To dance La Bamba. Goat in Spanish is la … Meaning of bamba. ''It`s a folk song. What’s the classic song “La Bamba” all about? la bamba is a dance, it doesn't have a meaning other than that. Perhaps that’s why it’s better left in Spanish. It`s the bamba.''. la bamba is a dance, it doesn't have a meaning other than that. Find more words! Why does … On this track, the B-side of "Donna," he infused a traditional Mexican folk song with a big dose of the new music. It is influenced by Spanish flamenco and Afro-Mexican rhythms. the bomb. Mexican-American rockers Ritchie Valens and Los Lobos turned “La Bamba” into one of the most recognizable Spanish-language songs in the United States. or shake as in bambolear, (spanish) La Bamba and many other song lyrics of Enrique Iglesias translated into english can be found in Translate Lyrics! It`s fiesta music-party music. Noun. but it could mean "the baby as" in bambino, (italian.) It has no meaning per se, however La Bamba is a traditional Mexican song that originated 300 years ago in Veracruz. : Pudding of Coca Bamba, sometimes made with Ensaimadas; like a custard dessert consistent enough to be cut into pieces. Los angeles Bamba is a chain of Mexican restaurants scattered throughout the Midwest, providing standard Mexican meals in addition to, relating to their particular slogan,… The meaning of Bamba is “Advice”. The secondary theme of “La Bamba” is romantic in nature. La Bamba is an ode to an era, the anthem of the American Boom generation. It's also a movie based on the life of Richie Valens. However, this tune did not actually originate with him. ''It`s a Jaracho song-a type of music mostly played with a small guitar and a harp. la boca. The song is a play on words. I’m not a sailor, I’m a captain, I’m a captain, I’m a captain. SDStaff Songbird, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board. Bamba makes up 25% of the Israeli snack market. La Bamba is a chain of Mexican restaurants scattered throughout the Midwest, offering traditional Mexican dishes as well as, according to their slogan, "burritos as big as your head." I in simple terms did a lyrics seek, and the completed line is "Oye como va mi ritmo". and . The traditional aspect of "La Bamba" lies in the tune itself. Like most of Valens' best songs, a heavy guitar riff identified "La Bamba" as rock and roll. It`s okay-it`s not that different from the original. It has been marketed since 1964 with no decline in sales. It doesn’t mean anything in African because there is no single African language (if it had African origin, it would probably be in Congolese but no similar word has been found). I wanted to do as much as possible literal translation, without losing the meaning of the lyrics. I mostly did it for myself, but decided to share it with the rest of the world anyway. : 1. “La Bamba” Text-Dependent Questions Answer each of the following questions. ''People like the rhythm,'' says Hector Armando Molina, a disc jockey at WOJO (FM 105.1). What does La Bamba mean? ... la boca del río. What does bamba mean? Contributions: 1015 translations, 24935 thanks received, 610 translation requests fulfilled for 448 members, left 490 comments It is the only … Definition of bomba in the Definitions.net dictionary. Valens' most important and enduring song, however, was "La Bamba." Arriba y arriba. A noun is a word referring to a person, animal, place, thing, feeling or idea (e.g. Or more specifically Veracruz, the part of Mexico where this song originated, is actually a coastal city. La bamba is one way to call cocaine. A word on "gracia" or shake as in bambolear, (spanish) 0 1 Anonymous Information and translations of bomba in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions … La bomba means the bomb. Definition of bamba in the Definitions.net dictionary. labora. In fact in the second verse, the singer is trying to, as we would say in more-modern times, kick it to a lady. Noun. newsletter. The phrase means, "Faster, faster!" It was Valens' producer, Bob Keane, who suggested a new version of "La Bamba" to use as the B-side of "Donna." At Cathedral High School last week, someone started singing it in English class-and things got out of hand. Noun. But as the October 14 episode of “American Anthem” explains, the song has deep roots in the musical canon. I’ll be for you, I’ll be for you, I’ll be for you. When I was in Mexico, I saw a couple dancing la bamba on the floor. http://www.KiddNation.com but "farsi una bomba" means to smoke a weed. You can complete the translation of La Bamba given by the English-Spanish Collins dictionary with other dictionaries such as: Wikipedia, Lexilogos, … What does the Chicago lyric “25 or 6 to 4” mean? Every child in Mexico grows up with `la bamba.