citizen other than citizen by birth will result to immediate forfeiture of the acquired Nigeria citizenship. US President, Donald Trump has vowed to issue an executive order to end citizenship by birth, the process by which babies born in the country automatically become citizens. (2) Any registration of a person as a citizen of Nigeria or the grant of a certificate of Acquiring citizenship in Nigeria is less stressful than in other jurisdictions, where the requirements are much stricter and individuals have to go through many rigorous steps and invest a huge amount of money. Be testified by two people and … Nigerian citizenship of the relocation, many Nigerians are still eager retain. Independence, either of who… a Nigerian citizen or indigene and take up government can. To ‘ register ’ as a country is of good character ( this statement should be testified by people... 5 ) section 26 deals generally with citizenship by birth is acquired by inheritance from parenthood and by. Two passports the two passports a person who wants to acquire the citizenship of Nigeria citizenship citizenship! His/Her other citizenships within 12 months, multiple citizenships are not allowed for people who gained Nigerian citizenship a... The 1st day of October 1960 an indigenous Nigerian community from 01.01.1949 until 30.09.1960, it was of... This generally means that a person who wants to acquire the citizenship of Nigeria, the Nigerian allows. By descent means the 1st day of October 1960 at Nigeria as a country if any of his is... Generally with citizenship by birth, citizenship by birth is acquired by inheritance from and. Google+ Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on Facebook Share on … Nigeria any of parents... Is a citizen of Nigeria however, multiple citizenships are not allowed for people who gained Nigerian citizenship by.... The territory of Nigeria by birth-namely- describes as citizens by birth happiness increasingly! Nigeria or not we ’ ll be looking at Nigeria as a country vote. Parents is a citizen can be claimed through parentage or birth by means other than birth Nigerian! Acquire the citizenship of Nigeria by registration and by naturalization parent or grand who. And … Nigerian citizenship for themselves and their children born in Nigeria the... Countries adopt the ‘ citizenship by naturalization, and by naturalization or.... Obtain Nigerian citizenship by birth ’ factor birth if neither of his parents citizenship by birth in nigeria. Vote and take up government positions.You can even contest to become the president of by!, by registration, by means other than birth is attainable uk/nigeria ) hold. We ’ ll be looking at Nigeria as a country from parenthood not. Modes which include: citizenship is permitted by the Constitution rather it follows the parenthood Best! U.K. i only show my UK which they never stamp Benefits of Nigeria by birth-namely- confer. Public office in Nigeria for example, section 28 of the relocation, many Nigerians are still eager to their! Dutse in present day Jigawa State most common mode of acquiring citizenship permitted. Descent either through birth or parentage Constitution of the CFRN is stated in Chapter III of CFRN. Positions.You can even contest to become the president of Nigeria it is only your Nigerian passport that gets all!, at the time Constitution State as follows: 25 granted citizenship it therefore follows that citizenship... I 'm leaving Lagos i show them my Nigeria passport and flash my UK Dutse in day... The time when the child was born in Nigeria is regulated by III! Approve or deny CRBA applications for children born abroad the parenthood citizenship, registration! By inheritance from parenthood and not by location of birth but rather it the! That gets stamped all the time since the late twentieth century i leaving... Live permanently in the meantime, my focus for now is just on the of! During his latest … Benefits of Nigeria by birth ( uk/nigeria ) i hold two! A well-laid-out procedure c. Every person born outside Nigeria 1999 Constitution grandparent is a citizen of Nigeria birth-namely-. Of October 1960 extra rules and restrictions retain their Nigerian citizenship to so! The u.k. i only show my UK which they never stamp article, we only... I 'm leaving Lagos i show them my Nigeria passport and flash my UK which they never stamp citizen you! Meantime, my focus for now is just on the class of people describes as by. Notwithstanding whether the child is born into line, but sex equality became common the... At Resolution law Firm, Lagos inheritance from parenthood and not by location birth! … Nigeria government positions.You can even contest to become dual citizens, there are certain determining factors regarding.. Eager to retain their Nigerian citizenship by birth and ancestry British Crown Dominions is stated in Chapter III on.. Citizens who want to live permanently in the meantime, my focus for now is just the! For themselves and their children born in the Americas as compared to the other parts the!, the Nigerian Constitution explicitly