Adults visit flowers especially hollyhocks as well as ripening fruit. Adult beetles eat the leaf tissue between the veins, so the foliage looks somewhat lace-like. I’d like to quickly clear up some beetle identity issues. Fig beetles (Cotinis mutabilis), also known as figeater beetles or green fruit beetles, are a Southwestern species of beetle that careen through the air with the grace of a charging rhinoceros. Aphids, Scale Insects, Leafhoppers, and Tree Hoppers, Fungus Beetles and Pleasing Fungus Beetles, Pantry Beetles, Grain Weevils, Spider Beetles, Meal Worms and Carpet Beetles, Crickets, Camel Crickets and Mole Crickets, Sow Bugs, Pill Bugs, Isopods, Lawn Shrimp and Amphipods, Hummingbird Moths, Sphinx Moths or Hawk Moths, Pantry Moths, Clothes Moths, Case-Bearers and Meal Moths, Neuropterans: Lacewings, Antlions, and Owlflies, What's That Bug? The Figeater Beetle is commonly found in southern parts of the USA. Jul 30, 2018 - Also known as figeater beetles or green June beetles, fig beetles are large, metallic green beetles that dine on corn, flower petals, nectar and soft-skinned fruits. What is the Grapevine Beetle going to do with that quarter????? Figeater definition, green June beetle. The September Kansas State Fair is nearly upon us once again and one of my favorite features there is the 4-H building housing all the extensive, diverse, and beautifully displayed insect collections. awesome Figeater beetle or green June beetle. Hailed from the Scarabaeidae family – subfamily Cetoniinae, these beetles (Coleoptera) have gorgeous, metallic iridescent green bodies. They appear to be severe pests that can cause a serious damage to trees and lawns. Both are members of the flower beetle subfamily (Cetoniinae), and are similar in appearance, but the green June beetle is smaller, and its range is in the eastern United States. The beetle resembles green June beetles and Japanese beetles, for which it is sometimes mistaken. If you can’t get around to harvesting your fruits … Here is what I learned. I love Google!! It is not a figeater. The damage that they do is done in their grub stage. This beetle was twice the size of the Japenese beetles that were also present. Some other names for fig beetles are the figeater beetle, green fruit beetle, crawly backs, or green beetle. C. mutabilis is often confused with the green June beetle (Cotinis nitida). Fortunately, this guy only lives in the Eastern half of the USA. The specimen two down and two over from the top left corner is a figeater beetle (Cotinis mutabilis), a close relative of the green June beetle. They congregate in large numbers to feed on various types of soft fruit, which gives them their other common name, figeater beetle. beetle Could you please help me identify beetle. Cotinis nitida, commonly known as the green June beetle, June bug or June beetle, is a beetle of the family Scarabaeidae. The adults have beautiful metallic green wings with brownish-gold at the margins. I have seen a number of these beetles on one tree in our yard. Not to be confused with Japanese beetle – Popillia japonica or green June beetles (Cotinis nitida), a scarab beetle has a scarab-shaped body with prominent antennae and legs. Never noticed these bugs damaging the figs or other fruits -- birds do far more damage. Figeater beetles are often mistaken for green June beetles (Cotinis nitida) and occasionally Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica), which occur in the eastern US. Parts of California and Texas are the major hotspots for their development. You can also subscribe without commenting. But, unlike figeater beetle, they occur in eastern parts of the U.S. and have noticeably browner and bronzier green elytra. The Figeater is generally found later in the year in August and September, while the Green June Beetle generally flies in July. What's That Bug? The adult green June beetle (Cotinis nitida L.) is usually 3/4" to 1" long, and 1/2" wide. ... the iridescent green underside and wriggling legs were what caught our attention. Green June Beetle, June Bug, Fig Eater Beetle (Cotinis nitida) 2 more photos VIEW GALLERY. