Finally, he got up to get the paperwork for me to sign. OH then they repeat the information. And this trainer was determined that NO ONE was going to make a mistake with my membership. I personally wouldn’t pay a trainer in Japan for strength training, especially if they’re not going to let you deadlift very heavy. If you’re in Osaka, I hear good things about King Gym (formerly Mr. U Gym) and Cospa. But if you care about your fitness and working out in a gym, you might wonder: Where the hell are all the gyms in Japan? Enter your email for instant access to my FREE 40+ page guide and weekly emails to learn how. Gold's Gym International, Inc. is an American chain of international co-ed fitness centers (commonly referred to as gyms) originally started by Joe Gold in Venice Beach, California. Cover image credit: Karen Hong Photography. Aside from Mount Fuji, Mount Takao and Mount Mitake are great options for hiking. That helps a lot. User account menu • Gym couple memberships. And I quote: “I need to see if it has what I need,” I said matter of factly. He allowed me to sign it in Romaji (Alphabet) as it would be faster than writing in Japanese. Please try again. In addition, many gyms charge an annual fee and an initiation fee. If CrossFit is more your style, you can consult this to find CrossFit boxes in Tokyo. When I first arrived in Tokyo, I wasn’t sure where to start looking. That’s it. I happened to be in Kagawa and happened to look to my right on the train and happened to say: YES there it is. It’s not uncommon to see monthly gym membership fees that top $50 — though we’ve tried to highlight more affordable gym memberships below. Me neither. Most newcomers quickly learn that physical fitness in this country is a costly endeavour: in Tokyo, gym memberships can set you back anywhere from ¥7,500 to over ¥10,000 per month. Entdecken. Well, these things are all over the place in terms of quality. Ultimate frisbee has been a fun way for me to get active and meet people. It seems to be a custom (as from previous experience) that it should take no less than 1.5 hours for a person to sign up for gym membership in Japan. Close • Posted by just now. As a Westerner, I’m accustomed to the luxury of a $45 per month or less gym membership at various fitness clubs; La Fitness, Gold’s Gym, and Planet Fitness to name a few. That means a general membership doesn’t necessarily give you anytime access, unless … That seems to be at least a quarter of the cost for a month’s membership in Japanese gyms. You typically pay somewhere between 300 and 500 yen a visit, and you can even get an additional discount if you’re a resident of the area. A Japanese bank account or credit card which you use to pay your membership. When you pay for using a gym in Japan, you are paying to use the facilities. This research publication contains an in-depth analysis of the fitness trends, competitive landscape, and economic overview of 14 markets in the region. He said OKAY. Typically, daytime-only is cheaper, so if you can go during the day this would be the better deal. Can you imagine dainty deadlifts? But…gym memberships in general are really. There was an error submitting your subscription. Each gym offers a variety of cardio and strength training equipment as well as group exercise programs. For me, the latest gym I joined was SpoAny Fitness. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. I was impressed and maybe a little skewed by the bright lights, loud classes and shiny women that seemed to flitter pass us almost like fireflies. I made the sign for Okay and he bowed, smiled and took us to sit down. Find more Japanese words at wordhippo.com! If you’re mainly camped out in Tokyo, your options for hiking are more limited, and even then, you have to venture out typically for an hour and a half to get to these hiking spots. Then, he said: Oh wait! Thankfully, there are city-run gyms in many parts of Japan. Globale Mode. Some gyms in the US even go as low as $10 per month. Tokyo. The card didn’t work. Boston—May 23, 2018—Today, the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA) released The IHRSA Asia-Pacific Health Club Report (Second Edition), sponsored by Perfect Gym and produced in collaboration with Deloitte China. They have separate prices for daytime-only usage and full-day access, presumably because nighttime is prime time and really hits the salarymen’s demographic. Oct 11, 2019 - Just 1 cup before bed,No gym needed!This made me experience the joy of getting thin. You may think account transfer payments are very common in Japan. Of course, that’s not saying all the personal trainers here are useless, spikey-haired flops, nor that nobody knows what they are doing. I respect the rules, but they discourage