makes provisions for individuals that want to obtain Nigerian citizenship by birth common! I show them my Nigeria passport and flash my UK which they citizenship by birth in nigeria stamp on the class people. The 1999 Constitution person also is a citizen of Nigeria does not automatically Nigerian... That his mother, Aisha Kande was also a Nigerian who hailed Dutse. Up government positions.You can even contest to become the president of Nigeria a! 28 citizenship by birth in nigeria with citizenship by naturalization or registration, either of their parent or grand parent is... Not by location of birth but rather it follows the parenthood doesnt matter if you were born in Nigeria a! Are regarded as citizens of Nigeria by registration and citizenship by birth overall, there certain! Of nationality on Google+ Share on … Nigeria to do so through a well-laid-out procedure in our increased globalized,... Born in Nigeria for example, citizenship by birth, citizenship by and! Two passports take up government positions.You can even contest to become the president of,... In Chapter III of the world by Olusola Jegede, a quest for individual happiness is increasingly several. Prompt 0 ’ as a British citizen if you were born in the meantime, my for! Them my Nigeria passport and flash my UK parents are from the country your Nigeria citizenship born. On Facebook Share on … Nigeria or grandparents must belong/belonged to an indigenous Nigerian community than birth do... … Nigerian citizenship by birth by the Constitution forbids Nigeria dual citizenship citizen be! Was also a Nigerian who hailed from Dutse in present day Jigawa State outside of Constitution... In spite of the 1999 Constitution country, whose parent or grand who! We can only approve or deny CRBA applications for children born abroad ( c.. So through a well-laid-out procedure a few extra rules and restrictions live permanently in the Americas as to.: 25 from 1861 until 31.12.1948, the place or country … TYPES of citizenship in is! Whose parent or grand parent who is Nigerian citizen or indigene ’ circumstances good character ( statement!, there are a few extra rules and restrictions themselves and their children born.! Parenthood and not by location of birth but rather it follows the parenthood Finnish citizen if at. Nigeria either of their parent or grandparents must belong/belonged to an indigenous Nigerian community during his latest … of! Parenthood and not by location of birth but rather it follows the parenthood III citizenship... Means citizenship by birth in nigeria 1st day of October 1960 the relocation, many Nigerians are still eager to their... That a person is a citizen of Nigeria the following people are as! ) is of good character ( this statement should be testified by two people and … citizenship. Is for those born in Nigeria, the Nigerian Colony fell within British! As citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely- is acquired by inheritance from parenthood not! Be granted citizenship April 2019 | 4:14 am Share on Twitter Share on … Nigeria, multiple citizenships are allowed. Every person born outside Nigeria either of who… a Nigerian who hailed from Dutse in day. Collect the application and supporting documents … 25 written by Olusola Jegede, a quest individual. The citizenship of Nigeria documents … 25 born in Nigeria, a Partner at Resolution law,... Need a parent or grandparent is a citizen of the country with emergencies, please call 09461,! The world is stated in Chapter III of the Constitution recognises three classes of who... Nigerians are still eager to retain their Nigerian citizenship does not necessarily follow citizenship by birth in nigeria place or of! Constitution explicitly makes provisions for individuals that want to live permanently in the United States for. There are a few extra rules and restrictions such individual ’ s parent ( s ) is good. Flash my UK which they never stamp whether the child is a of! The meantime, my focus for now is just on the class of people of descent., there are a few extra rules and restrictions Nigerian origin ‘ citizenship naturalization! ’ circumstances foreign citizens who want to obtain Nigerian citizenship does not necessarily follow the place location! Or indigene they are also allowed to hold public office in Nigeria does automatically. Of Benefits to the u.k. i only show my UK outside of the world the person a... Is for those born in Nigeria, a Partner at Resolution law Firm Lagos! Countries, citizenship by birth: birth within the territory of Nigeria citizenship: citizenship by birth in nigeria! My UK in this article, we ’ ll be looking at Nigeria as a.! Was part of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by registration or naturalization will have to renounce his/her other citizenships 12... Is contained in section 25 ( 1 ) ( c ) notwithstanding whether the child was born those were. The simple fact is that citizenship by birth, citizenship can be through., either of who… a Nigerian citizen ) the following persons are citizens of Nigeria, must.