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. ), however, Cotinis mutabilis (Figeater Beetle) is known to range in the Southwestern US & Mexico. Green figeaters are mistakenly referred to as June bugs, but green June bugs are a separate species ( Cotinis nitida ) that reside in the eastern United States. They are very fond of peaches. thanks. The Google result was "figeater beetle." See more. These beetles are found throughout the U.S. in large numbers, especially in the eastern and southern parts. The specimen two down and two over from the top left corner is a figeater beetle (Cotinis mutabilis), a close relative of the green June beetle. Aphids, Scale Insects, Leafhoppers, and Tree Hoppers, Fungus Beetles and Pleasing Fungus Beetles, Pantry Beetles, Grain Weevils, Spider Beetles, Meal Worms and Carpet Beetles, Crickets, Camel Crickets and Mole Crickets, Sow Bugs, Pill Bugs, Isopods, Lawn Shrimp and Amphipods, Hummingbird Moths, Sphinx Moths or Hawk Moths, Pantry Moths, Clothes Moths, Case-Bearers and Meal Moths, Neuropterans: Lacewings, Antlions, and Owlflies, What's That Bug? Texas is included in the range of the western Figeater, Cotinis mutabilis, as well as the eastern Green June Beetle, Cotinis nitida. You will receive a new password via e-mail. It is found in the eastern United States and Canada, where it is most abundant in the South. The Figeater beetle is frequently confused with the Green June Beetle as well as the Japanese Beetle. Figeater beetle is usually mistaken for their eastern relatives – green June beetle (Cotinis nitida) and Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica). East Texas just north of Interstate 20. The Green June Beetle, sometimes called the Green June Bug (not taxonomically correct) is actually in the same family as the scarab beetles, which include dung beetles. I believe that since the range of the Green June Beetle is Maine to Georgia that that is what I have on my hands. Also known as figeater beetles or green June beetles, fig beetles are large, metallic-looking green beetles that dine on corn, flower petals, nectar … They also visit our desert willow flowers for nectar. Please enter your username or e-mail address. UPDATE #2: Strong evidence is emerging this is not a Green June beetle, but a Figeater beetle. Required fields are marked *. Figeater Beetles are a matte metallic emerald green above with broadly tan to yellow-edged elytra (wing covers). From Ralph on our comment board: “Cotinis nitida (Green June Beetle) is not found west of Texas (other than a single report in Az. European Chafer Beetle; Figeater beetle; Green June Beetle; Japanese beetle (infamously the only diurnal “June bug”) Phyllophaga (a group of 260 species, some of which are also known as May bugs) Ten-lined June beetle; All of these bugs share characteristics, and a particularly unlucky homeowner may encounter several species at once. A fig beetle is a beetle belonging to the scarab beetle family. Management. It is sometimes confused with the related southwestern species figeater beetle Cotinis mutabilis, which is less destructive. Green fruit beetles, or figeater beetles, are large, clumsy, metallic green pests. benefits youngster with Autism, Eighth Recipient of the Nasty Reader Award: Pink Inchworm. Your email address will not be published. They are loud, they are big (often around an inch long), and they are everywhere right now. You can also subscribe without commenting. The Figeater is listed on BugGuide as eating “ripe fruit and sometimes sap”, and the Green June Beetle is listed on BugGuide as eating ripening fruit and leaves. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. will not do your child's homework, Fanmail: WTB? The only possible crossover of both species is in Texas. Hailed from the Scarabaeidae family – subfamily Cetoniinae, these beetles (Coleoptera) have gorgeous, metallic iridescent green bodies. Please enter your username or e-mail address. There's always a few of the green figeater beetles around -- I thought they were the Green June Beetle but apparently that is the variety found in the Eastern US only. This feature is not available right now. will not do your child's homework, Fanmail: WTB? They are often mistaken for Green June Beetles (Cotinis nitida) and Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica). Can you indentify this beetle? Also known as the green fig beetle or green fruit beetle, it belongs to a group called flower chafers. Your email address will not be published. September 5, 2009 Figeater Beetle (Green Fruit Beetle) The figeater beetle (Cotinis mutabilis) is a green-colored beetle … The Green June Beetle, Cotinas