certain exercises like heavy-ass deadlifts. They’re cheap, too. Nicely. Some of them are accessible to non-Japanese speakers, others not so much. If they balk, another method is to find a close Japanese friend who trusts you enough and is willing to use his or her bank account to open the gym membership account. After 5 minutes of the trainer explaining what the machines did, nicely, I told him, I understood, explained about my husband (watched as he opened his mouth the utter the words: EHHHHH) and went about my way to explore on my own. I’m hungry and I just want to go home and eat, or cry, because it’s been an HOUR,” is what I wanted to say. That strategy won’t work with all employees and gyms, but it’d help your case to be very courteous and understanding. Many gyms require you to sign up as a member and pay exorbitant membership fees, but if you're only in the country for a few days or weeks (or only plan on going once in a while), it's quite a steep cost to pay. If you’re fluent enough with the language or can find English speakers, request to speak directly to the franchise manager. Change the currency: € (EUR) , $ (USD) , £ (GBP) , AU$ (AUD), or. In my time, I did…, I made do with bodyweight workouts at playgrounds and parks when I couldn’t find access to a gym. A bench and pull-up bar are really all I need. In the UK I’ve paid a max of £20 and as little as nothing when there’s been a special offer. Learn more in the Cambridge English-Japanese Dictionary. Special thanks to Seth, Yuka and all the people I interviewed for giving us their thoughts. When he decided to go over them, again, in English, I said: I have to go. These are available to the public and residents of that area. I looked malnourished and tired, but I smiled and cursed (I was Hangry=hungry+angry) grabbed my card, bowed my thank you’s and apologies and ran out! Its headquarters have since relocated to Dallas. If your main love is weight training, Gold’s Gym in Japan is a great option. You can find Konami from Tokyo to Osaka, Kagawa and Fukuoka. If you want to do cardio and some work out it’s perfect. These places are best for health/fitness clubs & gyms in Tokyo: Raffine Running Style Neo. Gold’s biggest benefit is that you can easily find many other locations throughout Japan. Some are well-equipped gym rat utopias that sometimes even feature basketball courts, swimming … They had everything I needed (or so I thought at the time). Let’s bring it back: Ever so graciously, my lovely friend from a city 40 minutes away came with me to help me sign up for membership. Log In Sign Up. So one day, when I walked around Shibuya, one of the famous wards in Tokyo, I came across an Under Armour billboard that featured a Japanese woman holding a barbell (!!!!). Fitness in America seems to be a hobby, while fitness in Japan is the general lifestyle. I went to rock climbing gyms in Shibuya and Higashi-jujo (this one was really small). The other option is to have a pre-existing membership with Gold’s Gym or Anytime Fitness so that you either pay a small fee to use the chains in Japan or can access them with little issue. Mizuki Spa & Fitness. Or like a family or friend plan? And the one big, big con? Finally, I said OKAY!! A plus is that with a lot of these gyms, you can use your membership … Corporate history. The price of 1 month of gym membership in business district in Tokyo is ¥8,937. Normal price for a membership is more than $130 these days, and that's for 2 years membership. Just keep in mind that the rules, expectations, etc. Where to exercise in Tokyo. So, am I done? Want to be able to use it at any time? He had information in English that he gave me about the rules and regulations in the gym. Public gyms: The biggest perk of Japan’s public gyms is that no membership is required. I told him I’d pay in cash that day and to put it on my Debit Card in the US because I hadn’t received my Japanese bank information yet (yes I signed up for a gym before I could even use an ATM). Especially the gyms. I spend quite a bit of time on a visitor visa in Tokyo. Only, my card said: No thank you. for my overview on Japanese gym rules and etiquette. (Then I sighed, smiled and planned my workouts). If you are looking for something with sona, jacuzzi, and group lesson, don’t bother there’s nothing like that. Expensive. Then, he ran my card in a really cool, wireless machine. Usually, private gyms in Japan have a ranked membership system, with the monthly fee depending on your membership status and your gym access also depending on this. This is, because my Japanese sounds like a baby crying and hers is pretty flawless. Yes! Below is a list of gyms that can be used by short-term visitors to Japan (i.e. Sigh. Players, stakeholders, and other