Baiting them with a huge chunk or live shad can do the trick. Where I live in central Georgia, that usually means the full moon in April. Spring is not a good time to be a young shad on the Mississippi River. When shad are abundant, these are five reliable fishing lures that will haul-in fish. This rapid growth means that largemouth and smallmouth bass are able to eat shad for only a short time each spring. I thought it was photoshoped!, I could watch this all day long. If the bass are feeding on bluegill, they usually have to chase them down one at a time. All work in the right conditions. But when a bass eats a minnow (or shad as some are), what goes through their mind? Go to a pond that is overrun with shad, cast net hundreds of them, bag them up and then feed them to my pet bass. This time of year bait choices are nearly unlimited. This time I caught a few giant shad that are great to feed to the 7-8lbers that are in my pond. The threadfin shad is closely related to the gizzard shad but does not grow as large and is more temperature sensitive. Bulge it across the surface, work it along weed edges, or yo-yo it down a ledge. Go Fishing and Catch Big Crappie With Long-Line Trolling, 3 Pros Pick the Best Ice Fishing Line for You, Best New and Noteworthy Ice Fishing Lures for 2020, How to Rig a Wacky-Rigger Worm on a Drop Shot, Dependable Early Spring Crankbaits for All Game Fish (video). In 80 degree water a bass digests its food in about four hours. Why they work: Wide-bodied crankbaits are deadly. Shad are seldomused by largemouth bass anglers, but if a trophy somehow eluded your den wall,you may want to give them a try. https://freshwaterfishingadvice.com › prey-largemouth-bass-eat They could eat baby ducks, earthworms and birds. While you do need vegetation in your pond or lake’s habitat to provide places for forage and feeder fish to grow and hide, bass will not eat it. Tim regularly contributes to numerous North American print and online publications. Threadfin shad are just the right size throughout their life cycle to be a great food source for most all sport fish. But although shad may make up the bulk of their food, during periods of increased turbidity, crayfish intake will often increase. How To Catch Bass In Crystal Clear Water! Soft plastic lure construction has been applied to many other forms as well, notably lizards and salamanders, crayfish and creature baits, frogs, tubes, and curly-tail grubs. The American shad (Alosa sapidissima) is a species of anadromous clupeid fish naturally distributed on the North American coast of the North Atlantic, from Newfoundland to Florida, and as an introduced species on the North Pacific coast. Juveniles eat more after they leave their birthplace. In a reservoir or a pond, largemouth bass do not feed on individual shad but rather engulf dozens at a time when they come up beneath a school. Shad. The adult has a deep body, with a silvery-green coloration above fading to plain silver below. Search the areas the wind blew on during the night or the night before. If they slightly miss their prey on the strike, there's still a good chance they'll be able to suck in that unlucky shad or bluegill. Do they pay attention to the lively … Anytime I catch a shad i instantly slice em up, you gotta be crazy if you think a bass won't eat a shad :nuts: Save Share. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! 1000's of Videos/Articles on one Bass Website! Striped bass like to eat schooling fish (shad) and the small school fish rise to the surface to get away from the stripers. But when a bass eats a minnow (or shad as some are), what goes through their mind? Caught a 3 lb bass on a small Suissex spinner. Do you have underwater footage of this style blow ups? If you do not have fish broth, use chicken broth. Because they’re not equipped to eat large baitfish, however, selectonly small shad, 3 inches or less, to use for white bass bait. The fastest bass action of the spring can occur during the brief time that shad spawn if you hit the right spots at the right times. Why they work: The erratic action of a jerkbait is stellar for triggering reaction strikes from bass. Pay careful attention to where they are … The flathead catfish is a predator and prefer live bait and if you can keep gizzard shad alive they can be a great bait for flatheads. Shad can account for up to 75 percent of a bass' diet when they are the main baitfish. The American shad is both an important commercial fish as well as a popular sport fish. They will naturally eat smaller fish such as minnows and shad, but given the opportunity, they will quite happily take on larger fish such as trout. Night is truly a good time to catch Striped Bass. Gizzard shad grow quickly and attain a much larger size than threadfin some adults reaching 18 inches and weigh 2-pounds. Many shad die off each winter due to cold water--they can not live in water colder than 35 F and start dying off at 45 F—so not many reach a big size. Every bass angler should learn more about threadfin shad andtheir attraction for bass. Thanks for watching! Go to a pond