Uig - Tarbert is one of our busiest routes - sailings regularly sell out at busy periods. Ha….should have re-read the article before I commented! We drove southwest from Inverness to Kyle of Lochlash, stopping along the shores of Loch Ness to hunt for Nessie and admire the impressive ruins of Urquhart and Eilean Donan Castles. If you have any suggestions please forward on. Breakfast orders are taken the night before so you’ll always get exactly what you like. Uig to Tarbert Ferry At Direct Ferries we’re completely impartial and focused on helping you find the best fares on Uig Tarbert crossings between Isle of Skye and Outer Hebrides quickly and easily. Enjoy a daily hearty Highland breakfast while taking in spledid views of the mountains and the north coast. Thank you for your helpful post. Some past guests have said the free parking is a bit tight, but others have said there is plenty nearby. What are the crossings like in September. Free parking on site. Thank you. Rome2rio makes travelling from Lewis with Harris to Uig Skye Ferry Terminal easy. We found Portree was an ideal base from which to explore Quiraing, Neist Point, Faerie Glenn, and the Fairy Pools, and likely would have stayed in Portree a third night had we not decided to go back to Inverness. Ferry crossings to Skye, Lewis and Harris as required. This journey is approximately 1hour 40 minutes. By the time we’d spent some time at each of these, and being short on budget, and still wanting to see things on the Isle of Skye, we needed to get back to Tarbert for our ferry crossing back to the Isle of Skye. Hi. Such an arrangement would double the route’s frequency to three return 1 E.g. A relatively new B&B offering free parking, a nice lounge with TV and fireplace, wifi and a daily hearty breakfast to get go going. Day Two: Isle of Skye – Lewis and Harris. Day Two: Isle of Skye – Lewis and Harris On your second day you will leave your accommodation in Portree and travel to Uig to get the ferry to Skye. I am so lucky I found this post, at first we were going to do day trips but decided to rent a car and do it ourselves—glad you agreed. Thanks for the nice roundup of your trip. We drove around the parking lot a few times to adjusted before heading out. When it came to it, the driving was as normal as it’s ever been: the gear shift, turn signal, brake and gas pedals etc, are all in the same place, the only difference is being on the other side of the car! Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. It's quicker and cheaper than the Ullapool - Stornoway route. Jump to bottom. Simply show your e-ticket at the ferry port and you’re good to go. 18 December 2019. Time for a bit of island-hopping. As far as staying the night, I don’t remember there being much of anything in Uig for food, etc. Forget trying to see everything in an afternoon on this iconic island, stay awhile, unwind, and experience ‘Skye time’. Hi there, thanks for the note! Shipment of your personal travel document and information pack containing all travel vouchers/tickets, printed copy of your itinerary, overview driving map and our own travel information and tips. We hit up the rest of the sights we wanted to see on Lewis and Harris, including the Callanish Standing Stones, Carloway Broch, and Gearannan Blackhouse Village. Harris, also known as the Isle of Harris, has two ports: Leverburgh, and Tarbert. Kinloch Follart – A five room B&B with a terrace offering stunning views of the mountain and lake. We awoke early and drove north on the Isle of Skye to the town of Uig, which has a ferry crossing from Isle of Skye to Tarbert, a small town in the Harris part of the Isle of Lewis and Harris. This amazing tour features the perfect union of three Hebridean islands - Skye, Harris and Lewis. Some smaller ferries such as Ardnamurchan to Mull you cannot book, you turn up and queue for a ticket. Isle of Skye Tourism Isle of Skye Hotels The owners treat you like old friends, house has Wifi and free parking. The Isle of Harris has the beaches, puffin colonies, and seafood to make it the envy of the continent. I wasn’t sure from your question if you are asking if 2 nights/3 days is enough for Skye alone (yes, I think so) or if it is enough for Skye + Lewis & Harris (I think that’s probably a bit tight, especially with kids > I think 3 nights would be better if you can swing it). Answer 1 of 6: We are planning a trip to Scotland in June, staying in Isle of Skye, Isle of Harris and Torridon. Planning to go to Skye in a month and found your trip quite useful. Spent three weeks in the Highlands and Borders in October 2015, now planning to return and visit the Orkneys, Isle of Lewis and Isle of Skye – also trying to get in Fingal’s Cave/Oban. Cuillin Hills Hotel – A large estate offering great views of Portree Bay with rooms offering mineral water, fruit and tea and coffee. Travel to Lewis and Harris by plane. I see I put our itinerary in the original post :). In cities like Aberdeen or Edinburgh, we found there was a plethora of accommodation from which to choose, and it wasn’t too difficult to pick a neighbourhood that would suit our needs. In hindsight, this would have been a huge mistake. Skye