But fresh steelhead prove especially appealing in winter. And as western trout rivers begin sliding into winter month slumbers, for any angler looking to extend their fishing season then winter steelhead in Oregon and Washington and should be at the top of the list. There are few things in life that compare to hooking up with a large powerful winter-run steelhead- the brute strength of the fish will leave anyone wide-eyed. pool and caught a lovely 5 kg. The winter steelheader has the opportunity to catch both Campbell winter steelhead and Quinsam River winter steelhead in those pools below the confluence of the Quinsam with the Campbell. These rivers drain the largest watershed on the northern Olympic Peninsula and collectively hold the healthiest stocks of wild winter steelhead in the Pacific Northwest. Big, strong Winter-run Steelhead usually run 12lbs to as high as 18lbs. Unfortunately, many were meat fishermen who did most of their angling with treble hooks in the pools below Loup Creek Falls. Fly fishing for steelhead isn’t for everyone, especially for when it comes to chasing these elusive fish in the winter. And there are many in the Gordon – over 500 slope failures have occurred and 93 percent happened in logged areas. Large old-growth deciduous forests dwarf anglers as they swing flies on the green-tinted rivers below. This winter fishery is not for the faint of heart, but amongst serious anglers, a steelhead is considered an incomparable prize. Trip Insurance / Emergency Evacuation Coverage, Destinations / All Saltwater Destinations, Destinations / All Freshwater Destinations, Destinations / Central America & Caribbean. The steelhead returns on the Hoh have continued to be strong, largely because of the many miles of protected spawning habitat in the upper Hoh drainages that originate in Olympic National Park. The rivers of the Pacific Northwest will transport anglers to a place where time seems to move at a slower pace. We were using roe with split shot sinkers. written by therockyriver.com staff “The fall run has the most active trout.” “The spring spawn is the easiest to land fish.” WINTER SOLITUDE Everybody has an opinion on the best season for landing steelhead in the rivers. For larger rivers with big flows like on the Niagara river or very heavily wooded rivers or for Salmon, I go up to 5lb or even 6lb Drennan leader. Winter Steelhead are truly a prized catch here in Washington, but it only takes a basic understanding of their habits to have a fruitful day on the river. Moal Leech – Purple, Pink, Black / Chartreuse Lots of movement and weight is the perfect recipe for a great steelhead fly. Temperatures can be chilly and combined with variable weather conditions, think snow and freezing rain, it’s easy to see why hardcore stealheaders are cut from a different cloth. Spinner fishing for Steelhead is my favorite steelhead fishing technique. Packed with fly fishing focused content on the world’s finest fly fishing lodges, outfitters and destinations. That conversation was the reason Earl and I were tangled in the salal wishing I’d kept my ears shut. Quillayute is six miles long with tributaries that include the Sol Duc, Bogchiel and Calawah. The Coweeman receives about 15,000 to 20,000 winter steelhead smolts each year. The Exodus office is located right on the bank of the Salmon River and we are always happy to share what we know about current river and fishing conditions. Over the next few years, steelhead grow to proportions only possible with the vast food supply of the ocean, and will once again return to the freshwater to reproduce. This means the fish can’t see lures as well, and often times the Steelhead will have difficulty locating a scent trail unless it is right in front of them. Remembering this, look for areas of the river where the water is a little bit slower and gentler. Your fish of a lifetime is out there waiting for you! Many Cowichan Lake area anglers and loggers that worked at Gordon River Camp also knew the river, especially the upper reaches. Last year, just 28 of the fish were counted. Fresh fish, in the vernacular, are both bright and hot. Even now, twenty-five years after Earl and I had our great day, not many people fish the river and very few know it well. Only a 4 hour drive the Seattle airport, the OP offers convenient travel and access to some world-class steelhead fisheries. Until earlier that year, I had been barely aware of the Gordon River. Gearing Up for Winter. For a river that is known to “have no secrets” these guides have each developed a unique style of fly fishing program that is educational, enjoyable, and productive. They will remain in the river for several months before spawning. Steelhead is an adronomous species meaning they spend part of their lives in the freshwater and part of it in the salt. Seventy percent were related to roads. If you’ve been looking for an Olympic National Park fishing trip with an outfitter who truly believes that fly fishing is not just a sport but a way of life then a trip with Brazda’s Fly Fishing is a must. Yes, Idaho steelhead fishing is a fine way to spend a day or two this winter. Most of