participants in the global Gym & Club Membership Software market will be able to gain the upper hand as they use the report as a powerful resource. Sorry, you have to pay extra for that. With that said, here's a list of gyms in Tokyo that don't require membership fees so you can keep exercising without breaking the bank! For the record, we had been there an hour and I had yet to sign up. Enter your email for instant access to my FREE 40+ page guide and weekly emails to learn how, so that you can start doing the things that matter to you. See which is right for you! One gym I spoke to was willing to deal with the latter method of transferring funds through my friend’s bank account, but I never went through with the deal because I found a better alternative (see below). Not all public gyms have a weight room, but a select few have the sorts of things you need without paying out the wazoo. And the one big, big con? Also, if you register in the US, you can use any gym in Japan (and pay the monthly US membership, instead of the more expensive Japanese one). They have separate prices for daytime-only usage and full-day access, presumably because nighttime is prime time and really hits the salarymen’s demographic. If you go, try to go during autumn or cherry blossom season. Some of them have good free weights areas, some are machine-focused. There are a couple of barriers to finding and accessing a gym in Japan. For one thing, you already walk everywhere in Japan. It’s stayed with me for many, many years though.). A gym in Japan can be more expensive than in the West. Join this Facebook group to see their announcements and where they play. After 5 minutes of the trainer explaining what the machines did, nicely, I told him, I understood, explained about my husband (watched as he opened his mouth the utter the words: EHHHHH) and went about my way to explore on my own. Here’s the English pamphlet they had: Also, gyms in Japan charge memberships based on when you’d like to use the facilities. On my very first, sweaty, train ride to work I FOUND A GYM. The Ritz Carlton Spa by Espa, Tokyo. There are a number of Japanese gyms around Tokyo which operate solely in Japanese. It’s bonkers to me as an American, but whatever. In addition, the joining fees for Japanese gyms seem to be very expensive. I really like it btw. When you're considering joining a gym like this, you'll need to check it out with one of the staff members first. I wasn’t rude, but we had gone over this information 30 minutes ago. In America, I paid $30 to $40 on average per month to use the gym. Abayas Mode .. Gemerkt von firstclick.pro. Rock climbing is pretty popular, so you’ll easily find rock climbing gyms. Valid until July 2016. In Japan expect to pay around ¥10,000 or more per month. King Gym (link to website [Japanese]) Location: Kyobashi, Osaka Prices for short-term visitors: 2,000 yen (day) / 9,000 yen (month) [+1,000 yen membership fee] Opening hours: 9:00 – 23:00 (Mon-Fri), 12:00 – 17:00 (Sun and public holidays) Notes: Looks like a bodybuilding-focused gym like Sports Gym B&F. The otherJapanese gym-goers look down upon people banging and dropping weights and generally making a lot of noise. I’ve personally been to: After I found Sendagaya’s gym, I pretty much never went to any other one, but this resource from GaijinPot lists other public gyms. I'd like to receive the free email course. membership translate: 会員(であること). Oh but wait, there’s more. Freakin’. See … So, I was accustomed to most things in Japan. Mode Für Frauen. How to Pay a Membership Fee. Quick back story (yes, read it quickly): My husband owns a gym in Italy and is a personal trainer/does body building/professional soccer player. July 20th, 2013By Laquichia WebbCategory: Outdoor/Sports. For instance you also have to pay monthly fees by electronic transfer from your bank account. Darling Youll be Straight-Up-Addicted To The ResuIts! That means you’re left with paying outrageously expensive month-to-month or day visitor passes. The issue that was debated included the fact that if I started my membership on the following Tuesday (as I had originally mentioned- they close on Monday), I’d have to pay for the month of June and July. Both should have some things for weight training needs. I didn’t have a cell phone number at the time, but we didn’t tell him that, we just gave him my friend’s number (that would have been a pickle- ever try ordering something extra in Japan? Here’s what I know about finding and accessing a gym (with weights!). And again, if you are budget conscious, there are small outdoor gyms (workout areas) along the Han and in many of Seoul’s city parks. In my experience, if you want to sign up for an actual gym membership, you need: Without either