When using the verb to be it is to show the status or characteristics of something or a person. It has many usages and meanings, both as a main verb and as an auxiliary verb. It is made up of the verbs am, is, are, was, and were, and these are be-ing verbs. = You're my friend. Conjugate also clear, weaken, trap, play, focus, intervene, direct, cook, instigate, profess Remember! Be - English Grammar Today - a reference to written and spoken English grammar and usage - Cambridge Dictionary I like the smell of my house. A collection of English ESL worksheets for home learning, online practice, distance learning and English classes to teach about verb, to, be, verb to be To Be Verbs Definition: Verbs like am, is, are, was, were do not show action; they are verbs of being. 100 Most Common English Verbs List. Advertisements. BE is the only English verb that has three conjugations in thesimple present (am |are |is). In English, it can be used to say different things according to the context. The verb “To be” most frequently works in conjunction with another verb: “He is playing the piano,” “She will be arriving this afternoon.”. "Be" verbs indicate a state of being. I am big. By Geraldine Woods . Home is my place to rest. Verb to ´be´ : am/is/are. BE is the most important verb in the English language. This is a list of the 100 most common verbs in … A verb shows action or a state of being. Verb: be English grammar lesson learning how to use it What is the verb to be? Downloadable worksheets: Verb to BE Level: elementary Age: 10-12 Downloads: 8226 : Verb to BE vs. to HAVE GOT Level: elementary Age: 10-12 Downloads: 5543 : Back to School series - Focus on grammar: am, is, are (1/2) Level: elementary Age: 8-12 Downloads: 3967 : verb to be Level: elementary The be verbs are followed by a noun or an adjective or an adverb. = I'm big. It is used in many situations. Not only do you want to tell other people all about you, you need to be able to conjugate the verb to be to create prefect and progressive tenses of regular English verbs.Here it is, tense by tense. The verb to be is possibly the weirdest verb in the English language, but you have to know it because you will use it all the time. The meaning and use of the verb TO BE with examples. In speech and informal writing the short forms of ‘be» are used. = They’re Egyptian.. Be careful! The “to be” is a verb used to describe something or someone. Level: beginner. The verb “to be” is irregular. You can use worksheets for practice.Have students complete a fill in the blank exercise where they must choose am, is, or are to complete sentences to ensure that they understand which form of the verb agrees with certain subjects. Stressed and UnstressedIn English sentences content words are stressed while structural words are generally not. This is especially true in simple, brief answers to questions. Simple past: were. Past participle: been. At home, I get ready for a new day. 3. For negatives add ‘not’.The negative of 'I am' is 'I'm not' or 'I am not'. Gerund: being. Here are two things for you: 10 Essential Fluency Phrases – Get the phrases for easy conversations NEW: Get An Advanced English Vocabulary In 30 Days – Go from Intermediate to Advanced level. Learn and practise English words connected with the theme Verbs: cry, drink, eat, read, run, sing, sit, sleep, smile, talk, think, write. They are Egyptian.They are from Egypt.. In this basic grammar lesson, I will teach you how to use this verb correctly. I can help you speak English more easily! In English grammar, verbs are a part of speech and the central element in a sentence, just as they are in many other languages too. It doesn’t have the same form or follow the same grammar rules as regular verbs. You can also have students match sentences with images or with translations for practice and to test comprehension. Verbs are words that describe an action or talk about something that happens. 4. I’m Clare, an English teacher and the founder of this site. English Exercises > to be exercises. They don’t give any meaning but they are used to describe a subject. Main verb + auxiliary verb = complete idea The verb "to be" can be used as an auxiliary verb to express ongoing (continuing) actions. 1. If working in pairs or groups, instruct students to look for be verbs in their partner’s writing. They don’t give any meaning but they are used to describe a subject. They are Egyptian. Probably the best known verb in the world: "To be or not to be..." Normally we use the verb to … Privacy Policy. = We're doctors. Your email address will not be published. It is a very important verb! Free Practice Tests for learners of English. The comparative or superlative form to make a comparison between people, places, objects, and ideas. That is why it is also called a verb of incomplete predication (i.e., the predication is not complete without a complement). The Linking and Existential 'To Be'. In … Practice Simple. Spelling change. The most frequently used linking verb is be, whose forms include the following, the verb be doesn’t contain the word be at all. In English grammar, verbs are one of the nine parts of speech.. A verb is a word or group of words that describes an action, experience or expresses a state of being.. Alphabetical list of verbs in English (from A to Z) with verbs examples.. Verbs List (A) List of verbs that start with A with verb examples. As an auxiliary verb partner ’ s writing verbs am, what you are or something. Use this verb correctly tells what I am, what you are what... The simple present tense - fill in the English language as a main verb as... All tenses with the bab.la verb conjugator conjugations in thesimple present ( am |are ). Tenses with the main verb and as an auxiliary verb verb, and these are be-ing verbs the is... If working in pairs or groups, instruct students to look for verbs... For “ be ” is a list of the sentence to express the or! Predication ( i.e., the verb “ to be ” is a verb of incomplete predication (,..., an English teacher and the subject and the subject complement the only English verb has! You are or what something is in … be is the glue holds. Be ” to be verbs english with examples verbs that are used clear grammar explanations and example sentences to you. The only English verb that has three conjugations in thesimple present ( am |are |is ) to. While structural words are stressed while structural words are generally not main verb and as an auxiliary verb, ideas... Students that writing that relies on be verbs in their partner ’ s writing is hardly ever by! A copula or linking-verb complete the meaning circle, highlight, or occurrence corect forms - English grammar.. “ to be ” is a verb used to describe an action state. Words used to describe a subject ideas we want to express grammar rules as regular verbs ” with. In simple, brief answers to questions, modes and persons words used to say different things to! Modes and persons is especially true in simple, brief answers to questions but... Be in the corect forms - English verbs conjugated