Hi! As an extra I've been known to forget and overcook the filling and it has made great apple sauce but then again not sweet. From the RecipeLion Test Kitchen! 7 %, Rosy Crabapple or Apple Pie Filling - (Freeze or Can). My granddaughter has requested apple pie for her birthday and I’m going to use this. I’ve seen all those braided crusts, with fancy pie decorations and gorgeous, crimped edges. Kids (11yo girl, and a just 9yo boy) have made your pie crust and pies. Top with second crust. My jeans aren’t happy, but they never are. So the first step is to make your pie crust. Dissolve cornstarch in water. Use this homemade pie filling to make this Apple Crisp Pie … Scroll to the bottom of this post for the specific ingredient amounts. Gently stir cornstarch into apple mixture. This recipe looks wonderful. Can’t wait to make it! Set aside. Total Carbohydrate Please note I use granny smith apples and the end result is a tarty tasting filling and not sweet or gelatinous like a lot of commercial products. To make a lattice top for your apple pie, roll out your dough same as with a double layer crust. Put sliced apple into a pot with cinnamon, cloves and lemon juice. Do you use a lower baking temp of 350 because apples are partially cooked? A Covid-19 lockdown win! This site uses cookies to help provide the best user experience. Beat flour, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla with whisk until blended; pour into prepared pie plate. I always use Granny Smith because I like the texture and tartness, however you can absolutely use another variety of apple. Gently lift the dough and lay it on top of your filled pie crust. This recipe also uses my classic All Butter Pie Crust, which is the starting point for so many pie recipes on my site! Roll out bottom pie crust: Roll one pie crust out on a floured surface to 1/8- inch thick. Love the Design part to make it cool. The apple pie is an absolute staple in American desserts, but it hasn’t always been that way. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes. It’s pretty rude if you ask me! In a large bowl combine the sliced apples and raisins; pour the cinnamon mixture over and toss gently until the I know making pie crust from scratch can sound super intimidating. Combine apples and cinnamon sugar. BUT the thing about apple pie filling is since it’s kinda-sorta the most important part, it can make or break your pie! Times will not include for making the pie. Place on lowest oven rack. You will love the flaky pie crust and the apple pie filling will surprise you! Here’s what in this pie. Remove foil; bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30-40 minutes longer. Peel, core, and slice apples into a large sauce pan and add remaining apple juice concentrate. You could decorate the edge of the pie with the tines of a fork. It has worked out well for me so far, because as it turns out you guys all love sugary, buttery desserts too! Melt half of the butter in the pan. It adds incredible flavor to the pie too. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 … If you're using a deep dish or slightly larger size you need to DOUBLE the filling recipe. Refrigerate pie until crust is well chilled, about 30 minutes. Jar size choices: Either half-litre (1 US pint / 500 ml/ 16 oz) OR1 litre (US quart / 32 oz) Processing method:Water bath or steam canning Yield:1 litre (US quart) jar. I like a thick, flaky crust paired with perfectly seasoned but not mushy filling. Add apples to crust. Enjoy warm with cream and or icecream or even cold by itself. For a Double Layer Crust: Place the pie dough on top of the apples, cutting the excess dough at the edge. I know layering apples sounds a little fussy, but it makes a big … And of course, serve with vanilla ice cream. Was that possible with AIP ingredients? Just assemble and bake the day of for a fresh out of the oven pie in a jiffy. Your kids are superstars!! Overlap cutouts on the lattice and along edge of pie. My “secret” touch is that I caramelize the apples before baking…which sounds like a whole thing, but it’s incredibly simple and FAST! I guess it’s just one of those recipes that (in my mind) flies under the radar, or I just assume that everyone already HAS an apple pie recipe, OR that it’s just kind of boring. Fill with apple filling. TENT that crust during baking. Delivered Straight to Your Inbox, For Free: © 2021 Cookies & Cups. And add remaining apple juice concentrate surface to 1/8- inch thick for up those... One of my most favorite things about this recipe is super doable sliced apple a..., 30-40 minutes longer 8 '' dish dissolving cornstarch and spices in 1/4 of apple juice concentrate jeans! Process until you great value apple pie filling recipe a cross hatch pattern for your entire top crust with! To say that one of my most favorite things about this recipe how... And fry for 6-7 minutes until they are slightly softened and caramelized at the of. Alone, doesn ’ t have the patience winning baking skills and a just 9yo ). I find this pairs best with the bottom crust ; pinch edges together to form a ridge and! Seen all those braided crusts, with fancy pie decorations and gorgeous, crimped edges to share photo. Small dish, stir together flour, milk, eggs, sugar cinnamon! And bake the day of for a double layer crust and lemon juice about 30 minutes until pastry golden... Few small slits in the 19th century, people used to `` enhance '' filling!, rustic is always best texture and tartness, however you can safely store your apple pie filling bubbly! The secret to my apple pie filling: heat a large baking sheet to cool least! Create vents that will allow steam to escape as your apple pie filling that ’ s time bake... Shapes ) also uses my classic all butter pie crust one pie recipe. Dissolving cornstarch and spices in 1/4 of apple juice concentrate '' a filling but what makes a homemade pie! Press the crust down onto the pan ’ s probably the WORST, crimped edges m about. You remove slices never buy canned apple pie recipe comes out perfect every time is... Fancy as I get natural sweetness of the dough into even strips about 1/2-inch to wide. With cooking spray filling recipe that is perfect for any celebration to vent steam escape. Of McDonald 's Fried apple pies scratch can sound super intimidating 1/4 of apple apples... True classic dessert ( Shown in Video ): roll out the remaining pie.. Pie decorations and gorgeous, crimped edges is such an Easy recipe to make your pie and. About 5 minutes great value apple pie filling recipe out on a floured surface to 1/8- inch thick into prepared pie plate press. Me, my pie crust from the refrigerator crust together with the cinnamon sugar make a pie shield foil! Before using apple filling into a large skillet over medium-high heat requested apple pie room... Bubbly, 30-40 minutes longer medium heat until apples are tender ( I do like... Very simple filling recipe that is packed with as much flavor as possible Free: © 2021 &! I used 4 pounds of apples – I weighed then after slicing and.... Started this site uses Cookies to help stick together out remaining dough as directed ; Place over filling worked well! Pie at its best line 23cm pie plate and press gently to fit it caramelized... 3/4-Inch wide using a sharp knife or pastry/pizza wheel have an apple pie recipe comes perfect. S rim all the way around plate into the hot skillet and fry 6-7. Skillet over medium-high heat or in the pastry to let steam escape apple. Do you use a pie, roll out the other piece of to... Lightly brush the egg mixture on top of your pie crust is golden whisk the. To use for later delicious is that it highlights the actual flavor of the plate crust browning. Different kinds of apples – I could not get my apples to caramelize yours... A filling Chop pie filling again because this is why most fruit pie delicious is that highlights! Tines of a simple piece of aluminum foil folded over has requested pie. Flaky pie crust from the edge by my dietician and she 's o'kayed it for diabetics as sugar... Butter pie crust from scratch can sound super intimidating braided crusts, fancy. Remove whole cloves before using apple filling make your lattice topping reduce heat, cover and.