the surplus fish will be sent to the After Bay. Earl took the lower run and I headed for the middle race. female before Earl and I called it a day. The Stamp river is an all year steelhead stream with large runs of summer and winter steelhead. Fall runs of actively-chasing fish, migrating from the lake, or the coveted 7-14 day window in spring where anglers literally have to watch every step … These rivers drain the largest watershed on the northern Olympic Peninsula and collectively hold the healthiest stocks of wild winter steelhead in the Pacific Northwest. These trips are tailored for the serious minded steelheader... Wild Steelhead CLEARWATER, HUMPTULIPS, UPPER QUINAULT, QUEETS, HOH. For more angling opportunity we fish the Gordon River, Harris Creek and Caycuse River. The Olympic Peninsula is widely known as producing some of the largest and wildest steelhead found in the Lower 48. The Pacific Northwest has a variety of world-class steelhead waters. Be sure to match your lure’s color and size to the water clarity and speed. Loup Creek Falls has been worked on since 1985 and is no longer significantly restricting summer steelhead access into the Upper Gordon and Loup Creek and Forest Renewal BC has funded several studies of the river and its fisheries improvement needs and opportunities. What I love about the Hood River is the opportunity to catch a chrome-bright steelhead from its swift and turbid waters nearly any month of the year. Many kilometres of roads at risk are being put to bed. “The crew was looking for bridge sites in the Gordon River canyon last week and they saw steelhead, lots of them. However, things should get better. Ryan Bibeau and Anthony DeiCicchi stake out a spot on the Salmon River’s Lower Fly Zone. Hobo Spey – Black, Purple, Pink The steelhead are native to freshwater and ocean environments across North America, but have been introduced to every other continent except Antarctica. The Pacheedaht people of Port Renfrew and long time local anglers like Frank Elliot had known of the river and its steelhead for a very long time. The winter-run steelhead on the Olympic Peninsula have a history of strong returns on rivers that include Sol Duc, Hoh, Bogachiel, Queets, and Calawah and when fishing with Brazda’s crew, you could very well catch the steelhead of your life on any of these waters. Gentle areas are few for the next twenty three kilometres as the river races past Gordon River Camp which has been operating since the 1940’s and picks up dozens of small and large tributaries like the East and West Forks, McBain, Lookout, and Loup. The reward of hooking up with one of these powerful fish and admiring its beauty in hand has proven addicting for more than one angler. A good rule-of-thumb is to pack in layers. The South Umpqua can be quite good for hatchery winter steelhead, often a better bet than the main Umpqua, and it should come into shape ahead of the bigger river. When large clearcuts and numerous roads are imposed, the slopes often fail at their weak points. That was soon to change. We were very satisfied with ourselves because we’d discovered a grand river with a strong run of summer steelhead. I’d seen the logging ravaged upper reaches which didn’t appear very healthy and two people had told me steelhead were sometimes caught around Gordon River Camp, well up in the basin. Much larger than where I’d seen it in the upper basin. ... Until earlier that year, I had been barely aware of the Gordon River. Winter steelhead migrate into fresh water when they are closer to reproductive maturity and are generally larger than their summer-run cousins. Mention the Pacific Northwest in a circle of fly fishers and steelhead will inevitably poke their bright dime-colored heads into the conversation. Nowhere else in the United States are steelhead as deeply rooted in angling culture like the Pacific Northwest. Great fishing trips don’t just happen. Gordon River – Summer Steelhead Country. I call this the Rounds Reach after an old camp that was located there. It also means they conserve energy by staying close to the bottom in the cold winter months. At the end of the day, it’s easy to look past the inclement weather and hours standing in frigid water when you cross paths with one of nature’s treasures of fly fishing. Duncan Conservation Officer Jack Fox mentioned hunters bringing out a few in October and a one time camp cook spoke of occasionally catching the odd one at Christmas for the men that stayed in camp over the break. Many anglers would agree that the Klickitat boasts the hardest fighting steelhead in the state. A few winter steelhead are available from Columbia River beaches, and in the tributaries. Winter steelhead tend to be line-shy, making it necessary to use a relatively light tippet—4- to 6-pound-test fluorocarbon. After finding the hole place Aquaseal over the hole, or if necessary use a patch. The simple yet extremely effective fly has life-like articulation and is effective throughout the PNW and Alaska. Bugaboo Falls is the upper limit of salmon and winter steelhead migration although it’s possible that a few of both make it over the falls once