This would have made a great serial in a magazine, one chapter published each month or quarter. Published The bestselling author of Blue Latitudes takes us on a thrilling and eye-opening voyage to pre-Mayflower America. Took me well over a year, if I am being honest. As they entered the portico, the father intoned to his children, “This is where it all began.” Then they peered over the rail. This was a long voyage alright. But it was a worthy read and I was reminded (in much greater detail than I probably ever knew) of pre-Pilgrim American discovery. voyage long and strange allows us to rediscover the new world for ourselves about the author tony horwitz is the bestselling author of midnight rising a voyage long and voyage long and strange rediscovering the new world Nov 22, 2020 Posted By Gérard de Villiers Ltd Find books like A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World from the world’s largest community of readers. Was it true that the Mayflower crashed into Plymouth Rock? Please try again. Accordingly, he sets off on a journey across North America, venturing to Canada, the Caribbean, and most regions of the United States. ON THE TRAIL OF VIKINGS, CONQUISTADORS, LOST COLONISTS, AND OTHER ADVENTURERS IN EARLY AMERICA. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. “Americans learn about 1492 and 1620 as kids and that’s all they remember as adults,” she said. Sold by MIRAYEXPRESSBUY and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. Tony Horwitz. A voyage long and strange : rediscovering the new world. In an effort to fill in this period, he began studying early Viking, French, and Spanish exploration and colonization efforts in North America and visiting many of the actual locations involved. I read this book as extra credit for one of my classes but liked it nonetheless. “Full of wild beasts and wild men.” Rather than stay, a small party from the Mayflower sailed ahead, searching for a winter haven. A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World (English Edition) eBook: Horwitz, Tony: Amazon.de: Kindle Store Select Your Cookie Preferences We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads. Anyone. (Please forgive my verb tense. Please try again. Plus some fuzzy, picture-book images of black-robed friars and armored conquistadors I couldn’t identify. I never can remember it and if you read it, I suspect you'll have the same experience. I came to this book full of expectations and intrigue, after Horwitz's phenomenal pop-historical jaunt through the weirdness of neo-Confederate headlines and Dixie locales in "Confederates in the Attic." Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. "Myth trumps fact, always does, always has, always will", Reviewed in the United States on January 22, 2015, So said a Harvard clergyman participating in annual Forefathers' Day festivities in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. Took me well over a year, if I am being honest. This wasn’t a clot of esoteric names and dates I’d dozed through in high school history, like the Habsburg Succession or the War of Jenkins’s Ear. . There was a lot of stuff in this book I didn't know but also lots and lots of facts that I did know. Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before, Spying on the South: An Odyssey Across the American Divide, Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War, Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War, Baghdad without a Map and Other Misadventures in Arabia. It could have been Dedham or Braintree or some other pit stop on the highway near Boston. Nor were Spaniards the only Europeans on the premises. March pick for non-fiction! This book has some bright spots, but is terribly difficult to get through in others. ), Reviewed in the United States on December 17, 2020. Back on the road, winding past cranberry bogs, I scanned the data stored in my own brain about America’s founding by Europeans. And there it has remained, a day of national gluttony, retail pageantry, TV football, and remembrance of the Pilgrims, a folk so austere that they regarded Christmas as a corrupt Papist holiday.”, “The past was a consumable, subject to the national preference for familiar products. Vikings, conquistadors, French voyageurs--these and many others roamed an unknown continent in quest of grapes, gold, converts, even a cure for syphilis. At another it was probably entirely infinitely more fucking depressing than the exploits of the Mongols and Crusaders. The subject of public memory, as its predecessor, is also a topic near and dear to my heart. Read this book using Google Play Books app on your PC, android, iOS devices. In this informative, whimsical, and thoroughly enjoyable account, Horwitz describes the exploits of various explorers and conquistadores and enriches the stories with his own experiences when visiting some of the lands they "discovered." At first, this proved deceptively easy: most of what I wanted to know was hiding in plain sight, at my local library. A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World - Ebook written by Tony Horwitz. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Many were successful but many also ended in tragedy in their quests for gold, grapes, fountains of youth, and souls. An irresistible blend of history, myth, and misadventure, A Voyage Long and Strange captures the wonder and drama of first contact. An important part of North American history. ", Reviewed in the United States on August 23, 2017. He lives in Martha's Vineyard with his wife, Geraldine Brooks, and their two sons. In league with anything I've read about ISIS, Nazis, Mongols, Japanese. Something went wrong. This book is an easy read and would do well as preliminary reading for any History 101 class. I certainly learned a lot and now have not much illusions left about human beings in general. I found this book to be very enjoyable. The clergyman responded, "Myth is more important than history. An irresistible blend of history, myth, and misadventure, A Voyage Long and Strange captures the wonder and drama of first contact. surprisingly fun and funny' (Publisher's Weekly) In an effort to fill in this period, he began studying early Viking, French, and Spanish exploration and colonization efforts in North America and visiting many of the actual locations involved. The publishers have great hopes of this book and have launched an expensive PR […] Even though Horwitz is honing on the period European colonisation of the US, it demonstrates the somewhat, fluidity, of historical accounts and what ‘actually’ took place. What follows is the author's tracing of this missing history including Spanish and French explorers who crisscrossed North America following rivers, lakes and coasts and meeting with the American Indians they met along the way. Natives bared their buttocks at sailors and lowered trade goods onto “rocks where the breakers were most violent.” Verrazzano called this “Land of Bad People,” a name since changed to Maine. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, No Import Fees Deposit & $9.98 Shipping to United Kingdom. Reared on James Louwen's "Lies My Teacher Told Me", I was ready to embark full-hearted on a cross-country romp through the misstated facts of American civil mythology. I almost quit the book at "Gluttony and guilt: constant bedfellows in the Bible Belt South". Entertainingly written, generally horrific in the details. On a visit to Plymouth Rock, Tony Horwitz realizes he doesn't have a clue, nor do most Americans. Tony Horwitz makes a rather startling confession in his introduction to "A Voyage Long and Strange." Did nothing happen in between? Along the way, he finds local laypeople with unique insights and oftentimes lighthearted commentary that a PhD would likely find abhorrent. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. [Tony Horwitz] -- An irresistible blend of history, myth, and misadventure, A Voyage Long and Strange captures the wonder and drama of first contact. The Spanish didn’t just explore: they settled, from the Rio Grande to the Atlantic. Vikings, conquistadors, French voyageurs—these and many others roamed an unknown continent in quest of grapes, gold, converts, even a cure for syphilis. While a tourist at Plymouth Rock, Tony Horwitz realized that, for him, the years between Columbus' landing in 1492 and the Pilgrim's Mayflower voyage in 1620 were a complete void. But Plymouth Rock was an icon of American history. There's a problem loading this menu right now. “The rest of the story is blank.”. A Voyage Long and Strange NPR coverage of A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horwitz. "A Voyage Long and Strange" is not as good as his past efforts, but it is a delightful and informative read none the less. “That’s going to be one heckuva home movie.”, I went over to chat with a woman in green shorts and tan shirt standing outside the enclosure, counting visitors with a hand clicker. I first read Confederates in The Attic by him, and liked it so much, that I read all of his books, basically what he does, is he gives you the history of the places he's going to visit. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Expeditions & Discoveries World History (Books), © 1996-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. To see what your friends thought of this book. The natives promptly carried the Frenchman to a fire on the beach and stripped off his clothes—not to “roast him for food,” as his shipmates feared, but to warm the sailor while “looking at the whiteness of his flesh and examining him from head to toe.”. Never mind his Pulitzer, the best-selling books, the writing jobs at The Wall Street Journal and The New Yorker: Tony Horwitz is a dope. He's an amazing researcher. Free shipping for many products! Otherwise, he writes a very accessible and engaging history. Vikings, conquistadors, French voyageurs -- these and many others roamed an unknown continent in quest of grapes, gold, converts, even a cure for syphilis. I admit a bias about Tony Horwitz's writing, which perhaps reflects more on my unrealistic expectations of a travel writer than on Tony Horwitz, or perhaps a rush to judgment on my part. Let me say, for now, that based on my previous reading of Horwitz (Confederates in the Attic), I found his writing style bland and felt he lacked the "zing" of Sarah Vowel, another historical/travel writer, or the curmudgeonly wit of a Paul Theroux. Among the absolute worst. Still, it was distressing not to know. On a chance visit to Plymouth Rock, Tony Horwitz realizes he's mislaid more than a century of American history, from Columbus's sail in 1492 to Jamestown's founding in 16-oh-something. He decided to search out this missing history by going on a journey to explore the events and people that filled in this gap before th. I found this book to be very enjoyable. But he's easy to read, and (from what I can gather) he gets his facts straight. Tony Horwitz is the bestselling author of Midnight Rising, A Voyage Long and Strange, Blue Latitudes, Confederates in the Attic, and Baghdad Without a Map.He is also a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who has worked for The Wall Street Journal and The New Yorker.He lives in Martha's Vineyard with his wife, Geraldine Brooks, and their two sons.