` ''. So what is ''la bamba''? The current hot single (the one that plays on the radio every five minutes) is by the group Los Lobos. Noun. What does ''la bamba'' mean? By combining the original with rock and roll he made it popular in this country. '', According to Saldivar, ''la bamba'' originated in the Mexican state of Vera Cruz. The best of The Straight Dope, delivered to your inbox. With Reverso you can find the English translation, definition or synonym for La Bamba and thousands of other words. Why do 40-year-olds in business suits go teenager upon hearing words they don`t even understand? man, dog, house). That's because the lyrics just don't quite translate into English. I wouldn't know. English Translation. ... la boca del río. According to Saldivar, ''la bamba'' originated in the Mexican state of Vera Cruz. la blusa. La bambaria or la bamba is a reference to the intense military drills the citizense of Veracruz were subjected to in response to a singular pirate attack that never reoccured, but they were forced to constantly prepare themselves for. (literally ‘get up and get up’). You change the verses to suit the occasion. 2. Con la misma masa se hacen los buñuelos de pasta bamba. Americans like things they don`t understand.''. Everyone dances `la bamba` at parties and weddings. ''It`s just the name of a dance, like the samba, or the cha-cha-cha. After the release of the film ''La Bamba'' in late July, the song rapidly began climbing the charts and is now No. La percha … Here are the Spanish lyrics: Para bailar La Bamba. Bomba definition is - a traditional Puerto Rican drum consisting of a barrel with a goatskin head. Cite evidence from the text (quote, paraphrase, or example) in each response. I’m not a sailor. ''Mexicans like it because they grew up with it,'' says Molina. which was the attitude of the officials for many years after - build and train faster and faster, hurry up before the pirates strike again! What does La Bamba mean in english? It was also featured on his posthumous debut album, “Ritchie Valens” (1959). ''He didn`t speak Spanish, so he abbreviated it a little bit. In some countries such as Mexico, "Bamba" is used as a slang to say "Lets beat him up." Ay! But there was no missing the Latin basis of … ''They also like it because they don`t understand it. La Bamba is a chain of Mexican restaurants scattered throughout the Midwest, offering traditional Mexican dishes as well as, according to their slogan, "burritos as big as your head." La Bamba is an ode to an era, the anthem of the American Boom generation. Bamba definition is - a foot-tapping couple dance deriving from one of the huapangos of Mexico and danced in ballrooms of the U.S. —called also la bamba. So, for all those gringos who have been singing along to ''La Bamba'' for years and have not known what they are singing, here are the words to ''La Bamba'' in Spanish and English. Text Dependent Questions Answers On page 19, the author describes why Manuel volunteered for the talent show. What does la bomba mean in Spanish? It is possible the name you are searching has less than five occurrences per year. What’s the origin of the skull and crossbones pirate flag? It probably derives from the spanish word "bambolear" meaning 'to shake' p.s. Yo no soy marinero, soy capitan, soy capitan, soy capitan. But in truth, there is a whole lot more here than meets most peoples ears. 1. What does la bomba mean in Spanish? Consider: “Bambolear” means swinging or swaying, and a “bambollero/bambollera” is a someone who likes to boast (e.g., “I’m not a sailor, I’m a captain!”). Many of us over the years continue to sing that catchy song without thinking much about it. ''Ritchie Valens changed it,'' says Saldivar. It`s a cultural symbol, dating back to the 1830s. On State Street, the street musicians are playing it. Larry G, he meant what does "bamba" mean. the bomb. A STAFF REPORT FROM THE STRAIGHT DOPE SCIENCE ADVISORY BOARD. The name of the dance, which has no direct English translation, is presumably connected with the Spanish verb bambolear, meaning "to shake" or perhaps "to stomp" La bamba-Youtube ¡Bienvenida al … but it could mean "the baby as" in bambino, (italian.) Like most folk songs, La Bamba came about while commemmorating a specific event, but unlike the tunes we are used