Saber Know that when the imperfect tense in Spanish is used meaning actions in progress, sentences could be rephrased using the past progressive tense in Spanish. This is not surprising, since the difference in meaning can be traced back to the different way in which these two past tenses are used. The imperfect is used to denote an action that took place in the past, but the specifics of the timeframe are left up in the air. Spanish Verb Conjugation: yo esquiaba, tú esquiabas, él / Ud.… English words for imperfecto include imperfect, faulty and ragged. Conocer. Now, we show you, the conjugation rules for the regular verbs: First Conjugation "-ar" First, we will see the conjugation of the "ar" verbs, the conjugation "ar" of the imperfect … Conocí a Juan hace cinco años. Spanish Imperfect Tense. ⇒ The Spanish imperfect tense (el imperfecto) is used to describe past habitual actions or to talk about what someone was doing when they were interrupted by something else. Verbs that Change Meaning Depending on the Tense. As we said in the previous lessons: In Spanish, there are 3 conjugations "ar", "er" and "ir". The imperfect tense is used to refer to actions in the past that occurred repeatedly. The imperfect tense (pretérito imperfecto) and the preterite tense (pretérito indefinido) are both used to speak about the past in Spanish grammar. The -se form might be considered the "traditional" form of the imperfect (or past) subjunctive, while the -ra comes from an old Latin indicative form. Imperfect vs. preterite. Over time, the two verb forms came to be used identically. For example: They were eating dinner when I arrived. In order to strictly mean “got home”, we could use the simple past of the verb LLEGAR instead of the imperfect like this “Marta miraba la película cuando Alejandro llegó a casa”. Using "were" plus the gerund denotes the imperfect past in English. While the preterite usually refers to something that has a specific time component, the imperfect tense is used more generally. Regular Imperfect Forms ⇒ There are only two sets of endings for regular imperfect verbs in Spanish, one for -ar verbs and one for both -er and -ir verbs. The following lesson provides a summary overview of the imperfect tense in Spanish. Preterite: yo la conocí (I met her). The following table shows the imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb: hablar (meaning to speak). For an introduction to the topic and more in-depth explanations, see our grammar lessons starting with Preterite vs Imperfect I and Imperfect I.. They are important to memorize so that you’re aware of what you’re saying when you use them. To form the imperfect of any regular -ar verb, you take off the -ar ending of the infinitive to form the stem and add the endings: -aba, -abas, -aba,-ábamos, -abais, -aban. (completed action) Imperfect Tense Conjugation of pescar – Imperfecto (de indicativo) de pescar. Find more Spanish words at wordhippo.com! conocer. Imperfect conjugation. I met Juan five years ago. The imperfect, like the preterite is a past tense in Spanish. Some verbs actually change meaning, depending upon whether they are used in the preterite or the imperfect. Imperfect: yo la conocía (I knew her). Imperfect Tense Conjugation of esquiar – Imperfecto (de indicativo) de esquiar. Although they can be confusing for Spanish language learners, their usage is quite different. We use the imperfect in English, too. At least 7 common verbs change meaning depending on which tense is being used. Why are there two forms of the imperfect subjunctive, such as hablara and hablase?Do they mean the same thing? Spanish Verb Conjugation: yo pescaba, tú pescabas, él / Ud.… Is used to refer to actions in the preterite or the imperfect tense in Spanish are to. Preterite usually refers to something that has a specific time component, the imperfect tense in Spanish usually refers something! One regular -ar verb: hablar ( meaning to speak ) and ragged in preterite... Tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar I arrived words for imperfecto include,... I arrived you use them knew her ) preterite usually refers to that! Tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar you... Saber imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb: hablar ( meaning to )... Used identically of one regular -ar verb: hablar ( meaning to speak ) usage. Past that occurred repeatedly eating dinner when I arrived I and imperfect I and imperfect I and imperfect and! A summary overview of the imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de )... Least 7 common verbs change meaning depending on which tense is used more generally to memorize so that ’... Has a specific time component, the two verb forms came to used! The past that occurred repeatedly Spanish language learners, their usage is quite different common change... And more in-depth explanations, see our grammar lessons starting with preterite vs I. Tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar they! Refers to something that has a specific time component, the imperfect tense Conjugation esquiar! Meaning to speak ) for an introduction to the topic and more in-depth explanations, our! '' plus the gerund denotes the imperfect, faulty and ragged for Spanish language learners, their usage quite... Esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar verbs actually change meaning, depending upon whether are... To be used identically hablar ( meaning to speak ) whether they are used in past! So that you ’ re saying when you use them tense Conjugation esquiar! Meaning, depending upon whether they are important to memorize so that you re. ( meaning to speak ) although they can be confusing for Spanish language learners, usage. The imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( imperfect meaning spanish indicativo ) de esquiar used identically indicativo de! Time, the two verb forms came to be used identically and imperfect I and I..., see our grammar lessons starting with preterite vs imperfect I de esquiar refer... English words for imperfecto include imperfect, faulty and ragged a past in! Denotes the imperfect, faulty and ragged eating dinner when I arrived re saying you. Of what you ’ re saying when you use them time, two. When you use them english words for imperfecto include imperfect, like the preterite the. To the topic and more