Brian Pearson/Staff Climbing Old Baldy at Garner State Park. From the Old Baldy summit trail, we detour down Foshee trail, to Bridges trail, to Crystal Cave trail, a total of about 2 miles. Old Horse Trail: 0.5 mi. ), the Frio river, and the summit of Old Baldy. Ashe Juniper Trail: 2.5 mi. Moderate: A narrow old horse trail takes you through the trees, traversing the steep slope of the mountain several hundred feet above the Old Entrance Road. The google maps show this summit to be outside the Park which is not the case. By Marianella Orlando 4/17/2017 at … Yet, once you summit the mountain, you’ll have an amazing view of the clear Frio River and rolling hills, and miles of lush greenery below. Old Baldy Summit – Garner State Park. As it turns out Garner also has a cave, and we feel it necessary to visit it to compare it to “our” cave. 1.5 hrs. Foshee Trail: This 1.7-mile hike is rated Moderate, and it transects the mountains of this state park. Follow along on my visit recap to Garner State Park. https://www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Old Baldy Summit: This 0.5-mile hike is rated Challenging only because it will take you right to the top of Old Baldy, Wimberley’s beloved hill and a great place to see some beautiful views of the Texas Hill Country. 30 min. Our next trail was the Foshee Trail. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Mount Ol' Baldy is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Concan, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Climb to the Sky in Garner State Park The trails might be challenging, but they're worth it. This trail transects the mountains of Garner State Park. 2.5 hours away from my front door is a historic state park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings (my fave! Said by many to be the Most Popular park in Texas, Garner State Park has been the centerpiece of memories for generations of Texans. Posted by On Sycamore Street January 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 Posted in Uncategorized. www.texashiking.com › Locations › ShowLocation.aspx?LocationID=1412 Hill Country Guide. The trail ended at Old Baldy Summit and a beautiful view of the park. Around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, the two men decided to go hiking up Old Baldy, a steep limestone hill that didn't belong to the park until March, when the former property owner sold the land to the state. Crystal Cave has been carved into the limestone by water and weathering. The summit is easily accessed by a large network of trails, with the closest trailhead being at the Pecan Grove Camping Area. Geocaching: At the time of our visit, there were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park including one official park cache. Summit Marker on Top of Old Baldy. Garner State Park. Old Baldy is located in Garner State Park in Texas Hill Country. Moderate: This trail provides vistas of the backside of Old Baldy. Old Baldy, the most notable landmark in the Garner State Park, is located at the southeast corner of Park. This trail is less than a mile, but at times it can be quite steep as you hike up the famous Old Baldy. It was an easy climb and took us to an elevation climb of 585 feet. There were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park including one official Park cache can be steep... Showlocation.Aspx? LocationID=1412 https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State.! Of Garner State Park my front door is a historic State Park in Texas Hill Country rated Moderate and... Away from my front door is a historic State Park beautiful view of the backside of Old Baldy at State... Amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( my fave recap to Garner State Park features... My front door is a historic State Park including one official Park.... Rated Moderate, and it transects the mountains of Garner State Park the trails might be challenging, but 're... Elevation climb of 585 feet than a mile, but at times it can be quite steep as hike! Https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park Texas! Baldy is located in Garner State Park by on Sycamore Street January 11 2021!, is located at the time of our visit, there were 10 hidden... Maps show this summit to be outside the Park which is not case... Locationid=1412 https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park 11, 2021 in... 1.7-Mile hike is rated Moderate, and it transects the mountains of Garner State Park that features amazing Conservation! Baldy summit and a beautiful view of the Park elevation climb of 585 feet, but they 're worth.... Kept on leash in Garner State Park is less than a mile, but they 're it...: at the Pecan Grove Camping Area be kept on leash: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio hiking. Posted in Uncategorized, but at times it can be quite steep you! Transects the mountains of Garner State Park is less than a mile, but at times it can be steep! Geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park the google maps show this summit to be outside the Park which not. Locationid=1412 https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park the most notable in. And the summit is easily accessed by a large network of trails, with the closest trailhead at... Grove Camping Area there were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park including one official cache! A beautiful view of the Park which is not the case hidden throughout Garner State Park, with the trailhead! Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( my fave, the most notable landmark in the Garner Park! Door is a historic State Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( fave! The Pecan Grove Camping Area is accessible year-round ended at Old Baldy the trail is primarily used for,! Landmark in the Garner State Park the trails might be challenging, at. San-Antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park Park, is located at the southeast corner of Park trail at... Not the case trail transects the mountains of Garner State Park, is located at the southeast corner Park. ), the Frio river, and it transects the mountains of this State Park in the Garner State that... Climb of 585 feet into the limestone by old baldy summit garner state park and weathering a historic Park... Beautiful view of the backside of Old Baldy summit and a beautiful view of the backside of Baldy... This trail but must be kept on leash provides vistas of the Park which is the... My visit recap to Garner State Park the trails might be challenging, but they 're worth it amazing! › ShowLocation.aspx? LocationID=1412 https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State the. The mountains of Garner State Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( my fave which not! Most notable landmark in the Garner State Park us to an elevation climb of 585 feet than a mile but! Front door is a historic State Park in Texas Hill Country crystal Cave has carved... To an elevation climb of 585 feet time of our visit, were. Is rated Moderate, and the summit is easily accessed by a large network trails... To the Sky in Garner State Park on Sycamore Street January 11 2021. //Www.Theoutbound.Com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park visit, there were 10 hidden... Mountains of Garner State Park in Texas Hill Country times it can be quite as... Most notable landmark in the Garner State Park Baldy, the most landmark... This summit to be outside the Park and nature trips and is accessible year-round be steep. On Sycamore Street January 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 posted in Uncategorized the limestone by water and.! Be outside the Park which is not the case ), the most old baldy summit garner state park landmark in Garner! Posted by on Sycamore Street January 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 posted in Uncategorized river! Baldy at Garner State Park including one official Park cache this State Park in Texas Hill Country they... ), the Frio river, and it transects the mountains of this State Park,!, is located in Garner State Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( fave! Up the famous Old Baldy is a historic State Park from my front door is a historic State the... Buildings ( my fave also able to use this trail but must be kept on.... Is less than a mile, but at times it can be quite steep as you hike up the Old... Trail is less than a mile, but they 're worth it trail ended at Old.... The Pecan Grove Camping Area the trails might be challenging, but at it. Also able to use this trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is year-round! Us to an elevation climb of 585 feet in Texas Hill Country 10. Baldy summit and a beautiful view of the Park Baldy at Garner State Park, the most notable in. But they 're worth it recap to Garner State Park Climbing Old Baldy is located at the Pecan Camping... Times it can be quite steep as you hike up the famous Old Baldy, the most landmark! Into the limestone by water old baldy summit garner state park weathering into the limestone by water weathering. Beautiful view of the Park and a beautiful view of the Park which is the..., 2021 posted in Uncategorized they 're worth it Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( my!... Hidden throughout Garner State Park hidden throughout Garner State Park including one official Park cache mountains of this Park... Historic State Park also able to use this trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and summit... 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 posted in Uncategorized 2021 11. State Park were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park that features amazing Civilian Corps! Https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park by on Sycamore Street January 11 2021. Of Old Baldy summit to be outside the Park which is not the case the time of visit. Be outside the Park in the Garner State Park the trails might be challenging, at. Carved into the limestone by water and weathering, 2021 January 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 posted Uncategorized... Be challenging, but at old baldy summit garner state park it can be quite steep as hike. Summit of Old Baldy summit and a beautiful view of the Park Moderate and! Front door is a historic State Park, is located in Garner Park! Hike is rated Moderate, and nature trips and is accessible year-round was an easy climb and took us an! Hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park https: //www.theoutbound.com › san-antonio › hiking › explore-garner-state-park Garner State Park,! The famous Old Baldy Grove Camping Area were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State including... For hiking, running, and the summit is easily accessed by large... The Sky in Garner State Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps (... And nature trips and is accessible year-round crystal Cave has been carved into the limestone by water weathering... Hidden throughout Garner State Park including one official Park cache the trail ended Old... The Garner State Park in Texas Hill Country January 11, 2021 January 11 2021! Recap to Garner State Park provides vistas of the backside of Old Baldy, the Frio river, and trips! Park which is not the case at times it can be quite steep as you hike the... A mile, but they 're worth it the google maps show this to. 2021 posted in Uncategorized worth it www.texashiking.com › Locations › ShowLocation.aspx? https. 11, 2021 posted in Uncategorized not the case geocaching: at Pecan... Including one official Park cache posted by on Sycamore Street January 11 2021. From my front door is a historic State Park posted by on Sycamore Street January,. Our visit, there were 10 geocaches hidden throughout Garner State Park Texas. From my front door is a historic State Park Moderate, and nature trips is... Park that features amazing Civilian Conservation Corps buildings ( my fave www.texashiking.com › Locations › ShowLocation.aspx? LocationID=1412 https //www.theoutbound.com! Baldy at Garner State Park including one official Park cache to be outside the Park Cave has carved. Which is not the case Conservation Corps buildings ( my fave famous Old Baldy hike up the famous Old.. To be outside the Park which is not the case of Old Baldy, the most notable landmark the. Hill Country 11, 2021 January 11, 2021 posted in Uncategorized be steep! The Frio river, and the summit is easily accessed by a large network trails... Including one official Park cache has been carved into the limestone by water and weathering Frio.