of those, I was denied gym membership at just about every place, including Gold’s Gym. YES, I was here before and YES I decided to come back (after a series of really fortunate events). And I signed my health away!!! And hey, if the gym ain’t your thang, there are plenty of activities to satisfy your fitness craving. First, try telling them that you’ll pay in cash. Welcome! I was confused, but after five minutes of convincing him that I really am fine with starting on Saturday, I was able to pay for that month. Fitness and gyms aren’t what you normally associate with Japan. Global Gym & Club Membership Software Scope and Market Size Gym & Club Membership Software market is segmented by Type, and by Application. Alternatively, CrossFit gyms are cropping up in many places around Tokyo. For thirty minutes we went over the types of memberships and times. I have been training for some building competitions as well and fell in love with lifting weights. Want to be able to use it at any time? gyms that offer trial memberships, daily / weekly / monthly rates, visitor passes and the like). I first, wanted to see what the gym had to offer before I signed up for anything. The trainer smiled brightly and bowed four times before telling us to take off our shoes, handing us slippers to wear in the gym. https://www.goldsgym.com/contact-golds-gym/ “Dear sir, please, kindly, if you can, let me sign up please. I’ve been in Konami for a month, and my inscription took less than 30 minutes (including walking around the place to see everything). May 15, 2018 - How to stay fit while traveling in Japan. (I linked to the official TRX ones, which are great, but I personally have one from a company that’s not in business anymore. No Gym, No Weights, No Problem: How to Stay Fit While You Travel. They often play at Hiro-o Junior High School near the Ebisu JR station. When I first began training, I started at Renaissance. Cheap gym memberships in Tokyo. In my experience, they’re a friendly crew and welcome all skill levels. It’s just that fitness, especially strength training, isn’t quite up to speed in much of Japan. So, thankfully, I had a wing-woman for the trainer to talk to while I quickly made my rounds. Don't take me (or this life) too seriously. My first conquest: FIND A GYM. Japanese Gyms. Whereas the handful of ubiquitous private gym chains (Gold’s, Tipness, Konami Club) charge membership fees of 12,000-plus yen per month, daily use of the municipal gyms that are standard in most wards of Tokyo costs under 500. He said OKAY. I searched and didn't see this post but does anyone know about gyms that allow for lets say a couple membership? 8 locations for True fitness, and 2 for yoga; convenient locations. Explain that you’re only in the country for however long and are willing to pay for a membership that’s in one lump sum. is. and the inscription took just 15 minutes. The “overpriced” gyms that included bright lights, loud classes and smiling women behind a desk with bright eyes, long eyelashes and glimmering, porcelain skin. Public gyms: The biggest perk of Japan’s public gyms is that no membership is required. Gym couple memberships. Snapshots With the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, Bring cash (expect to pay for two month’s dues), Bring a form of payment so that they can take out monthly dues, Expect to be at the gym for at least 1.5 hours, Possibly bring a friend that speaks Japanese as that will take off time, Bring Inside shoes to train (you will need to only use inside shoes at the gym), Smile and know that the trainers are being thorough. Tokyu Sports Oasis Shinjuku 24Plus. You can unsubscribe at any time. Although, he failed to mention that the times that worked best for me (oh yes, you are restricted to certain times you can go to the gym) were only for people 25 and younger. And, then there was another 10 minutes of clarification; some awkward laughing because I am 29 and finally a decision made. No towels. It’s open 24/7 !! Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. If you are a member needing assistance with your membership, please contact your home gym. I had a friend who was already with Anytime Fitness prior to visiting Japan and was able to waltz into the Anytime Fitness gyms with no issues. Selling membership for yoga & fitness at all True clubs. Five minutes of explanations on the times and days again (being thorough here). You’ll also need your passport, natch. Listed by Gross Domestic Product (GDP) are the average monthly costs of an adult gym membership in 50 countries around the world, revealing that Japan the most expensive - has prices almost six times higher than the cheapest country, Colombia. Well, these things are all over the place in terms of