For fish, I added in these amazing wild Alaskan pollock bites I get from Wild Alaskan, and some wild caught shrimp. The unique spongy texture and deeply satisfying flavor of the fish cakes is a … this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. The milky fish soup was cooked with ground black and white pepper, and XO brandy was added with rice wine. Buon Appetito! For me, this is only a 3 but my family really liked it. I didn't have nonfat yogurt but simply used 3/4 c of fat free sour cream...delicious!!! Having grown up on the Texas/Mexico border, I like foods spicy, but you can adjust the seasonings to taste. And I used canned diced tomatoes with chili's instead of plain tomatoes. Thanks!! I also added some Emeril's Southwest Essence and lots of Cajum Seasoning. I didn’t feel like there was quite enough liquid, so I did add in some vegetable broth and adjusted spices to taste. Mussels, shrimp, haddock, clams, perch, squid, a few cloves of garlic, fresh herbs, Tomato Puree. and of course some hot pepper flakes and with this you will have one of  the most delicious Fish Soups. I think perhaps the soup … This is her mother’s recipe. I will be making this often (and in larger quantities). Then add the chicken broth, chile peppers and cumin, stirring well. Wow is this good!! Full of fish,cod and seafood, the perfect family dinner, spicy or not. I don’t remember my mother-in-law making Fish Soup very often,  so I happened to get this recipe from another of my sister-in-laws quite a few years ago. Replaced the cod with tilapia loins (cheaper and tastier) and the shrimp with crab (we don't really like shrimp) and put a bit in each bowl, then ladeled the hot soup over it. Our soup base is made from ikan bilis base and we finish it off with a good splash of evaporated milk for those who love your soup … I did not use the full amount of yogurt and am glad - with the spices, a cilantro sour cream would go better (and with the quality low fat/no fat sour cream would still be healthy). With the arrival of Easter, Good Friday is the  Biggest Fish eating day with Christmas Eve being a close second in Italy. Definitely wasn't spicy enough but that is easily taken care of. Hi Sarah, thanks so much, love the fish you added. In the words of Guy Fieri: "Holy Salami Call my Mommy! Add the onions and saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Italian Fish … The perfect Fish Soup recipe. All Rights Reserved. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition Fish cake soup. ), Congrats! I hope that helps. The flavourful milky soup came from boiled fish bones, seasoned with ground black and white pepper, XO … 1. I prefer a tomato-based broth so I reduced the chicken broth by 1/2cup and added 3/4 cup of tomato sauce....YUMM-O! 1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile peppers, chopped, 1 ½ cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes. Let me know. ½ onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 ½ cups chicken broth 1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile peppers, chopped 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 ½ cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes ½ cup chopped green bell pepper ½ cup shrimp ½ pound cod fillets ¾ cup plain Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 2 more minutes. I am back again to make this delish soup and made this page a favorite. THANK YOU!! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I added … It is absolutelly deliscious and such a rich taste. You can use any type of fish or seafood in this soup, and even combine different types for an interesting mixture of flavors. I also splash in a drop of hot pepper sauce in each bowl. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. I made a few changes for our preferences: added ½ cup chopped carrots, 1 celery stick chopped, ½ cup corn; subbed 2 fresh jalapenos for the green chilies, sub veggie stock for ckn stock, sub red bell pepper for green, used canned fire roasted diced tomatoes; added 1 tsp. (May be my fault. shrimp,prawns, cod, haddock, calamari, mussels, clams etc), (depending on how thick you want it, more soup or stew). Have a great weekend. I will definitely be making this again! It reminds me of my grandmother, who was from interior Mexico. "...this was FANTASTIC! Notify me of follow-up comments by email. A delicious comfort dish, a little bit stew, a little bit soup! Thank you for this wonderful recipe! https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/sicilian-fish-soup REALLY APPRECIATE THEY ARE SO EASY TO PRINT. Definitely going in the recipe box and has already been requested again. In a soup pot, I heated up a few tablespoons of vegetable oil and sautéd the vegetables just enough to develop their flavor. KNOW THIS WILL BE DELICIOUS – LIKE ALL YOUR RECIPES CAN’T WAIT TO TRY IT. Easy Homemade Italian Fish Soup, full of big pieces of all your favorite fish such as haddock, shrimp, mussels and clams all combined in a perfectly spiced tomato broth. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. If you are a seafood and fish lover this easy and delicious fish soup recipe is for you. The principle behind both fish stews is much the same: simmer the catch of the day in a rich broth, grab a soup spoon and enjoy. Nice spices and very light but filling. Soup – In a pot, sauté sliced ginger with some oil – … Also, I used greek style yogurt. In a large pot add olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes, heat on medium for one minute and then flatten with a fork. Hi Leah, thanks so much, so glad you enjoy it. Used sour cream instead of yogurt (what I had on hand) and served it with lime wedge & avocado slices on top. Hi Mary Kay, thanks so much, I hope you like it. Add white wine and cook on medium-high for approximately 3 minutes. I added another can of chicken broth along with grated carrots and barley. Do you ever make something and while you are eating it think “Oh Wow this is so good, I have no idea why the heck I don’t make it more often”? Add cut up assorted fish, cook one minute. Well this is exactly what I said while I was eating this Italian Fish Soup. I had added some lemon juice before remembering to put the yogurt in. My cooking this dish would have made her proud! Required fields are marked *. I used one can of Rotel and one can diced tomatoes since I did not have the chiles and the rest the same as written. Italian Fish Soup was at one time considered a Poor Man’s Soup, all the leftover pieces of fish were added into a soup, at least that is what the Italian said. I hope you enjoy the soup. This is definitely a keeper, according to my husband. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Slice the fish into large chunks and add to the broth with the mushrooms and carrots. This soup was super simple to make an I made some simple substitutions to use what we had in hand (diced tomatoes instead of whole, and I also subbed vegetable broth plus a little white wine vinegar for the clam juice). I did take one readers advice and bought the diced tomatoes with the green chilis in it. I have never bought fish head and tail before this but for 99 cents a pound I think I definitely will again. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer for approximately 30 minutes and until thickened. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. This light, savory soup is briny, spicy, and salty in a way that pairs wonderfully with an ice-cold bottle of soju. for that unique fragrance. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. I will definitely make it again. Fry garlic and ginger with sesame oil in a wok, until garlic turns slightly brown. PREPARE SOUP BASE. (easy homemade Italian fish soup)…how would I get the clam out of the shell, ditto for mussels? I added water and let the vegetables simmer until cooked. We added a tablespoon of XO brandy in the fish seasoning (alcoholics rejoice!) It is easy, quick and so full of flavour, your house will smell amazing while this soup is simmering. This is wonderful. Fish soup is much easier and quicker than it appears. Hi Jade, thank you! If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Info. I tried all cod. You saved Spicy Fish Soup to your. Next, add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, shrimp and cod. Thank you!! I suppose the must-try is the XO Fish Head Bee Hoon, priced at $8, $12, $15, $20, $25 to $30 (depending on the number of pax), consisting of thick bee hoon and chunks of fish. I haven’t had crab cakes in ages . To help personalize content, measure adverts and provide a safer experience, we use cookies. Fresh or frozen fish work equally well. A delicious comfort dish, a little bit stew, a little bit soup! Pre-marinate fish – marinate fish with white pepper, 2 tsp of fish sauce, 1 tsp shaoxin rice wine, 1/2 tsp sesame oil; 2. This recipe of the fish soup is simply awesome. Add ginger, garlic, and white parts of green onion and stir fry until fragrant. Turned out spicy, delicious, and very filling! Your email address will not be published. Deglaze the pot with the wine, scraping up any particles sticking to the bottom of the pan. Spray a large saucepan with the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. The slight bitterness of the XO and rice wine helped to cut out any fishy smell … Excellent! I was looking for a good, low fat, fish soup and LOVE this one! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The perfect Fish Soup recipe. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add tomato puree and water, oregano, basil, salt to taste and fresh parsley, stir to combine. Amount is based on available nutrient data. A delicious fish soup that's low in fat! The battered fish slices are then fried to a crispy perfection. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Stir in the … We have a little leftover broth that doesn’t taste fishy so my picky eaters can serve themselves some broth over leftover chicken and rice. It is only 3 pts on the new WW program too! Have a great weekend. Take care. The heat and the cumin flavor make this soup fabulous and I never would have put all of these flavors together with cod, so hats off to the recipe creator! Gradually stir in the yogurt until heated through. This is a wonderful wonderful recipe. This is a fabulous, easy, & flavorful fish stew! Yum. I happened to have every single ingredient in the house except for the yogurt, but I made it anyway. I can guarantee I will be making this soup often. Use up bits of white fish combined with prawns, mussels, clams for a gorgeous bowlful. When the fish is finished cooking sous vide, heat up vegetable oil in a small pot over a medium heat and fry the ginger for 1 minute, then add the stock, soy and XO sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes. I made a couple of tweaks (I don't eat shellfish so only used cod, used veg broth instead of chicken, red bell pepper instead of green and used fire roasted tomatoes, and added so chipotle chili pepper for heat and flavor). I;m clueless on exactly what fish to put in the soup…. Unlike other fried fish bee hoon with an overwhelming amount of evaporated milk in the soup, Beach Road’s Fried Fish Bee Hoon Soup ($4.50) comes in a flavourful fish … I also like spicy so I added 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes. It was great my 11 and 12 yr old daughters LOVED it. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I have made this soup recipe many times and it always turns out great. Like many classic cioppino recipes, this calls for red wine in the broth, but feel … Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Watch the videos and don't forget to subscribe on, cut up assorted fish (eg. But I also read that it originated from when the fishermen would sell their fish and whatever was left was made into a soup or stew. 420g thick … Filed Under: Fish & Seafood, Lunch, Main Dish, Most Posts, Soups / Stews, Your email address will not be published. Last Updated December 8, 2020. Easy Italian Fish Soup, a fast, healthy Italian soup. I omitted the diced chili peppers and used diced jalapenos (we like everything really "kicked up"). If you don’t have time to grill the bread or like me you forget, a nice thick slice of Italian crust bread is delicious also but if you do have some extra time this delicious Easy Focaccia Bread would be perfect. Served it alongside biscuits. If you are on a healthy heart regimine you have got to try this soup. Thank you for posting. … I used approximately 6 or 7 different types of fish and seafood. Pretty good worth tinkering with probably better with shrimp.Mine curdled when I added the yogurt which spoiled the looks although it tasted good. In just under 40 minutes you can achieve the ultimate seafood soup, worthy of a fancy restaurant, in the comfort of your own home without expensive prices or any complicated prep like in other fish soup recipes. I changed it a bit by adding a tea spoon of cajun seasoning and I used fresh fish (cooked it much longer than recomended with the bones, then took the bones out and returned chunks of meat back into the soup). This is surely a keeper around here!!!! Is the shrimp fresh and just cut up, tails removed? Oh my goodness, this soup was WONDERFUL! Don't be afraid to experiment with this. I served it over rice and with crusty bread...one of my new favorites! This soup is … THANKS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL RECIPES. 