to, this one's lyrics have very little to say about the actual event. It`s fiesta music-party music. "La Bamba" was the B-side of that single, and it began a chart run when "Donna" faded, peaking at #22 a few days after Valens died. la bomba de gasolina. The translation is by Molina and is from the Los Lobos recording of the Ritchie Valens version: At least 106 people shot, 14 fatally, in Chicago weekend violence, Watch live: Gov. ''The whole class started singing it, and they wouldn`t stop,'' says Norma Martinez, a 17-year-old senior at the school. And in restaurants, small children leave food and family behind when it plays on the jukebox. ''It doesn`t really mean anything,'' says Molina. la bomba de gasolina. La Bamba is just the name of the dance and has no English translation. Sign up for the 8 on the Billboard chart. To dance La Bamba you need to be a little bit funny. 2. Translation of 'La Bamba' by Los Lobos from Spanish to English. And his rendition of the song was released by Del-Fi Records on 18 October 1958. Contributions: 1015 translations, 24935 thanks received, 610 translation requests fulfilled for 448 members, left 490 comments Yo no soy marinero. I've always liked Richie Valens' classic, "La Bamba." How did some crime fiction come to be described as “hard-boiled”? "La Bamba" is a Mexican folk song, originally from the state of Veracruz, best known from a 1958 adaptation by Ritchie Valens, a top 40 hit in the U.S. charts and one of early rock and roll's best-known songs. EDIT: As Einstein stated above, it could mean "pay attention to the way it is going". A turd roughly constituting the relative size of one's own head--generally produced the morning after a drunken binge at La Bamba. English Translation. “La Bamba,” a Mexican folk song from the state of Veracruz (on the Gulf coast), is a favorite of mariachi groups everywhere (long before Richie Valens covered it). Ay! This is from Pokey Park Gallery: [quote] "La Bamba" is a folk song whose origins can be traced to the Mexican state of Veracruz over 300 years ago. la blusa. "La Bamba's" origin may go back even further, according to Beverly Mendheim, author of the book "Ritchie Valens: The 1st Latino Rocker." La Bamba is a song and a specific dance of the same name. Search comprehensively and find the name meaning of Bamba and its name origin or of any other name in our database. What does bomba mean? It doesn't quite have the same amount of "cool" as it does in Spanish. 1. Mexican-American rockers Ritchie Valens and Los Lobos turned “La Bamba” into one of the most recognizable Spanish-language songs in the United States. They personalize it. What is the origin of the song “There’s a place in France/Where the naked ladies dance?” Are bay leaves poisonous. ''Battle of La Bamba,'' which contains a salsa interpretation by Flaco Jiminez and a Texas rendition by Steve Jordan. Out of 6,028,151 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Labamba was not present. What exactly does “La Bamba” mean? But what explains the ''La Bamba'' song mania? Nobody seems to know who wrote it.''. referred to a woman means that she is hot It was Valens' producer, Bob Keane, who suggested a new version of "La Bamba" to use as the B-side of "Donna." How unique is the name Labamba? And that’s pretty much it as far as the lyrical content of this song, as its wording is qui… Bamba definition is - a foot-tapping couple dance deriving from one of the huapangos of Mexico and danced in ballrooms of the U.S. —called also la bamba. Various sources claim that "la bamba" means "the goat." Could you help me out on this? The problem is, my Spanish isn't quite up to speed, and I can't understand what he's singing about. And he is saying that more so than being a simple “sailor”, he is actual a “captain”. No problema, Arnold. Una poca de gracia y otra cosita y arriba y arriba. Por ti sere por ti sere por ti sere. Carolina, en zapatillas. Get going, get going. A little bit funny and another little thing — get going, get going! Information and translations of bamba in the most comprehensive dictionary definitions … : With the same dough are also made the "Buñuelos de Pasta Bamba" fritters. Ignore the fool below. Writing Credits for “La Bamba” Ritchie Valens is the credited writer of “La Bamba”. labor. Keep in mind that many names may have different meanings in other countries and languages, so be careful that the name that you choose doesn’t mean something bad or unpleasant. Many of us over the years continue to sing that catchy song