in awhile. After Rounds, the Gordon whips through Little Canyon then plunges over Cable Car Falls which is the upper limit of summer steelhead passage. However, with all that said, landing a steelhead is an incredible experience and one that’s not easily forgot. The first spawn took place Dec. 30 with three more taking place so far in January. Vancouver Island Steelhead Fishing on the Gordon, Harris, Caycuse and San Juan Our hike in fishing spots are an adventure of their own. This is where winter steelhead bunch up before entering the Clackamas River. A … Lastly, and something that can quickly put a damper on your steelhead trip is leaky waders. Each winter at this time some of the steelhead/rainbow trout naturally spawn in the Feather River but the majority of the spawn takes place in the Feather River Hatchery. I do have openings that come up randomly. Logging is much more carefully planned now and mid-slope roads are likely to be much less common in the future. The number of wild winter steelhead in the Sultan River, north of the Skykomish, has steadily declined since the early 1990s. But nobody I knew thought the Gordon was much of a steelhead stream. A 9- or 10-foot, 5- to 7-weight is my preferred rod on the Salmon River, although two-handed rods and swinging flies are becoming more popular all the time, especially for winter steelhead. With lots of movement in the water, these flies are irresistible to fish. He turned and raced back downstream as I struggled wrapping the line around a boulder at the top of the riffle in the process. On subsequent trips to Renfrew, Frank told me that as many as a thousand summer steelhead would occasionally be backed up in lower river pools waiting for rain to raise the river so they could move up into the canyons. Today we are Oregon winter steelhead fishing on the Sandy River. We start by navigating various logging roads which wind through our lush coastal forest, possibly catching a glimps of wildlife such as beers, black tail deer, wolves or maybe even a cougar, before hiking down to a pool full of wild steelhead. Ted Burns is proudly powered by WordPress Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS). Steelhead Trout is a name given to the anadromous form of the coastal rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus. The winter steelhead begin entering the river late in November and continue through to mid April. Winter steelhead fishing is one of our most popular outdoor recreational activities here on Oregon's Adventure Coast: Coos Bay, North Bend and Charleston during the winter months. It’s very steep for the first kilometre then levels off for about twelve kilometres where it flows through an area logged mainly in the 1930’s. Major waterfalls are present below Loup and above Bugaboo Creeks and there are numerous smaller falls and cascades. For most of this distance, the Gordon is a galloping torrent between tight canyon walls. The boys were feeding them their lunches “he said as I tried to appear only casually interested. Developed by Charles St. Pierre, the fly is hands-down our go-to on any steelhead river. Pack a few of these and prepare for the inevitable takes. As far as height goes, I feel 13-13.5' is perfect, I caught 15lb hen last week at 13.4' and dropping. The fishing in the valley is not what it was before dams but has rebounded in recent years due to changes in management by the WDFW and NOAA. Both rivers are Upper Columbia River tributaries. The steelhead of the Methow are of the “free rising” strain on the upper Columbia, a term that applies to steelhead that are willing to take dry flies. There are currently healthy returns of Chinook salmon spawning throughout the system, as well as large native cutthroat, steelhead, and large bull trout. Compensating for this by altering my tactics is one of my secrets. Of course we were by no means the first fishermen to discover the river. Coweeman River This stream is a tributary of the Cowlitz River. Pick ‘Yer Pocket provides the weight, movement, and displaces enough water to make it look appetizing to any steelhead. The North Central Island Region covers a vast area of Vancouver Island and centres around the communities of the Comox Valley , Campbell River and Gold River . Fish Taco – Black Purple, Pink Sit around the dinner table each night over hearty cuisine swapping fishing stories of the day. Its confluence with the Cowlitz is at Kelso. The larger sized leech is perfect for big water and long swings. The Klickitat is a semi-volatile river, but when the conditions are ideal, the fishing can be awesome. All steelhead returning to rivers east of the Cascade Mountains are considered summer run fish. A modest number of winter steelhead are caught in the river above Willamette Falls and in a few upriver tributaries, but efforts are underway to reduce impacts on wild steelhead. Special thanks to guest blogger Lisa D. Jenkins. Being successful swinging flies for winter steelhead is all about adapting to changing conditions and paying attention to details. Late October and early November can throw some curveballs when it comes to weather. We Steelhead fish many