that is overrun with shad, cast net hundreds of them, bag them up and then feed them to my pet bass. Nice to see the behind the scenes. I… Once shad are established, they will often school near the surface late in the afternoon. Striped bass like to eat schooling fish (shad) and the small school fish rise to the surface to get away from the stripers. Occasionally they eat small fish, but these are only a minor item in their general diet. It is puzzling why shad readily take flies and other lures, being the plankton feeders that they are. Best bass video I have seen, what size throw net is that? When bass chase shad to the surface, fish-eating birds spot them and dive into the water to snatch morsels before the bass gulp them, or to grab cripples. Do they pay attention to the lively action, scent, or color? They were thought to be easy food for game fish and could help increase the numbers of fish available, as well as decrease the pressures on prey species (such as the bluegill ). This allows the gizzard shad to quickly dominate the habitat and eventually will deplete the resources that sportfish rely on. This rapid growth means that largemouth and smallmouth bass are able to eat shad for only a short time each spring. Indeed, bass eat a lot of bass, a relatively slender-bodied fish. American shad are very high in “Omega-3” fatty acids. They are longer and thinner. Unlike bass, a shad will still feed during its mating season. Almost every lake, pond and river has at least some food bass will eat, because, well, bass will eat pretty much anything that comes by them. These baits are just what the doctor ordered when largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass are gorging on shad. I filmed some really epic blowup videos while feeding them for this video. Why it works: The bulky skirt and flashing blades of a spinnerbait make it a good shad replica, especially with a white or other light-colored model. [12] Shad can often be found roaming open waters in search of their prime food source, plankton. One of the central facts of life in the aquatic world is that big fish eat little fish. How to fish it: A spinnerbait is versatile. The simplest way to get minnows is to buy them at a bait store. by Sean McNally. The shad spawn is a prime time to fish for bass. Now bring to a simmer some good fish broth; you will need at least a quart. While bass do love to eat live nightcrawlers, those insects are less common in waterways than leeches, and certainly do not behave in the bouncing, swimming way that anglers fish plastic worms. Diving gulls and other birds sometimes act as an added beacon—many water birds like shad just as well as the bass do. Finding schooling bass can’t guarantee fish in the boat, but anglers who pay attention and stay prepared might land several lunkers quickly in the right spot at the right time. Young-of-year shad are now about 2-3 inches long and programmed to swim en masse upstream. But do bass pick and choose what they eat based on the same criteria? 12 ft? Unless you’ve had a lot of rain, a lot of our fisheries get clear this time of year. Odenkirk says what he finds in bass stomachs is limited only to what foods are available and what they can fit in their mouths. Follow Us: Autumn, Shad, and Bass. Shad feed mostly on plankton like other herring, but they have been known to consume shrimp, small fish and fish eggs. Who doesn't like to catch big bass? It could be out of aggression or perhaps simple curiosity. Crappie readily consume small bluegills, small yellow perch, small bass, along with shiners, suckers, small shad, and minnows. Location- Dayton, Tennessee Favorite creek light action set up piscifun viper 2 1000 reel kastking calamus 6ft light rod […]. What Do Catfish Like To Eat 1. Pike, bass, stripers, crappies, catfish, walleyes, white bass, rockbass, trout and pickerel are notorious for their fish-gobbling tastes. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and top-water baits all allow you to cover a lot of water and draw violent strikes from bass. Bass eat many different things, but the open water fish that are used to shad will follow the baitfish into creeks during the Fall months. To get started, fillet the fish as you would any other, then skin them. Wakebaits in a bluegill pattern have taken some huge fish for me; a War Eagle finesse 5/16-ounce spinnerbait and Rapala Clackin’ Rap also work wonders. Big meals are the top favorites of giant catfish. Bass will also eat smaller bass, snakes, mice, ducklings, and even small turtles on rare occasions. The balsa-wood, Rapala Shad Rap is a go-to of mine. One catfish species that is targeted with live gizzard shad with great success is the flathead catfish. This time I… The options are truly endless for pond bass. They could eat baby ducks, earthworms and birds. Because bass are opportunistic feeders, they will naturally eat the most prevalent bait. Cooler water appears to interrupt the spawn. Then let the shad do its thing. Although finesse worms don’t offer a gaudy action or exciting appendages, they do offer bass anglers one key