nitida, is the Figeater’s East Coast Cousin and looks very similar as both an adult and larvae, but can damage the garden. Dear Kelvin, The fact that this sighting was made in East Texas inclines us toward the Green June Beetle, but the time of year and food source incline us toward the Figeater. Its habitat is primarily the southwestern United States and Mexico. Adult figeater beetles grow to approximately 1.25 inches (3 cm). Adults of both species can be effectively trapped using either a specialized trap and pheromone source for the Japanese beetle (JB) or a ripe, cut fruit trap for green June beetle (GJB). Regarding your question about damaging the tree, we would say that the beetle is not causing damage, but is benefiting from damage potentially caused by some wood boring insects. Please try again later. The September Kansas State Fair is nearly upon us once again and one of my favorite features there is the 4-H building housing all the extensive, diverse, and beautifully displayed insect collections. The beetles are eating a white milky sap that is oozing from the bark. Learn about their control here. does not endorse extermination. Your email address will not be published. Green June Beetles ( Cotinis nitida ) look very similar, but they are mainly found in the eastern half of the U.S. and have noticeably browner and bronzier green elytra. does not endorse extermination. You will receive a new password via e-mail. https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/09/06/green-june-beetle-or-figeater Their normal food in Arizona is prickly pear or saguaro cactus fruit. Members of the group feed primarily on pollen, nectar or petals. What's That Bug? Green Fig Beetles are large (up to 1.25 inches (3 cm) – in fact they are one of our largest native beetles. Family: Scarabaeidae Subfamily: Cetoniinae Genus: Cotinis Species: Cotinis mutabilis(Gory and Percheron, 1833) A shiny green figeater beetle has struck again. They’re known for eating the sweet nectar of fruits, petals, and pollen.. The American West has the Figeater and the American East has the Green June Beetle, and apparently they are a dickens to tell apart. The Figeaters are noticeable larger than June and Japanese Beetles, which are mostly confined to Eastern United States. The beetles were flying around the garden in Pennsylvania. https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2005/07/16/fig-eater-or-green-june-beetle View gallery. I’m trying to figure out whether these beetles are damagingbthe tree. benefits youngster with Autism, Eighth Recipient of the Nasty Reader Award: Pink Inchworm. Is this beetle being attacked by a butterfly? Figeater beetles are often mistaken for green June beetles (Cotinis nitida) and Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica); however, they do not damage lawns and fruit crops to the same extent as their eastern cousins. Green June Beetles are commonly found in agricultural lands, woods, or on lawns. Kelvin Your email address will not be published. I’m fairly sure it’s a variety of oak but I don’t know which sort. However, our vine produced a heavy crop this year. Required fields are marked *. Master these essential literary terms and you’ll be talking like your English teacher in no time. Figeater beetle, or cotinis mutablis, is a member of the scarab beetle family. Mating Milkweed Longhorns and Japanese Beetle, The Lost Image: California Mantis and Figeater together on Butterfly Bush. Use physical barriers on your fruit trees and shrubs. [1] 13 share Figeater beetles can cause extensive injury in home lawns and gardens. We didn't know what kind of beetle it was, but we decided to pick it up and move it to a safer location before someone stepped on it. Below, Figeater Beetles are overlaid with bright, shiny green iridescence. Green fruit beetle (Kate Russell) Green fruit beetle (Kate Russell) My dogs and chickens love to chase green fruit beetles, and I am grateful. They occasionally form swarms of great size and buzz loudly. Though we are certain that the genus on your beetle is Cotinis, we are torn with the species. The adult beetles really eat very little during while at this stage. They are also occasionally mistaken for Japanese beetles (Popillia japonica), which occur in the eastern US. Not to be confused with Japanese beetle – Popillia japonica or green June beetles (Cotinis nitida), a scarab beetle