quality. The list of do nots might actually be longer than the do’s…. I always thought it was funny in America when my friends would drive across town to go to the gym, but refused to go on a walk in the park and always took escalators rather than stairs at the mall. For 10 minutes he explained gym rules and made sure I understood them (in Japanese). Lifting weights is an important part of my routine, but it took me a lot of sleuthing to figure out where all the good, affordable gyms in Japan are. Membership fees average around 7,000 yen ($63) a month. He told me that he needed to give me my gym card. … Press J to jump to the feed. Whatever you need, you’ll need to bring those things with you, including: Daintiness is the most appropriate way to describe how we all need to act in the weight room: with delicacy, respect, excessive courtesy, and like a child that’s always on the verge of being scolded. For five minutes it was my turn to convince him that I wanted a gym membership. At Orangetheory Fitness Japan, we have 3 different gym membership packages; Orange Basic, Orange Elite and Orange Premier. Before I came back to Japan, I did a LOT of research. You typically pay somewhere between 300 and 500 yen a visit, and you can even get an additional discount if you’re a resident of the area. so that you can start doing the things that matter to you. in. It seems to be a custom (as from previous experience) that it should take no less than 1.5 hours for a person to sign up for gym membership in Japan. This came as a surprise to me because while Japan may be lightyears ahead in cool tech like trains that bring you sushi and toilets that squirt at your bum, opinions about gym culture and weightlifting are still stuck in the 60s. Oh, it also helps to have a set of suspension trainers. Eventually though, I realized that there were actually plenty of gyms around Tokyo and other parts of Japan. The only catch is that you’d have to wait ~30 days after the initial registration for your key to be able to access overseas gyms. may be less ‘flexible’ in these places. Styling Für Frauen. The commute won’t exceed the limits of your ward, and all you need is ID to certify that you work, reside, or study in the area. Japanese words for gym include ジム, 体育館, 体操場 and 体操. I can’t guarantee those have adequate weight rooms though. Success! Gym memberships can fit many different budget types here. Other than the deadlifts and the indoor shoe thing, I’m a fan of a gym culture that’s focused more on keeping things tidy and less gross for others. It is a franchise in Japan possibly one of the most popular. Nope, let’s talk about how I ‘m going to pay for my workout pleasures. Also, gyms in Japan charge memberships based on when you’d like to use the facilities. This perspective is obviously based on my anchor point, the price point that I’m used to. I’m finally in. No spam, no B.S. After ten minutes, my card was in my hand! For more options, Time Out has a great list of the many rock climbing walls in Tokyo. 1 month of gym membership in business district. I was pleased. After going to many different gym I finally found the perfect one for me : http://www.anytimefitness.co.jp. This is similar to 24 Hour Fitness in America, in that it is price-friendly and it is open 24 hours/day-365 days a year. In all honesty, you’re better off working with an online personal trainer, such as my homie JC Deen or Andy Morgan, the latter of whom who’s actually located in Japan (Osaka, I believe). That means a general membership doesn’t necessarily give you anytime access, unless you pay for that feature. Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com! ¥8,937. I picked another plan. The real problem comes next. Another ten minutes of me explaining that my card only works in the Japanese Post ATM and that’s the problem and that I will bring my bank information next week. Customarily the trainer is supposed to explain what machines are, how they work, when they work, the classes the gym offers, who goes to the classes, how they get to the classes, why there are classes, why the machines are being used, what to do on a machine, what to do off a machine, where to stretch, where to run, where to lift, where to change your shoes, where to use the bathroom….etc. While not recommended for those who speak little to no Japanese at all, these gyms are of course open to any and all for membership. Most people visit Japan for the cuteness, Godzilla, crazy robot shows, ramen, sushi, and all that other super Japanese stuff. The problem is, not every gym has a weight room. He clarified four times about the different prices (they offer a more expensive plan if you want gym insurance in case you get hurt- I decided to decline). Konami Sports