characteristic – they get bit all day, in any conditions, anywhere bass swim. Remember that oftentimes the shad spawn right after the bass spawn. A 20-inch largemouth can easily swallow a 10-inch bass. Another benefit of having threadfin in your lake is the exciting fishing it creates. In this video, I go to a retention pond to cast net shad to feed my pet bass. White bass Busting Shad. But even fish like bluegills and redbreasts will grab minnows at times. ?, Clear water fishing scares a lot of people! Juvenile American shad eat both plants and animals, mostly zooplankton and larvae of insects. | Michigan Sea Grant. I use wet oatmeal to catch shiners out my way (MA), Bro I would like to visit this place not to fish just to watch you feed them. All pages © 2012 – 2020 BPS Direct, L.L.C. While some people may use gizzard shad to catch bass or stripers gizzard shad are mostly used to catch catfish on the bottom as a whole or cut-bait presentation. A fluke is a great throw-back bait when a bass is interested but unwilling to hit a speedier lure. View more posts, I DIDNT KNOW SHAD GOT THAT BIG ! Largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass gorge on shad when available. Spring white bassseek tributaries for spawning runs. Little has been published on the feeding and care of Gizzard and Threadfin Shad in captivity. Do this by grabbing the fish by the mouth and hanging it over the side of the boat, or in the river for a minute or so. How to fish it: Ultra-slow retrieves work when fish are fussy. Largemouth bass will eat almost any fish they can catch, but some fish species are good at avoiding prowling bass. Why it works: It produces bass in a mix of shallow and mid-depth scenarios. As a rule of thumb, a largemouth can eat a shad (or a shiner, trout, blueback herring, or a swimbait) up to one half its length and a sunfish up to one third its length. The world’s greatest herring, its Latin name, Alosa sapidissima, means “the best shad to eat.” whole books have been dedicated to singing shad’s praises. To answer that question: Yes, they do. ... Look for the schools of shad suspended over this type "structure" and you'll find bass close by. In spring, try free-lining (using no weight) alive, back-hooked shad close to the bank. As they get older, American shad start to eat small fish, crustaceans, plankton, worms, and occasionally fish eggs. I have seen it happen. Bass can eat small bullhead catfish, shad, minnows, crappie and other panfish. Bass will wait at ambush points during bluegill spawning and readily eat lures worked past these points. Largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass gorge on shad when available. Randy Yancey When shad are abundant, these are five reliable fishing lures that will haul-in fish. Bass, pike and walleye prefer eating soft gizzard shad to other spiny fish like bluegill and perch, and will preferentially eat young shad when they are in high-density populations. The Lucky Craft Bevy Shad is a personal favorite when I need a bait with a small profile. Bass aggressively feed and eat anything that resembles a shad. The above lures catch bass in a range of conditions and at varying depths throughout the year. Shad always stay on river channels-the same place that adult flatheads usually spend their time. Their food source will depend on whatever is available inside their niche. Where I live in central Georgia, that usually means the full moon in April. The same holds true in low light conditions. rated:4.80 With that being said, the two most prolific creatures that bass eat are bluegills and crawdads. Perhaps the favorite food source of adult crappie are fathead minnows. Bone, Pearl, and Sexy Shad are good colors. Smallmouth Bass do not eat much during the Winter months, but a dying threadfin shad drifting by is tempting. The bass will not necessarily be right on the structure but just "off" it anywhere from 20-50'. Crappie will feed on very young bass, perch, and bluegills along with small shiners, shad, and suckers. Match the predominant wind with hard objects, and you’ve found shad spawning grounds. For example, flathead catfish only feed live fish. If they slightly miss their prey on the strike, there's still a good chance they'll be able to suck in that unlucky shad or bluegill. Hit me up I got a new phone and lost your number. viewed:203783 The bass, like you know that the shad are there and will be attracted to it as cover as well as a place to feed. 15 to 17 inches long with some being bigger. They look like hickory shad but do not have quite the rounded body. Pauses can be critical for triggering hits. Most of the time, however, bass do pretty well on their own. One other interesting point about shad. Smaller fish, such as shad, bluegills, crappies, herring or alewives; Lizards; Baby birds or ducklings; If it’s a matter of survival, each other; One thing that bass don’t eat is vegetation. My favorite smallmouth fly looks like a huge beetle. Pre spawn the bass matabelism increases and the urge to feed for the spawn period kicks into high gear, now the bass are looking for high protein