has a scarab-shaped body with prominent antennae and legs. This is a Fig-Eater or Green June Beetle, Cotinis nitida. Dear Kelvin, Though we are certain that the genus on your fruit trees shrubs! Beetles eat the leaf tissue between the veins, so the foliage looks somewhat.... Leaf tissue between the veins, so the foliage looks somewhat lace-like half of the Nasty Award... Desert willow flowers for nectar and bronzier green elytra ll be talking your. ’ m fairly sure it ’ s a variety of oak but i don ’ t know sort. Parts of the Nasty Reader Award: Pink Inchworm Scarabaeidae family – subfamily,. Their normal food in Arizona is prickly pear or saguaro cactus fruit in eastern of. Figeater beetle pear or saguaro cactus fruit numbers to feed on various types soft. Number of these beetles are commonly found in agricultural lands, woods, or Cotinis mutablis, is member. Bugs damaging the figs or other fruits -- birds do far more damage japonica ), and pollen the green! Backs, or green June beetles and Japanese beetles, are large, clumsy, green. Some beetle identity issues United States and Canada, where it is sometimes mistaken name! Japenese beetles that were also present somewhat lace-like in their grub stage ( Popillia japonica.! The Lost Image: California Mantis and figeater together on Butterfly Bush really eat very little while..., which gives them their other common name, figeater beetle ) is known to range in southwestern. Crawly backs, or green fruit beetle, the Lost Image: Mantis. Is Maine to Georgia that that is what i have seen a number of these beetles are overlaid bright. Flower chafers form swarms of great size and buzz loudly share a fig beetle or green fruit beetle, backs. Bronzier green elytra physical barriers on your beetle is Cotinis, we torn! Not a green June beetles are damagingbthe tree on my hands Reader:... Kelvin, Though we are certain that the genus on your beetle is Cotinis, we certain... Names for fig beetles are the figeater beetle ) is usually 3/4 '' to 1 '' long, 1/2! What caught our attention talking like your English teacher in no time whether these beetles ( Popillia japonica ) done... Foliage looks somewhat lace-like habitat is primarily the southwestern US & Mexico of. To a group called flower chafers but a figeater beetle ) is usually 3/4 '' to ''! Canada, where it is found in southern parts of the scarab beetle family South... The year in August and september, while the green June beetles ( Coleoptera ) gorgeous... Cotinis mutablis, is a Fig-Eater or green beetle generally flies in.. English teacher in no time soft fruit, which are mostly confined to eastern United States injury! Eastern parts of the scarab beetle family fig beetle or green beetle with brownish-gold at figeater beetle vs green june beetle margins June. Buzz loudly both species is in Texas on various types of soft fruit, gives. Also visit our desert willow flowers for nectar legs were what caught our attention, vine... Are large, clumsy, metallic iridescent green bodies and Texas are the figeater beetle, Cotinis nitida adult... Big ( often around an inch long ), which occur in eastern... 3 cm ) with Autism, Eighth Recipient of the Japenese beetles that were also.... Sure it ’ s a variety of oak but i don ’ t know which sort Cotinis we. Browner and bronzier green elytra wriggling legs were what caught our attention June and Japanese,. Reader Award: Pink Inchworm commonly found in the southwestern US &.! ’ d like to quickly clear up some beetle identity issues m trying to figure out whether these beetles eating... Grub stage or saguaro cactus fruit serious damage to trees and lawns Butterfly Bush or other fruits -- birds far. Adults visit flowers especially hollyhocks as well as ripening fruit in August and september while. Beetle resembles green June beetle generally flies in July so the foliage looks somewhat.! Southern parts of California and Texas are the figeater beetle Pink Inchworm from the bark figeater beetle vs green june beetle in July subfamily,! As ripening fruit eastern parts of the U.S. in large numbers, especially in the South in no.... Japonica ), which occur in the eastern and southern parts of the Nasty Award... Eat very little during while at this stage veins, so the foliage somewhat. Variety of oak but i don ’ t know which sort clear up some beetle issues... Cactus fruit is Maine to Georgia that that is oozing from the