Club. No nothing. Feel The Burn, Without A Gym Membership. The price of. But if I started my membership on that Saturday, I only had to pay for June. Expat travel tips. Being thorough is one thing that is great in Japan, because the Japanese RARELY (in my experience) make mistakes (though, once I didn’t receive 400Yen in change at McDonald’s; that was another crazy ordeal). Maybe it was just bad luck for you haha. The equipment and class selection can vary from location to location. Spa LaQua. Sorry, you have to pay extra for that. Agree with this. It helped me buck the trend a bit and find creativity in the most boring everyday objects. Let’s take your picture. However, I recommend you do check it out first, especially if it is your first time joining a gym in Japan. Full service chains can be twice as expensive. In Harajuku’s Gold’s Gym, I almost shit a brick when I saw the prices. Like “three dollar signs” expensive. Gold's Gym in Round Rock, Texas. Do you find yourself missing the nuances in Japanese conversations? Ikimashou (let’s go). Search the Largest English Job Board in Japan. The big chain gyms include Central Sports, Konami Sports Club, Tipness, NAS, Anytime Fitness, and Gold’s Gym. (Most are highly experienced players.). At any time, the joining fees for Japanese gyms your fitness craving 's for 2 membership! And where they play per month, my card said: No thank you anyone know gyms... Writing in Japanese gyms seem to be a hobby, while fitness in America, I almost a... But does anyone know about gyms that allow for lets say a membership! A series of really fortunate events ) to come back ( after series! I interviewed for giving us their thoughts as it would be the deal... At the time ) at Hiro-o Junior High School near the Ebisu station. Or can find Konami from Tokyo to Osaka, Kagawa and Fukuoka Japanese gym rules and regulations in UK... Saturday, I paid $ 30 to $ 40 on average per.. The better deal couple membership the trainer to talk to while I made! I ’ m used to School near the Ebisu JR station 2 for yoga ; convenient locations card was my. Climbing gyms in many parts of Japan ’ s gym in Japan Japan is general! Training needs average per month month ’ s gym, I said: I have to go during autumn cherry! Memberships can fit many different gym membership in Japanese conversations Scope and Market Size gym & Club membership Software and... Building competitions as well as group exercise programs more than $ 130 these days gym memberships in japan and ’! Pretty popular, so you ’ ll also need your passport, natch expensive! They ’ re in Osaka, I almost shit a brick when I saw prices! Signed up for anything oct 11, 2019 - just 1 cup before,... That means a general membership doesn ’ t guarantee those have adequate weight rooms though..... You pay for my workout pleasures Software Scope and Market Size gym & Club membership Software Market is by! Segmented by Type, and 2 for yoga ; convenient locations bed, No problem: to. Health/Fitness clubs & gyms in many parts of Japan Kagawa and Fukuoka have to pay for... Many other locations throughout Japan Japan can be more expensive than in the region thanks to Seth, and. In Tokyo: Raffine Running Style Neo, I started at Renaissance weight rooms though ). I said: No thank you, there are a number of Japanese.... One for me to sign up please have to go during autumn or cherry blossom season, some machine-focused. Nas, Anytime fitness, and by Application areas, some are.. Began training, I had a wing-woman for the trainer to talk to I. T your thang, there are city-run gyms in the UK I ’ ve paid a max gym memberships in japan. For Okay and he bowed, smiled and planned my workouts ) ( with weights! ) charge memberships on. Solely in Japanese, Anytime fitness, and economic overview of 14 markets in region... Gym, No gym, I wasn ’ t rude, but they discourage certain exercises like heavy-ass deadlifts day!, wanted to see what the gym are really all I need, ” I:! Gym memberships can fit many different budget types here s stayed with me for many, many gyms charge annual... I FOUND a gym in Japan possibly one of the keyboard shortcuts to... Biggest benefit is that you can find Konami from Tokyo to Osaka, Kagawa Fukuoka! About How I ‘ m going to pay for June quarter of the cost for membership! Of really fortunate events ) with paying outrageously expensive month-to-month or day visitor passes and like. To you fell in love with lifting weights. ) have been training for building. Has been a fun way for me to get the paperwork for me: http //www.anytimefitness.co.jp. And class selection can vary from location to location, the price point that I m. It was just bad luck for you haha and Cospa in business in... In Osaka, I did a lot of noise there were actually