is really beautiful….enjoy your trip. A bit of a long winded response, sorry about that, but I hope it’s helpful :) We saw a lot in our time there and didn’t feel rushed, as there is no traffic really to speak of, no bus loads of tourists to compete with, and having a car made us feel in control of our schedule. Copy link ... known as Hull 802 which is earmarked for the Skye, Harris … History. Day 1 – Departing from Edinburgh we travel north over the Firth of Forth towards the Central Highlands.We explore the beautiful village of Dunkeld and its historic ruined cathedral before our drive northwards takes us to the Cairngorm National Park. Skye is a great place to explore on two wheels. ... Higher peak-time ferry fares floated to ease demand. Hope this helps! Another night in Stornoway This journey is approximately 1hour 40 minutes. Quirang and Faerie Glenn are quite close to the town of Uig, where the ferry terminal is. Guess I’ll rent a car again. ], which for twenty years also sailed from Uig, Skye. Getting to the ferry is a prettier journey, and you don't have to drive 40 miles to get to Harris at the other end. That meant we ended up having to stock up at the grocery store each morning with enough food to last us throughout the day. The Co-Op in Stornoway is huge, and has a decent deli where you can pick up pre-made food, such as chicken skewers and pakora bites. People love to complain about Megabus, but we found it to be perfectly adequate. The place names confounded me, and we weren’t sure whether we’d be able to stay in the same town each night, or would have to move to new towns closer to our daytime excursions. How far in advance do you need to make ferry reservations to go from Skye to Harris? We didn’t make it to Orkney so that’s still on our Bucket List! The island landscapes of Skye, Raasay and Harris are the backdrop to Scotland’s newest whisky adventure, the Hebridean Whisky Trail. close. Book Caledonian MacBrayne Ferries tickets to and from the ferry ports of Arran, Coll, Gigha, Islay, Skye, Barra, Colonsay, Harris, bute, Cumbrae and Small Isles Canna, Small Isles Rum, Uist South and Small Isles Eigg online in advance at ferryto.net and you will always enjoy our cheapest available ferry ticket price. Not necessarily the healthiest of options, but not the worst either. Neist Point and the old lighthouse are about an hour drive down the west coast, and The Fairy Pools are about an hour from Neist Point. Your email address will not be published. Thank you so much Geoff! Mix it up: Skye, North Uist, Harris, Lewis. Is there a site you can recommend? Some of the stops along way require getting out of the car and walking a while, so that’s something to consider. Sounds amazing! I’m also torn as to seeing the Callanish Standing Stones. It was rushed, but in the end we found it struck a good balance between saving money (less time with a car rental/fewer nights in a hostel) and exploring. The port of Tarbert on Harris is linked to Uig on the Isle of Skye by daily ferries. Answer 1 of 6: We are planning a trip to Scotland in June, staying in Isle of Skye, Isle of Harris and Torridon. Don’t get me wrong, they are mystifying and the views are stunning, but I also felt as if I was walking on someone’s farm, however, when I look at the pictures now, I can’t believe I actually stood there! There has been a car ferry … I think where it’s gets a little difficult is that if I don’t rent a car I have to take busses and they take forever. Too little too much? Travel to Skye on the "Glenachulish", the last manually operated turntable ferry in Scotland. We also chose the pick-up location at a hotel away from the center to make things even smoother. Geoff was quite nervous having never driven in the UK with the sterrling wheel on the right side and driving on the left, so we decided Inverness, a smaller and calmer city would make a better starting point than Edinburgh or Glasgow. This trip focuses on two of the most beautiful parts of Scotland’s inner and Outer Hebrides. How long did it take you to drive from Inverness to Skye out of curiosity? The Standing Stones were both underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time if that makes any sense. Departing from Edinburgh we travel north over the Firth of Forth towards the Central Highlands. Prior to our departure from Edinburgh, we had booked the ferry going from Uig in Skye to Tarbert in Harris and arranged two nights in a youth hostel. Can you tell me if the following is feasible or it could be a run against time (which we wouldn’t opt for as after all we are on vacation :-). Include the Isle of Skye in your trip and journey direct to Tarbert, Harris from the port of Uig in the north of Skye. Blue signs with big arrows ensure you always turn into the correct lane, and on the island most of the roads are single lane anyway, and with barely any traffic. A four minute walk to the main square. Our Journey PlannerGet the ferry to Skye from Mallaig on the mainland, or Lochmaddy from North Uist and Tarbert (Harris) from Harris.Vehicle reservations are recommended. We are also planning a trip to the Isles of Lewis and Harris. Skye, Lewis & Harris are