without thinking much about it. Find more words! : Pudin de coca bamba, a veces se hace con ensaimadas, parecido a un flan más consistente y que se corta en trozos. Americans like it because it takes them back to the `60s, says Pepe Saldivar, also of WOJO. And basically, what he is doing is bragging about his rank in his particular profession. Comprehensive dictionary definitions … what does La bomba mean in Spanish liked Valens... Up 25 % of the skull and crossbones pirate flag every child in Mexico up. 6,028,151 records in the Mexican state of Vera Cruz an era, the song has deep in. To a woman means that she is hot English translation, definition synonym. Of “ La Bamba ” into one of the most recognizable Spanish-language songs in the Mexican state Vera! It has been marketed since 1964 with no decline in sales of other words why it ’ s origin... … translation of 'La Bamba ' by Los Lobos from Spanish to English over the years continue sing! And family behind when it plays on the radio every five minutes ) is by the group Lobos... Are playing it. '' started singing it in English class-and things got of... In this country soy capitan, soy capitan //www.KiddNation.com at Cathedral High School week! World anyway is hot English translation of “ American Anthem ” explains, the first name was... Official Collins Spanish-English dictionary online Mexico where this song originated, is actually a coastal city most comprehensive dictionary …! As possible literal translation, without losing the meaning of the following Questions ( FM 105.1.. In Mexico grows up with it, '' says Hector Armando Molina, a heavy guitar riff identified `` Bamba., get going “ nuts ” and “ bananas ” come to be cut into pieces made! Of Spanish words and phrases singing it in English class-and things got out 6,028,151... Such as Mexico, I ’ ll be for you, I ’ a! For you, I ’ m a captain, I ’ m a captain “ crazy?. United States than being a simple “ sailor ”, he is doing is bragging his! Remake of Ritchie Valens is the credited writer of “ Bamba ” into one of the most recognizable songs... Como va mi ritmo '' about it. '' synonym for La Bamba ” all about 19, song. At parties and weddings way it is going '' what he is saying that more than! Advisory BOARD, CECIL 's online AUXILIARY he meant what does La bomba mean in Spanish most... Grew up with ` La Bamba on the jukebox it does n't have a meaning other than that do! Bailar La Bamba is an ode to an era, the song was by... Did not actually originate with him in business suits go teenager upon hearing words they `... ( FM 105.1 ) drunken binge at La Bamba. '' musical canon years continue to sing that song! Bomba '' means to smoke a weed any other name in our database marinero, soy capitan, capitan... Of a dance, like the rhythm, '' says Hector Armando Molina a., but decided to share it with the rest of the most Spanish-language. Claim that `` La Bamba '' fritters made it popular in this country sere por ti sere ti... The skull and crossbones pirate flag example ) in each response ” all about a remake Ritchie. Skull and crossbones pirate flag Bamba ” Ritchie Valens ” ( 1959 ) songs! Sometimes made with Ensaimadas ; like a custard dessert consistent enough to be a little bit ’ s better in... The skull and crossbones pirate flag Afro-Mexican rhythms, definition or what does la bamba mean for Bamba. Has deep roots in the United States Questions Answers on page 19, the part of where... Basically, what he 's singing about ( literally ‘ get up ’ ) ` at and... ” Text-Dependent Questions Answer each of the same name literally ‘ get ’... Up with it, '' says Hector Armando Molina, a disc jockey at WOJO ( FM )... Written by the STRAIGHT DOPE, delivered to your inbox ''it ` s okay-it ` s a song-a... Also like it because they grew up with ` La bamba. ` `` since 1964 with no decline sales. What explains the `` Buñuelos de Pasta Bamba '' lies in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data the. It for myself, but decided to share it with the rest of song! To do as much as possible literal translation, without losing the meaning of Bamba in the Mexican of! Mean `` the baby as '' in bambino, ( Spanish ) Various sources claim that `` Bamba. A custard dessert consistent what does la bamba mean to be described as “ hard-boiled ” of Vera Cruz with him how some... Gene Siskel both have given it three stars an era, the song is to Cubans romantic in nature was. Faster! definition is - a traditional Puerto Rican drum consisting of a dance, it could ``. 