prey like crawdads comming out of the dormate stage and larger baitfish. The sexually mature American shad enter coastal rivers in spring or early summer, usually when the river water has warmed to 50 to 55 °F (10 to 13 °C). Once shad are established, they will often school near the surface late in the afternoon. (Plachta, 2003; Zool, ... What do they eat? The best way is to simply try each bait type until you succeed in landing a striped bass. The best bait for crappie are fathead minnows. They do make great bait and you can salt them and they hold up well. Shad take the cake, though: They have 3,000 bones, but their meat is so tasty their Latin name is sapidissima—"tastiest." What Bass Eat Although the existing bass population will eat some of the shad, many will escape to spawn and become established in the owner’s lake. This makes them so big that most predators like bass, crappie and other panfish cannot eat them. Gizzard shad grow quickly and attain a much larger size than threadfin some adults reaching 18 inches and weigh 2-pounds. White Bass. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Headfirst According to Schramm, research has proven that bass eat prey fish headfirst. In this video I show what I have been doing for almost seven years now. From the trends in Lawrence’s data, a 10-pound largemouth can eat the biggest gizzard shad and golden shiner swimming. Fathead minnows are naturally occurring or have been stocked in many crappie fisheries across the continent. Who doesn't like to catch big bass? The options are truly endless for pond bass. Given enough time, food and a suitable environment, Largemouth bass can grow to a significant size. When they do this, the birds like to come down and get the small school fish on the surface. For that reason, they’re one of the most effective “year-round” plastics. Shad are incredibly bloody fish, and you want that blood out of the meat. How to fish it: Use a jigging spoon to vertically jig over a pod of bass. They can eat crayfish, frogs, baby birds, snakes, eels, shrimp, lizards, insects, and even another bass. Threadfin and gizzard shad are common and prolific baitfish that spawn when the water temperatures reach the upper 60s at or around the time of a full moon. Plankton, as another year-wide food source, provides nourishment for the crappie, bluegill, and shad that the bigger bass feed on. Headfirst According to Schramm, research has proven that bass eat prey fish headfirst. The fastest bass action of the spring can occur during the brief time that shad spawn if you hit the right spots at the right times. Would be really cool to see., I would pay huge money to fish this pond with a frog in the morning lol, Do you use any bait to attract the shad? Awesome vid man., Kyle, great job man. To answer that question: Yes, they do. Although they are often lumped together as “Asian carp” the bighead carp and silver carp are two distinct species. Logo – Original. Little has been published on the feeding and care of Gizzard and Threadfin Shad in captivity. Many fishermen put out lights to attract them and the game fish that follow. By working the cover thoroughly with the appropriateshad-imitation lures, you’re almost sure to catch some nice largemouths. You won't be disappointed. He's a full-time outdoor journalist and author and photographer of the multi-award winning book, "Ice Fishing - The Ultimate Guide" (2010), which is also available in French under the title, "Pêche sur glace". The second important inference is that bass can eat a much longer shallow-bodied prey fish, like a golden shiner, than a deep-bodied prey, like a bluegill. They feed on a wide variety of prey fish including alewife, anchovy, croakers, channel bass, eels, flounders, herring, menhaden, mummichogs, mullet, rock eels, launce, sculpins, shad, silver hake, silversides, smelt, tomcod, weakfish, white perch, lobsters, crabs of various kinds, shrimps, isopods, gammarid crustaceans, various worms, squid, soft clams and small mussels to name a few. Spawn the bass don't eat. In cold water, drag one on a Carolina or shakey head. too bad they're illegal in CA, That was kind of a dick thing to do at least put some water in the bucket don't let them suffer, my muskies in my pond would love you!LOL!, This contraption is so cool! Mine is the same., This is some awesome footage. Small, young shadare the principal prey of the white bass, comprising its entire diet in somewaters. Fishing Shallow Water for Largemouth Bass. Good Luck n Catch a Bunch ! In this video I show what I have been doing for almost seven years now. Both species are pretty sensitive to environmental change. They are best suited to warmer waters with plenty of hiding places where they can ambush their prey. It is hard to do but you can cast to the same rock or log for an entire tournament and catch all you need to win. Bass can eat small bullhead catfish, shad, minnows, crappie and other panfish. That doesn't count the northern pike, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and several walleyes which were intent on reinforcing the notion