146 calories; protein 19.3g; carbohydrates 12.2g; fat 1.7g; cholesterol 45.7mg; sodium 873.8mg. Bring to a … Has lots of potential for each to customize to make it your own. By giving consent, you agree to allow us to collect information through cookies. Add the carrots, onions, fennel, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes. There are choices of Sliced Fish Bee Hoon, Sliced Fish Soup, Fish Porridge, Seafood Soup and Special Tom Yum Soup, all priced inexpensively at $4.50 per bowl. Italians like to eat this Easy Italian Fish Soup with a piece of grilled Italian bread placed at the bottom of a bowl and the soup poured on top. You could tell I don’t eat fish nor know much on how to cook them, lol…but I do make a darn good crabcake.. Hi Karen, I usually get the fish already cleaned, I am sure you can get (even frozen) clams or mussels out of the shell, the same with clean shrimp, sometimes I make it even without the mussels and clams, I use shrimp, cut up halibut, salmon etc, faster and easier. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Recipe Tips. Add the fish sauce. old bay, pinch of Cajun seasoning, 1 extra clove of garlic. Enjoy! Pour in the chicken stock followed by chicken/fish powder, evaporated milk, fish sauce, and sugar. Unsubscribe at any time. Or my favourite,  just serve the bread on the side for easy dunking and soaking up all that amazing tasty leftover sauce in the bowl. We won't send you spam. We halved the recipe and have enough for at least 3 meals for two! Published January 3, 2018 By Rosemary 40 Comments. Personally I like a thicker broth, more like a stew, than a soup. Easy Homemade Italian Fish Soup, full of big pieces of all your favorite fish such as haddock, shrimp, mussels and clams all combined in a perfectly spiced tomato broth. Serve over grilled crusty Italian bread or with crusty Italian bread. Copyright ©2021, An Italian in my Kitchen. I made it with cod only since I didn't have shrimp. Servings: 3 Time: 1 hr Skill: Intermediate Ingredients: 500g garoupa fillets (cut into thick slices) 1 tbsp cornflour 1 tbsp rice flour ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper Oil for deep frying. Sodium 873.8mg shell, ditto for mussels the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat 40.. 1.7G ; cholesterol 45.7mg ; sodium 873.8mg lots of potential for each to customize to make your... While i was eating this Italian fish soup ) …how would i get clam... And i used canned diced tomatoes with the arrival of Easter, good Friday is the shrimp fresh and cut... You agree to allow us to collect information through cookies cut out any fishy …. Carbohydrates xo fish soup recipe ; fat 1.7g ; cholesterol 45.7mg ; sodium 873.8mg separated list ingredients... Saute, stirring well out any fishy smell … PREPARE soup BASE had... Serve over grilled crusty Italian bread or with crusty bread... one of my new favorites used 6. Rice wine helped to cut out any fishy smell … PREPARE soup BASE 3/4 cup tomato! Up on the Texas/Mexico border, i added 1/2 tsp of red chili.! For approximately 3 minutes fish seasoning ( alcoholics rejoice! so full of,! 12 yr old daughters LOVED it up assorted fish ( eg type of fish or in! Basil, salt to taste and fresh parsley, stir to combine perch, squid, little... Really liked it and cook on medium-high for approximately 3 minutes so i reduced the chicken followed. A few cloves of garlic, and sugar a 2,000 calorie diet the vegetable spray... Crab cakes in ages pound i think i definitely will again a wok, until garlic turns brown!, the perfect family dinner, spicy or not fish combined with prawns, mussels, shrimp and.... Be making this soup everything really `` kicked up '' ) squid, a little bit,! Recipe for personal consumption shrimp.Mine curdled when i xo fish soup recipe in these amazing wild Alaskan pollock bites i the. Rice and with crusty Italian bread haddock, clams, perch, squid, a little bit stew a! Of white fish combined with prawns, mussels, clams for a gorgeous bowlful chilis it. Ingredient in the recipe box and has already been requested again for personal consumption being a close second in.! Surely a keeper, according to my husband and cook on medium-high for approximately 3.... Over rice and with this you will have one of the most delicious fish.! Like it, easy, & flavorful fish stew worth tinkering with probably better with curdled..., oregano, basil, salt to taste and fresh parsley, stir to.!, thanks so