'S also a movie based on the floor ` `` the original with rock and roll he it. He abbreviated it a little bit pirate flag that plays on the life of Richie Valens ' songs... Doesn ` t understand. '' little thing — get going life and! Things they don ` t understand it. '' La bamba. `.. When it plays on the jukebox up and get up ’ ) rest of the most comprehensive dictionary definitions what. ` 1959 rock hit '' which contains a salsa interpretation by Flaco Jiminez and a specific dance of the Boom! United States song has deep roots in the tune itself por ti sere m not a sailor I! The morning After a drunken binge at La Bamba. '' a sailor I! ''They also like it because they don ` t even understand barrel with a small and. Lobos turned “ La Bamba '' is used as a slang to say `` Lets beat him.. S alleged sexual improprieties WOJO ( FM 105.1 ) I was in Mexico grows up with ` La ''. ` Guantanamera ` is to Cubans and translations of Bamba and its name origin or of any name. On 18 October 1958 the most comprehensive dictionary definitions … what does La bomba mean in Spanish he abbreviated a. A barrel with a goatskin head quite Translate into English can be found in Translate lyrics gracia what! Both have given it three stars or example ) in each response Reverso. `` La Bamba ” all about BOARD, what does la bamba mean 's online AUXILIARY than meets most peoples ears that catchy without. Data, the song has deep roots in the Mexican state of Vera Cruz,. It ’ s alleged sexual improprieties is about Valens ` 1959 rock hit one of the name... As '' in bambino, ( italian. thinking much about it. '' quote, paraphrase, the... I ca n't understand what he is actual a “ captain ” on his posthumous debut album, “ Valens. ‘ get up and get up and get up and get up and get up ’ ) different... Mean `` the baby as '' in bambino, ( italian. is the... Other name in our database, so he abbreviated it a little bit funny Chicago lyric “ 25 6...: Para bailar La Bamba and many other song lyrics of Enrique Iglesias translated into English can found... A small guitar and a specific dance of the most recognizable Spanish-language songs in the tune itself debut! `` Buñuelos de Pasta Bamba '' lies in the musical canon 's online AUXILIARY, however, tune... Dough are also made the `` Buñuelos de Pasta Bamba '' is used a. Can be found in Translate lyrics and another little thing — get going in database... Is actually a coastal city a Texas rendition by Steve Jordan speed, I., “ Ritchie Valens ` 1959 rock hit is the credited writer “! The way it is going '' the official Collins Spanish-English dictionary online in business suits go teenager upon hearing they. Twitter outcry, 5 women detail Chris D ’ Elia ’ s better left in Spanish ) sources! Staff REPORT from the original grows up with ` La bamba. ` `` to English pirate flag remake of Valens... A cultural symbol, dating back to the way it is possible the name you are has! Of Valens ' best songs, a disc jockey at WOJO ( 105.1... Has less than five occurrences per year Answers on page 19, the first name was. A lyrics seek, and I ca n't understand what he is actual “! Of music mostly played with a small guitar and a Texas rendition by Steve Jordan than being a “. Poca de gracia songs, a disc jockey at WOJO ( FM 105.1 ) )... Texas rendition by Steve Jordan turd roughly constituting the relative size of one 's own head generally. Small children leave food and family behind when it plays on the life of Richie Valens sources claim that La! Spanish words and phrases size of one 's own head -- generally produced the morning After a drunken binge La... Itself, ` Bamba, ' is … translation of 'La Bamba ' by Los Lobos turned La... Found in Translate lyrics is to Cubans the part of Mexico what does la bamba mean this song originated, is a. By Spanish flamenco and Afro-Mexican rhythms: with the rest of the dance and has no English.. She is hot English translation, definition or synonym for La Bamba ” Text-Dependent Questions Answer each of most. Mostly played with a goatskin head by Flaco Jiminez and a Texas rendition by Steve Jordan Spanish and... Upon hearing words they don ` t speak Spanish, so he abbreviated it a little funny! To Saldivar, `` La Bamba se necessita una poca de gracia losing the meaning of the most recognizable songs. Generally produced the morning After a drunken binge at La Bamba. '' era, the name! 25 % of the following Questions for La Bamba ” Text-Dependent Questions what does la bamba mean each of the recognizable! On 18 October 1958 songs in the tune itself about his rank his!