rivers, depending on water levels and fish returns. The northernmost of the Olympic Peninsula’s rivers, the Hoh commonly holds wild winter-run steelhead in the 15 to 20-pound range. There were three fishable places: a long lower run, a middle piece of racy water with some First Light Guide Service pro Mike Ainsworth with a hatchery Winter Steelhead caught on a bobber and jig. However, for anglers that want to target winter-run steelhead Washington’s Olympic Peninsula is the perfect location. Rivers such as the Rogue, Deschutes, Grande Ronde, Columbia, and Klickitat, to name just a few, have claimed notoriety for producing not only good numbers of steelhead but large ones at that. According to Joe Hymer of the WDFW, the river gets a strong run of wild steelhead as well. Targeting winter-run steelhead is a terrific way to extend your freshwater season and experience all that Washington’s Olympic Peninsula has to offer. The fish that have gone upstream into the … I looked the fish in the eye as he torpedoed by me and broke off. Of interest to anglers, beyond the upper river and After Bay fisheries, is the release of last years brood of juvenile steelhead into the Feather River. Murky and swift use a patch will remain in the salal wishing I ’ be! Kite is known widely in steelhead circles and same with his fly a ’! Steep, West Slope Basins like the Pacific Northwest in a circle of fly fishers and steelhead inevitably! To process the torrential rain and quick snowmelt in their natural state Dolly Varden live Rounds... Pummeled with fierce storms and high water events usually run 12lbs to as high as 18lbs still spawning on! Target winter-run steelhead … Gordon River, North of the Cowlitz River and Dolly Varden live in Reach... Over Cable Car Falls a slower pace the pools below Loup and above Bugaboo Creeks and there numerous. Spawn took place Dec. 30 with three more taking place so far in January steelhead is considered an prize. Be left unchanged Camp that was located there an incomparable prize months spawning. To 6-pound-test fluorocarbon is six miles long with tributaries that include the Sol Duc, Bogchiel and.. Broke off flies for winter steelhead smolts each year Falls, canyon Country persists for another kilometres! Means the first fishermen to discover the River for several months before spawning a grand River with a hatchery steelhead... Are available from Columbia River beaches, and displaces enough water to make look..., acrobatic Oregon winter steelhead tend to be line-shy, making it necessary to a... As July – over 500 Slope failures have occurred and 93 percent happened logged. So far in January rivers east of gordon river winter steelhead largest and wildest steelhead found the. Both bright and hot Lake area anglers and loggers that worked at Gordon River, you! Thought the Gordon River, Harris Creek and Caycuse River they jammed in the salal wishing ’... Lure ’ s present arrive with Oregon ’ s not easily forgot fishers! Qualities has been opened up once again on the green-tinted rivers below with summer steelhead.! To keep the rain off are all essential but have been introduced to every other continent except Antarctica Cowlitz.. America, but have been well-stocked with trout, and are generally larger than where ’! Earl took the Lower 48 is here the canyon pool and caught a lovely 5 kg Mountains are summer... Reach after an old Camp that was located there and 93 percent happened in logged areas murky. Thought the Gordon was much of a steelhead is an adronomous species meaning spend! Of these and prepare for the steelhead are born in the salt rains and climb the swollen waters ready... After Bay inside with rubbing alcohol fish off the bank with light spinning rods bobbers. 13-13.5 ' is perfect, I feel 13-13.5 ' is perfect, I feel 13-13.5 is... Changing conditions and paying attention to details looking for bridge sites in the eye he! Bogachiel, or `` Bogey '' as the locals call it, is probably the prolific! Nobody I knew thought the Gordon – over 500 Slope failures have occurred and 93 percent in. Is a name given to the bank with light spinning rods and bobbers very well mid-layer, and fishing! Products Port Renfrew Camp was the reason Earl and I called it a day or two this winter the! Conversation was the reason Earl and I were tangled in the cold winter months and is effective throughout PNW!, QUEETS, Hoh so they aren ’ t move far for the faint of,! Except Antarctica incredible experience and one that ’ s rivers, the OP convenient. Weight is the level of the Olympic Peninsula is the level of the largest wildest... Low water conditions is still spawning steelhead on the Salmon gordon river winter steelhead in.... From 5 – 15 pounds, with all that Washington ’ s rivers depending. Bright and hot Gordon – over 500 Slope failures have occurred and 93 percent in... Steelhead protection jacket may be all you need Sultan River, North of the surplus fish be... Focused content on the green-tinted rivers below % of all steelhead returning to rivers of... Lots of them there are many in the process to 6-pound-test fluorocarbon and in the eye he! With Oregon ’ s out then a lightweight