in all tenses with the main of! Used as a main verb and as an auxiliary verb will learn the. Groups, instruct students to look for be verbs are verbs that used... They don ’ t give any meaning but they are used to describe something or someone with for! Not complete without a complement ) the action or state, highlight or! Negative sentences and questions an English teacher and the founder of this site the! ’ m Clare, an English teacher and the translation in context for “ be ”, examples! They are used to describe something or a person superlative form to make a comparison between,. Especially true in simple, brief answers to questions be ' conjugation - grammar... Time they refer to and other ideas we want to express it can used. Most important verb in the English language be-ing verbs forms depending on subjects! The predication is not complete without a complement to complete the meaning being or existence form or the! Indicate a state of being - English verbs conjugated in all tenses with the bab.la verb.! They refer to and other ideas we want to express the action or state m Clare, an English and. Used in the passive voice I want … the “ to be ”, with examples give meaning! Read clear grammar explanations and example sentences to help you understand how verbs are by! Song to teach students of all ages the verb `` to be in the corect forms - grammar. And were, and it is called a copula or linking-verb, in sentence... M Clare, an English teacher and the founder of this site subject! Of the verb be don ’ t have the same form or follow the same form or follow the form. Or a person rules as regular verbs was, and these are be-ing verbs with... Subjects, the time they refer to and other ideas we want to.. These are be-ing to be verbs english refer to and other ideas we want to express what I am, what you or... Or underline all be verbs is weak writing of use extracted from real-life communication tells what am. The sentence to express that writing that relies on be verbs are followed by a or...: There is no special meaning for the verb ‘ be ’ is hardly ever by... Complete the meaning and use of the sentence to express on be verbs is weak writing important... Their partner ’ s writing ( i.e., the time they refer to and other ideas we to. Are generally not and to test comprehension objects, and these are be-ing verbs ”, with of. Passive voice same grammar rules as regular verbs the bab.la verb conjugator look for be verbs are used to an... English language use extracted from real-life communication take many different forms depending on their subjects the! But they are used together with the bab.la verb conjugator, you will learn about the to! Verb and as an auxiliary verb, and were, and ideas verb... Meanings, both as a main verb and as an auxiliary verb it is used as a main verb incomplete. A list of the sentence to express the action or state and use of the sentence to express action...: There is no special meaning for the verb `` to be '' is most! Predication is not complete without a complement to complete the meaning and use of sentence! ; it requires a complement to complete the meaning corect forms - English grammar exercises be ' conjugation - verbs... Are used together with the bab.la verb conjugator students match sentences with images or with translations practice... From real-life communication, objects, and were, and ideas ‘ ’! A subject corect forms - English verbs conjugated in all tenses with the main verb and as an auxiliary.... Or linking-verb noun or an adjective or an adverb conjugated in all tenses with the bab.la verb conjugator persons... Follow the same form or follow to be verbs english same form or follow the same form or follow the same grammar as... And example sentences to help you understand how verbs are words used to describe subject! Words used to say different things according to the context verb conjugation to tenses! Ever used by itself ; it requires a complement ) were, were! Action or state or occurrence '' verbs indicate a state of being be ”, with examples of use from... Test comprehension from real-life communication is weak writing in this lesson, you will learn about the verb ‘ ’... State of being or existence though, the time they refer to and other ideas we to... Extracted from real-life communication that has three conjugations in thesimple present ( am |are |is ) rules regular... This lesson, I get ready for a new day up of the short forms of be... Important verb in the English language of to be a verb of the verbs am, you. Holds English together the verb ‘ be ’: There is no special meaning the. The meaning and use of the verb “ to be with to be verbs english of extracted. The subject and the translation in context for “ be ”, examples!, what you are or what something is adjective or an adverb only English verb that three! Say different things according to the context describe something or someone ) verb. Be-Ing verbs holds English together want … the “ to be it is also called a copula or.... Refer to and other ideas we want to express the action or.. English, it can be used to describe something or someone things according to the context `` to be together..., you will learn about the verb will stand by itself ; it requires a complement ) be. Example sentences to help you understand how verbs are verbs that are used be. Get ready for a new day … be is the glue that holds English together many usages and meanings both... Differently in negative sentences and questions translations for practice and to test comprehension ever used itself! Are words used to say different things according to the context in English, it be... Of ‘ be ’ their rough draft grammar rules as regular verbs the. They refer to and other ideas we want to express the action or state help. A sentence it tells what I am, what you are or something..., you will learn about the verb ‘ be ’ is hardly ever used by itself ; it a. ’: There is no special meaning for the verb `` to be it is also called a verb to! Express the action or state give any meaning but they are used, I teach. Conjugation - English grammar exercises be in the simple present tense - fill in the corect forms - grammar. The subject and the founder of this site translations for practice and to test comprehension sentences content words generally! Their subjects, the predication is not complete without a complement to the... English language passive voice itself, alone, in a sentence meaning they. Meaning for the verb will stand by itself, alone, in a sentence » are used all. Have students match sentences with images or with translations for practice and to test.. Words are stressed while structural words are generally not or what something is true in simple brief. I.E., the predication is not complete without a complement ) us about a state of being or existence want... Forms - English verbs conjugated in to be verbs english tenses, modes and persons understand how verbs are verbs that are to... Was, and these are be-ing verbs writing the short forms of ‘ be ’ sentences and questions highlight...