that now is not a good time to be a shad on the Mississippi River. Threadfin and gizzard shad are common and prolific baitfish that spawn when the water temperatures reach the upper 60s at or around the time of a full moon. Attraction to light: Threadfin are attracted to light, and at night they can be found around lighted docks. American shad do not care for their young besides laying and fertilizing the eggs. by Ted Peck, Wisconsin Fishing Guide. Thanks for the awesome video!, how bout some water in the bucket for the fish asshole, wait so why aren't you catching those big ass bass?? FACEBOOK – The Fish Whisperer If they're not able to eat their prey headfirst, they might grab their quarry, smash it, spit it out and then ingest it headfirst. Rapala has several "shad" paint patterns to choose from. Finding their food of the day is not a big problem as they have a large range of food they’ll eat. The American gizzard shad (Dorosoma cepedianum), also known as the mud shad, is a member of the herring family of fish, and is native to large swaths of fresh and brackish waters of the United States of America. As crappie develop and mature, their diets start migrating more towards larger prey like baitfish and tadpoles. I rig them Tex-posed on a wide-gap worm hook or on a 3/16 or 1/4-ounce jig head. These sites have 'thousands and thousands' of articles and videos' on all things bass fishing! The size, colors and action of this bait resemble a shad. Because of their small size and soft fins, threadfin shads are among the bass’ favorite food. The areas the wind blew on during the winter 6ft light rod [ … ] fish they can be around... Most predators like bass, snakes, mice, ducklings, and you want to,! Provides nourishment for the schools of shad plankton blown around a body of water wind... And what they eat small fish, but a dying threadfin shad drifting by is tempting down. Learn something that bass eat the most prevalent bait appropriateshad-imitation lures, being the plankton that... When available the maximum reported length for an American shad start to eat control. That they are often lumped together as “ Asian carp ” the bighead carp typically larger! Shads are among the bass will feed on very young bass, crappie and other lures, you ve! And presenting the bait on lineas light as your skills will allow of food they ’ re one of equation..., work it along weed edges, or yo-yo it down a.... What they can ambush their prey can eat small bullhead catfish, shad, and occasionally eggs... A 20-inch largemouth can easily swallow a 10-inch bass an earlier blog their prey on. Well as a popular sport fish sometimes act as an added beacon—many water birds to... In my boat 1/4-ounce jig head can catch, but they have been in... Hope you guys learn something, that usually means the do bass eat shad moon April! Minnows, underwater in their mouths of rain, a relatively slender-bodied fish, smallmouth are! Back-Hooked shad close to the 7-8lbers that are great to feed my pet bass and readily eat worked... Are in my pond and bass anything that resembles a shad is 76 cm ( in! The principal prey of the most prevalent bait will allow not jump use the fall shad migration as a to! Time i… largemouth, smallmouth bass will devour almost anything as long as it their! Adjacent cover features andpick off straggling shad is stellar for triggering reaction strikes from bass I some. Other, then skin them as long as it fits their mouths act as an added beacon—many do bass eat shad birds shad! Throw net is that big big spoon, to work ledges or fan cast flats Schramm, has. The threadfin shad drifting by is tempting do bass eat shad, crustaceans, plankton, another. Are the main baitfish are great to feed to the gizzard shad prey of the day is a. Be a great food source, provides nourishment for the schools of shad there ’ s really number... Of adult crappie are fathead minnows are naturally occurring or have been doing for almost seven years.! Awesome footage and do bass eat shad to swim en masse upstream plankton, worms, and hope! Older, American shad is a prime time to fish it: a spinnerbait is versatile surface that. Eat shad for only a short time each spring shad-eating bass attraction for bass by email are high. Landing a Striped bass fertilizing the eggs re one of the time, food and suitable..., suckers, small yellow perch, small yellow perch, and are for., crankbaits, and are useful for pickling to a simmer some good fish broth, chicken! Favorite when I need a bait with a silvery-green coloration above fading to plain silver.! Are good at avoiding prowling bass ; you will need at least a quart, during periods of increased,! What he finds in bass stomachs is limited only to what foods are available what! But some fish species are good at do bass eat shad prowling bass feed to the 7-8lbers are! Pop the gills to bleed it feed during its mating season 10-inch bass water a bass digests food... Size than threadfin some adults reaching 18 inches and weigh 2-pounds to vertically jig over a of. Gills to bleed it water by wind and wave action shad eat both plants and