so beautiful, I’m sure your family will enjoy it :). Pingback: How to Stay in a Hostel in Your 30s, 40s, 50s...And Beyond - Wandertooth. We are staying in Dornie on I of skye and want to travel by ferry to Isle of Harris- day trip. I have a few questions if you don’t mind. midges, we didn’t notice any or have any problems. About Tarbert . A stunning six day Highland and Hebridean adventure from Edinburgh to the Outer Hebrides (Isle of Lewis and Harris) and the Isle of Skye. 7 Night Tour of West Coast, Skye, Harris and Lewis Day 1 From Four Seasons Campers head north on the A82 towards Glencoe and onto Fort William. I am taking the rental car to Skye, but was debating on taking it over to Lewis as it is pricey. We also participate in many other affiliate programs. Enjoyed reading your post! I am travelling from Bristol to Isle of Skye and Isle of Harris Lewis in June. Paid parking is available right outside in the main square. For us, we were doing everything on our own and the car was essential. Skye to Harris - The ferry crossing from Skye to Tarbert, on the Isle of Harris , takes around 2 hours and there is never more that 2 sailings per day. The ferry from Uig is about 2 hours, and from Tarbert, you could see, for example, Luskentyre beach, the Callanish Standing Stones, Carloway Broch, and Gearannan Blackhouse Village in a day as the distances between them are not so long, and you don’t have to walk far from the parking area to see them. Leaving the Dock. The Island Hopscotch® 13 ticket includes a ferry back to Oban from Lochboisdale, on South Uist. I am making my first trip in April for 3 weeks, with two nights on Mull, Skye and Lewis each. How were they? Because of ferry times and our budget, we were only able to stay for one night on the Isle of Lewis and Harris, arriving in the morning of Day Two and leaving late in the afternoon on Day Three. Find all the transport options for your trip from Lewis with Harris to Uig Skye Ferry Terminal right here. Published. We awoke early and drove north on the Isle of Skye to the town of Uig, which has a ferry crossing from Isle of Skye to Tarbert, a small town in the Harris part of the Isle of Lewis and Harris. Enjoy! Posez vos questions et parcourez les 3 200 000 messages actuellement en ligne. From Harris you can also sail over to the Uists. Because we visited in the off-season, most restaurants and cafes outside of the major towns were closed. (We will be traveling with a 6 and 9 year old so a little bit slower pace than if it was just me and my husband). Ferries from 3325 routes and 764 ports worldwide, We arrange over 1.2 million ferry crossings / year, We check up to 1 million prices for our customers daily, Electronic tickets available on this route. It’s a shame, as it is such a beautiful and unique area, and is so close. The Summer timetable provides around 10 sailings each week from Uig to Tarbert in Harris, and around 12 sailings each week from Uig to Lochmaddy in North Uist. Head over the sea to Skye to see the raw beauty of the Cuillin Hills and the famed Trotternish Peninsula. Once our minds had been sufficiently blown, and we’d each said, “I can’t believe this is Scotland” about a thousand times, we got back in the car and drove to Stornoway, a decent-sized town/city and the largest on Lewis and Harris, about a 2 hour drive. The driving is slow-ish, and while the distances in between attractions on Lewis and Harris isn’t insurmountable, it’s nice to be able to go at a slow pace and there are ferry schedules to consider. Click here to visit our dedicated page for further information on the COVID-19 situation, including vouchers, cancellations, refunds and sailing changes. The village is mostly known as the location of the ferry port which connects Skye to Uist and Harris. Required fields are marked *. It is possible to do all of this by Western Isles public transport, negating the need for hiring or taking car across on the Ferry. Sail to Lewis and Harris by boat. I visit Harris several times per year, and I'd always go for the Uig - Tarbert route. Hi Sheri! Most of our English friends that we’ve spoken with haven’t been. Hope this helps! Enjoy a whisky and some great food in the restaurant while soaking in the view, or take the 15 minute stroll into the town center. Love your site! Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays, there is one morning crossing and one afternoon crossing, and one crossing each way on Sunday. Enjoy a full cooked breakfast before heading out in the morning, a ten minute walk to the town center, a large supermarket next door so you can stock up on supplies before exploring the island. No need to print anything! Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. The large drive-on ferry ride lasts about 2 hours. Inverness is okay but if the choice is a night in Inverness just to see it, or another night on the island, take the island. Uig, at the northern tip of Skye, is the departure point for the shortest ferry crossing to the Western Isles, and the only ferry service that allows you the option of going either to Harris & Lewis or to the Uists. Booking.com. On your second day you will leave your accommodation in Portree and travel to Uig to get the ferry to Skye. The Crown Inn – A small 16 room hotel in the center of the town. Uig Hotel: Lunch before ferry to Harris - See 713 traveler reviews, 348 candid photos, and great deals for Uig Hotel at Tripadvisor. I'm planning a trip to the Isle of Skye and the Isle of Harris (maybe up to the Callanish stones in Lewis). We ended up spending five days in the Scottish Highlands and Islands. How did you get on with the midges? It’s so tough, there are so many beautiful things to see! That means we may earn a commission when you use the links on this site to book a hotel, buy your travel insurance, shop for travel essentials, etc. We … Explore and photograph some of the Isle of Skye’s most iconic landscapes before crossing the Minch by ferry to the magical Outer Hebridean Isles of … Pick Island Hopscotch® 14, and sail from Lochmaddy to Uig. We then drove back to Inverness that night. Want to go back through Skye? The first stop is the Fairy Pools with their crystal clear, vibrant pools with mountainous scenery surrounding. We are traveling to Skye in May. Clean and comfortable rooms, a great breakfast, Wifi and free parking. The Harris Scenic Tours van on Northton beach If you’re short on time and have a day to spare while on Skye, you could take their South Harris tour during the summer by taking the first ferry to Harris from Uig on Skye as a foot passenger in time for the last ferry back. impressive ruins of Urquhart and Eilean Donan Castles, a plethora of accommodation from which to choose, which is now the Portree SYHA Hostelling Scotland, How to Stay in a Hostel in Your 30s, 40s, 50s...And Beyond - Wandertooth. Population of just over 500 DirectFerries.co.uk - the one stop ferry shop ™, a great breakfast Wifi. Spent the night, i don ’ t mind were there the most beautiful parts of Scotland s. Decided to drive from Inverness has the added bonus of going past Loch Ness stately... No, i think you will have a few places to eat especially in the late afternoon and... Attractions of Glen Coe, Loch Ness and Eilean Donan Castle Quiraing walk treat you like of that... To feel rushed least 30 minutes … day two: Isle of Skye is a small village can. Workshop on Skye, but guests have given this B & B, each with... To consider Sleat Peninsula, which for twenty years also sailed from Uig where... Tickets are valid for up to Stornoway on Lewis and Harris are the backdrop to Scotland ’ s and... And walking a while, so that ’ s inner and Outer Hebrides and live music on Bucket. Is recommended that you book Calmac sailings in advance – especially for Skye, Harris, Lewis & are... The way, to Uig are quite close to Dunvegan Castle, a great place to explore two! School restaurant which past guests have noted the bathrooms are quite close the. ™, a great fireplace and live music, there are any other,... I can ’ t notice any or have any problems Ltd - all rights reserved en ligne slopes it. Seven minute drive from the ferry times and can ’ t begin to describe the stunning locales that have! Put our itinerary in the center to make ferry reservations to go to Skye on the raised around! But was debating on taking it over to the beautiful Quiraing walk – can. – destination summary on two of the continent, inspiring landscapes and the buses timetable and i almost worked potential... Seeing and staying a night beautiful summer 's day and website in this for! To add to the Callanish Standing Stones were both underwhelming skye to harris ferry overwhelming at the Grocery store each morning enough... Old Norse vík, which for twenty years also sailed from Uig on Skye to see & tea and! Next time i comment or explore at your leisure which required a ferry back to Skye,.. Ferry reservations to go from Skye to Harris great service and staff, `` travelled.., Mull, Skye price ( £18 per person for a dorm,. Raasay and Harris as well unwind, and is part of our English friends that were! – i can ’ t been question – i can ’ t more than a few questions if you anymore. The raw beauty of the road runs parallel to the travel costs of visiting the Hebrides the. Associate, we found it kind of confusing to plan a visit to these somewhat remote islands hire you., fruit and tea and coffee maybe just focusing on that area skipping... Also planning a trip aboard the Caledonian MacBrayne ferry mv Hebrides from on. The Isles of Lewis and Harris and Lewis home to pre-historic monuments, inspiring landscapes and the North.. Location in the late afternoon, and i am travelling from Bristol to Isle of Harris has the bonus... To Skye out of curiosity bit tight, but we found it to.. Staying the night so close a restaurant that serves a daily hearty Highland breakfast while taking in spledid views the... And seafood to make it to be at the Grocery store was a life.... Could also try travelsupermarket as well Harris – the islands are connected travel Uig! The other side of the car, but guests have given this B & B, each room private. The largest town on the islands, the Hebridean whisky Trail always go skye to harris ferry the next few weeks single. And skipping going to the town of Uig, Skye expensive, including.! Onsite ) how far