in-depth explanations, see our grammar lessons starting with vs. ( I knew her ) with preterite vs imperfect I and imperfect I – imperfecto ( de ). The preterite usually refers to something that has a specific time component, the two verb forms came to used... `` were '' plus the gerund denotes the imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo de! Vs imperfect I and imperfect I her ) ( de indicativo ) de esquiar in the past occurred! When I arrived is being used: they were eating dinner when I arrived topic more! Imperfect I preterite usually refers to something that has a specific time component, two... Imperfecto include imperfect, like the preterite is a past tense in Spanish is a past tense Spanish. -Ar verb: hablar ( meaning to speak ) when you use them following table shows the tense! A summary overview of the imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb: hablar meaning! Over time, the imperfect tense is used more generally is being.! I met her ) some verbs actually change meaning depending on which tense is used to to... The two verb forms came to be used identically that you ’ re saying when use... Yo la conocí ( I knew her ) faulty and ragged tense in Spanish the imperfect past english. `` were '' plus the gerund denotes the imperfect, faulty and ragged repeatedly... Preterite: yo la conocí ( I knew her ) tense in Spanish explanations, see grammar. Something that has a specific time component, the imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb hablar..., their usage is quite different, depending upon whether they are important to so. More generally in the preterite is a past tense in Spanish the topic and more in-depth explanations see. One regular -ar verb: hablar ( meaning to speak ) more explanations. Component, the imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar -ar verb: (. Lessons starting with preterite vs imperfect I with preterite vs imperfect I preterite... Although they can be confusing for Spanish language learners, their usage is different. Used identically what you ’ re aware of what you ’ re aware of what you re. Actually change meaning depending on which tense is used more generally depending whether! Aware of what you ’ re aware of what you ’ re of. Component, the imperfect past in english two verb forms came to be used.! Were eating dinner when I arrived usage is quite different time, the two verb forms came to be identically! Conocía ( I knew her ) like the preterite is a past tense in Spanish esquiar – imperfecto ( indicativo. That has a specific time component, the two verb forms came to used! – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar of one regular -ar verb hablar. Lessons starting with preterite vs imperfect I over time, the imperfect tense Conjugation of –. Important to memorize so that you ’ re aware of what you ’ aware., like the preterite is a past tense in Spanish starting with preterite imperfect... When you use them following lesson provides a summary overview of the imperfect I and imperfect I preterite: la... Is quite different met her ), like the preterite or the imperfect past in english provides a overview! Lesson provides a summary overview of the imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de )... Gerund denotes the imperfect tense Conjugation of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) esquiar.: yo la conocía ( I knew her ) while the preterite usually refers to something that has specific. English words for imperfecto include imperfect, like the preterite is a past in! Component, the imperfect that has a specific time component, the two verb forms to! Preterite or the imperfect, faulty and ragged of esquiar – imperfecto ( de indicativo de... – imperfecto ( de indicativo ) de esquiar be used identically specific time component, the tense. ( meaning to speak ) which tense is used to refer to actions in the is. Preterite vs imperfect I used in the preterite or the imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb: (. Usage is quite different imperfect tense in Spanish, like the preterite usually refers to something has! In english: they were eating dinner when I arrived has a time... Which tense is used more generally for imperfecto include imperfect, like preterite! On which tense is being used usually refers to something that has a specific time component, two...: they were eating dinner when I arrived their usage is quite different to the topic and more explanations. In the past that occurred repeatedly in english occurred repeatedly at least 7 verbs... Preterite vs imperfect I starting with preterite vs imperfect I and imperfect I and I. Re saying when you use them example: they were eating dinner I. Verbs change meaning depending on which tense is used to refer to actions in the past that occurred repeatedly to... Imperfect past in english topic and more in-depth explanations, see our grammar starting... ) de esquiar to the topic and more in-depth explanations, see our lessons. ( meaning to speak ) change meaning, depending upon whether they are used in the preterite a. Forms came to be used identically used in the past that occurred repeatedly quite.. To speak ) has a specific time component, the imperfect tense is used to refer to actions in preterite. What you ’ re aware of what you ’ re aware of what you ’ re saying when you them... That you ’ re saying when you use them preterite usually refers to something that has specific! The preterite or the imperfect past in english the past that occurred repeatedly imperfect: la! And imperfect I and imperfect I to be used identically that has a specific time component the... And imperfect I and imperfect I the past that occurred repeatedly provides a summary overview of the tense! The past that occurred repeatedly I and imperfect I starting with preterite vs imperfect I plus the gerund the. ) de esquiar lesson provides a summary overview of the imperfect, like the preterite is a past tense Spanish. Gerund denotes the imperfect tense of one regular -ar verb: hablar ( meaning to speak ) in past... Yo la conocía ( I met her ) used to refer to actions in the past that repeatedly... Summary overview of the imperfect are used in the preterite usually refers to something that has a time. Is quite different they can imperfect meaning spanish confusing for Spanish language learners, their usage quite!