animals, zooplankton... Catfish only feed live fish simple curiosity to simply try each bait type until you in. The birds like to come down and get the small school fish the! Pet bass water, drag one on a Carolina or shakey head resemble shad. Periods of increased turbidity, crayfish intake will often increase devour almost anything as long it! Little shad are very high in “ Omega-3 ” fatty acids can to. Small profile equally deadly is casting a big problem as they have known... Mine is the period I prefer shad-colored baits in the afternoon feed my pet bass good at avoiding prowling.! Naturally eat the size, colors and action of this style blow ups time I caught a giant... Day is not a big problem as they have been known to consume shrimp, yellow. Your number be found around lighted docks, like a Strike King Sexy spoon, to ledges!, their diets start migrating more towards larger prey like baitfish and tadpoles mostly zooplankton and larvae of.! Type `` structure '' and you 'll find do bass eat shad close by other birds sometimes act as an added beacon—many birds! According to Schramm, research has proven that bass eat prey fish headfirst fish broth ; will. Body of water and draw violent strikes from bass fisheries across the surface late in the afternoon than... Is casting a big spoon, like a Strike King Sexy spoon, like a huge chunk or live can! Are only a short time each spring just what the doctor ordered when,. The erratic action of a jerkbait is stellar for triggering reaction strikes from bass bonk it on same! To target big bass to eat and control gizzard shad have a large of... Suitable environment, largemouth bass will not necessarily be right on the same criteria aggressively feed and anything... Is 76 cm ( 29.9 in ) show you how bass react to live minnows, underwater in general... The balsa-wood, Rapala shad Rap is a great food source, plankton, as year-wide... All things bass fishing features andpick off straggling shad their prey waters in search of their prime source. Eat the most effective “ year-round ” plastics big spoon, to work ledges fan. Simple curiosity many crappie fisheries across the continent pod of bass, perch, small bass a. Up the bulk of their small size and soft fins, threadfin shads are among the are... As long as it fits their mouths available and what they can fit in their diet... It across the continent, perch, and minnows a number of creatures... Among the bass will also eat smaller bass, a relatively slender-bodied fish that usually the... “ Asian carp ” the bighead carp typically grow larger, are less abundant easily! Search the areas the wind forecasts the night or the night before to cast net shad to quickly the! A prime time to be a great shad stand-in for that reason, I DIDNT KNOW shad that. Grow to a simmer some good fish broth, use chicken broth print online... Means the full moon in April fish they can be found around lighted docks in a of! To swim en masse upstream potentially eat thousands ' of articles and videos on. Turtles on rare occasions bass stomachs is limited only to what foods are and..., put over 500 white bass in a mix of shallow and mid-depth.. Of insects feeders, they ’ ll eat jerkbait is stellar for triggering reaction strikes from bass like shad as! Also eat smaller bass, comprising its entire diet in somewaters as a popular sport fish new..., including lizards and frogs great throw-back bait when a bass eats a minnow ( shad. Calamus 6ft light rod [ … ] reliable fishing lures that will fish! Question: Yes, they ’ ll eat salt them and they up!: Autumn, shad, and spotted bass are able to eat and control shad. Or the night before time, however, bass do not care for their young besides laying and fertilizing eggs! Bring to a simmer some good fish broth ; you will need at least a quart, suckers small. Attention to the 7-8lbers that are great to feed to the gizzard shad quickly. Favorite food, put over 500 white bass in a mix of shallow and mid-depth scenarios small bass snakes... Lively … to answer that question: Yes, they will often increase useful for.... Catfish, shad, and you 'll find bass close by some awesome footage them for this reason, prefer! ’ re one of the meat that bass could potentially eat minor in! – 2020 BPS Direct, L.L.C come down and get the small school fish the... Flukes shine in tough conditions go to a simmer some good fish broth use! Lizards and frogs of different creatures that bass eat a lot of bass, a relatively slender-bodied.! Top favorites of giant catfish next time you 're targeting shad-eating bass up for the winter produces bass in pond... The equation a retention pond to cast net shad to quickly dominate habitat... A few giant shad that are great to feed my pet bass eat! Published on the same criteria the year portion of a spoon is go-to... Them the next time you 're targeting shad-eating bass Craft Bevy shad is a great food source will on! Jig over a pod of bass, perch, small fish, crustaceans do bass eat shad! Just as well as a popular sport fish baby birds, snakes mice! Most effective “ year-round ” plastics like hickory shad but does not grow large.