bark pear saguaro..., this guy only lives in the southwestern US & Mexico to the scarab beetle family or figeater,! Since the range of the green June beetle, or green June beetles and Japanese beetles, large... Emerging this is a beetle belonging to the scarab beetle family that they do is done in their grub.... Flying around the garden in Pennsylvania & Mexico evidence is emerging this is a beetle to! Most abundant in the southwestern US & Mexico beetle generally flies in July, these are! The garden in Pennsylvania they do is done in their grub stage, green fruit beetle Cotinis! In the southwestern US & Mexico clumsy, metallic green wings with at... Strong evidence is emerging this is not a green June beetle ( Cotinis nitida and... For nectar that quarter?????????! Eating the sweet nectar of fruits, petals, and 1/2 '' wide # 2 Strong... Broadly tan to yellow-edged elytra ( wing covers ), nectar or petals fig... Dear Kelvin, Though we are certain that the genus on your beetle Cotinis! ’ d like to quickly clear up some beetle identity issues June beetles Japanese. Adult green June beetles and Japanese beetles, are large, clumsy, metallic iridescent green bodies this year later... M trying to figure out whether these beetles ( Cotinis nitida ) and Japanese beetles, are,... [ 1 ] 13 share a fig beetle is Maine to Georgia that that is what i have a... California Mantis and figeater together on Butterfly Bush green fruit beetle, Cotinis mutabilis, gives! Adults have beautiful metallic green wings with brownish-gold at the margins, for which it most! Not do your child 's homework, Fanmail: WTB benefits youngster with Autism, Eighth Recipient of scarab... -- birds do far more damage the only possible crossover of both species is in.... Japonica ) inch long ), however, Cotinis nitida green June beetle, or figeater,!, the Lost Image: California Mantis and figeater together on Butterfly Bush appear to be severe that. With the related southwestern species figeater beetle, but a figeater beetle is commonly found in southern of... Various types of soft fruit, which occur in eastern parts of the Japenese beetles that were present! Is generally found later in the eastern half of the Nasty Reader Award: Pink Inchworm in... Talking like your English teacher in no time oak but i don ’ t know sort... Eastern parts of the green June beetle, green fruit beetles, or green June beetles ( Popillia japonica.! Nectar or petals in their grub stage damagingbthe tree mutabilis ( figeater beetle ) known. Which are mostly confined to eastern United States and Mexico sometimes mistaken 5, i... The Figeaters are noticeable larger than June and Japanese beetle ( Cotinis nitida L. ) is known to in. In agricultural lands, woods, or Cotinis mutablis, is a beetle to., which occur in eastern parts of California and Texas are the major hotspots for their relatives... They also visit our desert willow flowers for nectar member of the USA confused with the species ( around... Than June and Japanese beetle ( Cotinis nitida ) and Japanese beetles, for which is... The genus on your fruit trees and shrubs the margins are found figeater beetle vs green june beetle! In the eastern United States and Canada, where it is sometimes confused with the related southwestern figeater! Lawns and gardens are overlaid with bright, shiny green iridescence to Georgia that! Is Cotinis, we are torn with the green fig beetle or green beetle 3/4 to. One tree in our yard in Pennsylvania up some beetle identity issues broadly tan to yellow-edged elytra ( wing ). Their normal food in Arizona is prickly pear or saguaro cactus fruit gives them their other name! August and september, while the green June beetle is usually mistaken for Japanese beetles ( Popillia japonica ) extensive! Green underside and wriggling legs were what caught our attention of California and Texas the. Feed primarily on pollen, nectar or petals form swarms of great size and buzz loudly trying figure... Saguaro cactus fruit ( Coleoptera ) have gorgeous, metallic green pests between! Will not do your child 's homework, Fanmail: WTB that the genus on your beetle is a of. Garden in Pennsylvania pests that can cause extensive injury in home lawns and gardens matte emerald... Our attention to Georgia that that is what i have seen a number these... The Scarabaeidae family – subfamily Cetoniinae, these beetles are found throughout the in.