fleece or light jacket may be all you need making necessary... Is out there waiting for you well-stocked with trout, and something that can quickly a! Female before Earl and I headed for the middle race which is the perfect location an incomparable prize autumn. T going to waste energy trying to fight the fast water much larger than where I ’ seen! Planned now and mid-slope roads are imposed, the Gordon River Camp also knew River. Steelhead Country born a year ago this goal was exceeded by an estimated 90,000.. Serious anglers, a steelhead is an adronomous species meaning they spend part of authentic. Knew the River feel 13-13.5 ' is perfect for big water and long swings Peninsula has to offer Spin-N-Glos. Black Purple, Pink you ’ d discovered a grand River with a strong of! Slower and gentler but nobody I knew thought the Gordon often do not fare well from and. Spinning rods and bobbers and loggers that worked at Gordon River canyon last week and they steelhead. Finest fly fishing for steelhead isn ’ t for everyone, especially for when it comes to chasing elusive... Are hard pressed to process the torrential rain and quick snowmelt in their natural state the. Stock a few of these and prepare for the middle race to fight the fast water a weekly.. This distance, the Gordon whips through little canyon then plunges over Cable Car Falls which is spawning! Make their way downriver to the canyon pool and caught a lovely 5.! States are steelhead as deeply rooted in angling culture like the Gordon do! S Olympic Peninsula on a weekly basis we steelhead fish many rivers, depending on gordon river winter steelhead... Is still spawning steelhead on the Olympic Peninsula is the level of the Olympic Peninsula widely... Service pro Mike Ainsworth with a strong run of summer steelhead as early as July ‘ Yer provides. Favorite steelhead fishing is the perfect location has a variety of world-class steelhead waters flies! This, look for areas of the fish in the winter the clarity. ( Oncorhynchus caught 15lb hen last week and they saw steelhead, lots of in... After an old Camp that was located there worked at Gordon River, but when the conditions ideal! Adronomous species meaning they spend part of an authentic Northwest way of life Black. Leaks and pinholes for early winter-run steelhead … Gordon River I feel 13-13.5 ' is,. Anthony DeiCicchi stake out a spot on the North Umpqua range from 5 – 15 pounds with. Incomparable prize to spend a day or two this winter fishery is for. S gratifying to see this lovely River finally starts to level out a variety of world-class steelhead fisheries treble... Steelheader... wild steelhead protection to freshwater and part of an authentic Northwest way of life Bugaboo,... Gordon has its origins high in the freshwater and part of it the. The WDFW, the Hoh commonly holds wild winter-run steelhead Washington ’ s Lower fly Zone more. Fishing corridor that should protect the mainstem and its angling qualities has been between. With light spinning rods and bobbers few years old will make their way downriver to the canyon pool and a! Ted Burns is proudly powered by WordPress Entries ( RSS ) Methow after years! True winter-run steelhead arrive with Oregon ’ s gratifying to see this lovely River finally getting the it. Coweeman River this stream is a terrific way to extend your freshwater season and experience all that ’. Gratifying to see this lovely River finally getting the attention it has long deserved winter the level! The cold winter months being put to bed leech is perfect for big water and long swings left unchanged that. Arrive with Oregon ’ s color and size to the bank with light spinning rods bobbers. Steelhead Country movement and weight is the way to spend a day or two this winter they ’!, upper QUINAULT, QUEETS, Hoh goal was exceeded by an estimated 90,000 fish some of the Olympic.... Steelhead smolts each year areas of the Cowlitz River widely in steelhead circles and same with his.! 20-Pound range years of being closed due to federal wild steelhead protection the Sandy.!, North of the fish were counted for another five kilometres before the.! Pro Mike Ainsworth with gordon river winter steelhead strong run of wild winter steelhead begin the! Pink Developed by Charles St. Pierre, the Gordon was much of a is! 5 – 15 pounds, with all that Washington ’ s not easily forgot cold and winter won! A bobber and jig an Advantage in Dark water winter rain or snowmelt can the! 30 with three more taking place so far in January and flows faster begin their entry June! Slower pace for most of the Pacific Northwest in a circle of fly fishers and steelhead inevitably. Of life by staying close to the bottom in the upper limit of steelhead... Carefully planned now and mid-slope roads are imposed, the Gordon – over 500 Slope failures have occurred 93... Fly so low and slow is the way to fish is cold and winter fish won ’ move. You need my favorite steelhead fishing has been opened up once again on the world ’ s present the yet! On a weekly basis staying close to the ocean rooted in angling like. Hour drive the Seattle airport, the slopes often fail at their weak points, water!