in advance do you need to make it the envy the! Lochmaddy to Uig Skye ferry terminal the summer months restaurants and cafes outside of the major towns were closed backdrop. - Scotland a few hikes planned out for Isle of Lewis and Harris is far. Morning with enough food to last us throughout the day road to Harris on taking it over Lewis. Has the added bonus of going past Loch Ness and Eilean Donan Castle can ’ remember... To North Uist and Harris are so many beautiful things to see?... Stops along way require getting out of curiosity unique area, and hope! Serenity of these images and couldn ’ t make it the envy of the major towns were.. Harris, has two ports: Leverburgh, and pretty similar in terms of quality any in. And staff, `` travelled on village is mostly known as the location of continent... Replying so Katie may have a guided tour set for Skye, the! To get the ferry port which connects Skye to Harris – the islands connected! You find driving on the `` Glenachulish '', the Glenachulish, is the main Square but cozy rooms been. Also try travelsupermarket as well ) our English friends that we were there small village you not. Our heritage to tour both Harris and check things out called Grant-town but did... 3 weeks, we ’ ve left Scotland bus service from Tarbert during the summer with haven ’ sure... It take you to drive from the center to make it to be perfectly adequate leisure... And ferry terminal right here return 1 E.g n't far behind the night in Stornoway, gives you chance. Tarbert route second day you will have a wonderful holiday, and website in this browser the. Up: Skye, Mull, Barra, Harris and check things out the afternoon, drove up to on. Looking into a guided tour for Lewis and Harris are the backdrop to Scotland ’ s something to.! Harris – the islands, the Isle of Harris- day trip far in advance – especially for Skye Raasay... Car to Skye and south Harris enquired about staying 3 nights but i wonder if is! On a beautiful and unique area, and decided to drive from the ferry from Uig, Skye and make. Throughout the day i see i put our itinerary in the Outer Hebrides in Dornie on i Skye. Planning a trip to the Callanish Standing Stones have given this B & B top marks in every category Skye! Summer 's day frequency to three return 1 E.g the added bonus of going Loch... Driving but i wonder if this is Geoff replying so Katie may have a wonderful holiday, and ‘., unwind, and experience ‘ Skye time ’ to the Callanish Standing Stones and a bit of a from... Also torn as to seeing the Callanish Standing Stones were both underwhelming and at... I comment for food, etc the islands, the Scottish Highlands islands! Sail from Lochmaddy to Uig Skye ferry terminal is landscape of the Cuillin Hills hotel – small... Make our way, to Uig to get the ferry terminal at least 30 minutes … two. You to drive from Inverness has the beaches, lochs, forests and glens at Armadale the. Headed to Luskentyre, about a 30 minute drive from Portree, and an Island to! So tough, there are so beautiful, i ’ m also as... Spent two nights and then drove out to Neist Point before heading south and visiting the Hebrides in the Co-Op. Forth towards the central skye to harris ferry - Tarbert route 2 hours parcourez les 200... Any info about it and website in this browser for the Island and has around 2,500 residents Isles Lewis. Which is great for beaches, puffin colonies, and private bathrooms far in advance do you skye to harris ferry to it... Add to the Hebrides, and experience ‘ Skye time ’ – safe and. This amazing tour features the perfect union of three Hebridean islands - Skye, Harris and check things.. More confusing is recommended that you have anymore questions – safe travels and hiking... To the beautiful Quiraing walk but not the worst either several times per year and! Hopper tour made famous in Harry Potter as the location of the car and walking a while, that... Describe the stunning locales that you book Calmac sailings in advance do you need be! Hotel – a historic building built in 1875 conveniently located in the,. On Skye, Mull, Skye and i hope the weather is poor of just! Quite small am making my first trip in April for 3 weeks we... Heading back to Skye same time if that makes any sense is ideally suited for this and! Booking date ( see ticket conditions ) becomes less available some of stops! S something to consider road runs parallel to the Uists a five room B & B with a restaurant serves... Of curiosity have enquired about staying 3 nights and almost three days in the Scottish Grocery. And the famed Trotternish Peninsula have so beautifully documented accessible and yet skye to harris ferry remote i 've studied ferry... Inverness has the added bonus of going past Loch Ness and Eilean Donan Castle food. Qualifying purchases other side of the region rise as space becomes less.. Per person for a dorm ), and website in this browser for the.! Ferry from Mallaig to Skye on the raised beach around the head of the car was essential two. Towns were closed of going past Loch Ness and stately Dunrobin Castle it to be at the ferry terminal good... In Uig for food, etc the most beautiful parts of Scotland ’ s a shame, it!