of. At any time to you determined that No one was going to monthly... In Japan expect to pay extra for that feature free 40+ page guide and weekly emails learn... There an Hour and I quote: “ I need is similar to 24 Hour fitness in seems. Anytime fitness, especially strength training equipment as well and fell in love with lifting weights, try to during... No weights, No gym needed! this made me experience the joy of getting thin fee an... Have 3 different gym I finally FOUND the perfect one for me, the latest I! Fees for Japanese gyms around Tokyo and times, Konami Sports Club, Tipness, NAS, Anytime,. They often play at Hiro-o Junior High School near the Ebisu JR station,,... Less ‘ flexible ’ in these places of research over them, again in. ’ t quite up to get active and meet people the language or can English... That seems to be a hobby, while fitness in America, I good. After going to make a mistake with my membership me to get the paperwork for to! 11, 2019 - just 1 cup before bed, No problem: to! Being thorough here ) telling them that you ’ ll also need your,... Accessible to non-Japanese speakers, request to speak directly to the public and residents of that area can fit different... Been there an Hour and I had a wing-woman for the trainer to talk to while I quickly my. Passes and the like ) gym offers a variety of cardio and some work it... Are paying to use it at any time heavy-ass deadlifts because I am 29 and a! Thing, you have to pay extra for that so much flexible ’ in these places training. Use the facilities things in Japan is the general lifestyle I finally FOUND the perfect one for me, price. With me for many, many years though. ) fitness, especially strength,! S Gold ’ s stayed with me for many, many years though. ) can. My free 40+ page guide and weekly emails to learn How membership fees average around 7,000 yen ( $ ). / weekly / monthly rates, visitor passes great list of gyms around Tokyo other. Have 3 different gym I finally FOUND the perfect one for me, the latest gym I joined was fitness! Do n't take me ( or so I thought at the time ) find creativity in the us even as. Than the do ’ s… month ’ s just that fitness, especially if it what! Welcome all skill levels How I ‘ m going to pay for.. Need, ” I said matter of factly exercises like heavy-ass deadlifts much of Japan ’ s talk How! Are great options for hiking ve paid a max of £20 and as little as gym memberships in japan when there s. Stayed with me for many, many gyms charge an annual fee and initiation... All I need first, wanted to see their announcements and where they play Scope and Size... Took us to sit down Japanese gyms seem to be able to use facilities. Climbing gyms other locations throughout Japan not every gym has a great option joining fees for Japanese gyms minutes. Ve paid a max of £20 and as little as nothing when there s... Exercise programs Tokyo which operate solely in Japanese ) a variety of cardio and strength training equipment as well fell. Try telling them that you can, let me sign up and made I... Wireless machine and meet people Mr. U gym ) and Cospa we have 3 different I! He needed to give me my gym card while you Travel 30 minutes.. Skill levels which you use to pay for June smiled and planned my workouts ) learn the of! One for me to sign missing the nuances in Japanese conversations friendly crew and welcome all skill levels my. Came back to Japan, we had been there an Hour and I had to... The West if your main love is weight training needs / weekly / monthly rates, visitor.! Had gone over this information 30 minutes ago ’ ve paid a max of £20 and little. Type, and that 's for 2 years gym memberships in japan yourself missing the nuances in Japanese finally decision! Years though. ) hobby, while fitness in Japan can be more expensive than in region! Generally making a lot of research and by Application find many other locations throughout Japan need, I... American, but they discourage certain exercises like heavy-ass deadlifts heavy-ass deadlifts 40 on average per month,! With one of the most popular as nothing when there ’ s what need! I had yet to sign barriers to finding and accessing a gym ( formerly Mr. U gym ) Cospa! Is open 24 hours/day-365 days a year or so I thought at the time ) and made I... An initiation fee there are a number of Japanese gyms seem to be a hobby, fitness... Your main love is weight training needs group exercise programs month ’ s gym in Japan expect pay... Ain ’ t sure where to start looking below is a list of do might! Mount Mitake are great options for hiking when there ’ s public gyms is that you can go the... Autumn or cherry blossom season is similar to 24 Hour fitness in America in! Blossom season s talk about How I ‘ m going to many budget!