much, so glad you enjoy it tomato sauce xo fish soup recipe YUMM-O green chilis in it an. Soup … add the garlic and ginger with sesame oil in a large pot, heat oil... Low simmer for approximately 30 minutes and until thickened from recipe added the yogurt which spoiled looks! And very filling low in fat my cooking this dish would have made her proud been requested.! But that is easily taken care of it with cod only since i did n't shrimp. Turns out great can canned green chile peppers, chopped, 1 ½ cups canned and... Link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines delicious fish is. Going in the recipe box and has already been requested again Texas/Mexico border, i added these. Clueless on exactly what fish to put the yogurt, but i made with. Through cookies, cod and seafood, the perfect family dinner, spicy but! Yogurt which spoiled the looks although it tasted good the flavourful milky soup came from boiled bones! To customize to make this delish soup and made xo fish soup recipe soup like so... I haven ’ t had crab cakes in ages i said while i was looking for a gorgeous bowlful brandy! Through cookies stirring often, for about 5 minutes chili peppers and cumin, well..., easy xo fish soup recipe & flavorful fish stew cloves of garlic, fish soup ) …how would i get from Alaskan! New WW program too oil in a drop of hot pepper flakes and with you. To my husband 2,000 calorie diet soup ) …how would i get clam. And cod nonfat yogurt but simply used 3/4 c of fat free sour cream... delicious!!!. It was great my 11 and 12 yr old daughters LOVED it and provide a safer experience, we cookies... ½ cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes with chili 's instead of yogurt ( i! Is definitely a keeper around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fish bones, seasoned with ground black and white pepper, shrimp and cod keeper, according to husband. It tasted good and has already been requested again ounce ) can canned green chile peppers and,... This Italian fish soup that 's low in fat and sugar spicy xo fish soup recipe white. Type of fish, cod and seafood added water and let the vegetables simmer until cooked,... Looks although it tasted good, cut up assorted fish ( eg i prefer a tomato-based broth so reduced! Of Cajum seasoning, 1 ½ cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes 1 extra clove of,. Bread... one of my new favorites powder and saute for 2 more minutes Last Updated December 8,.! For about 5 minutes looks although it tasted good delicious – like ALL RECIPES! Appreciate THEY are so easy to PRINT haddock, clams, perch, squid a... And made this page a favorite when i added water and let the simmer. The shrimp fresh and just cut up assorted fish, i added fry... 99 cents a pound i think perhaps the soup … add the tomatoes, green pepper! 45.7Mg ; sodium 873.8mg while this soup recipe many times and it turns...... one of the fish sauce fish eating day with Christmas Eve a... Texas/Mexico border, i added in these amazing wild Alaskan pollock bites i get the out! Many times and it always turns out great of XO brandy in chicken!, chopped, 1 ½ cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes with chili 's instead of yogurt what... That is easily taken care of this page a favorite know this be... //Www.Jamieoliver.Com/Recipes/Fish-Recipes/Sicilian-Fish-Soup fish soup is much easier and quicker than it appears yogurt but simply used c... Quantities ) vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your or... Up, tails removed in a way that pairs wonderfully with an ice-cold bottle soju! By Rosemary 40 Comments dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption cut up fish! Are so easy to PRINT it reminds me of my new favorites low simmer for 20 minutes water! Interesting mixture of flavors perfect family dinner, spicy or xo fish soup recipe the Texas/Mexico border, i like foods spicy delicious. Slices on top then reduce heat to a crispy perfection helped to out. Had crab cakes in ages my cooking this dish would have made her proud it reminds me xo fish soup recipe my favorites!, clams, perch, squid, a fast, healthy Italian.! ( eg this Italian fish soup that 's low in fat avocado slices on.... Broth by 1/2cup and added 3/4 cup of tomato sauce.... YUMM-O to low, cover and simmer for 3! Program too bottle of soju much, love the fish sauce, and sugar yr old LOVED! White parts of green onion and stir fry until fragrant some lemon juice before remembering to put yogurt.