amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; -Taryn. Search the MarineTraffic ships database of more than 550000 active and decommissioned vessels. It is the perfect destination to wrap up your road trip by spending some time on the water – whether that’s kayaking, fishing, diving or whale watching with Sidney Whale Watching. The water pours over the lip of the sandstone cliff onto the beach. A note of caution: there’s no cell service along this portion of the route. ... she is destined to operate north of the Arctic Circle in anticipation of a year-round Northern Shipping Route in support of Russian development of a warming Arctic region and the natural resources that lie therein. Find locations of ports and ships using the near Real Time ships map. Take a walk out along the spit to get great views of the calm Sooke basin on one side and the wilder Juan de Fuca straight on the other side. I have a complete guide to visiting them all in my article How to Visit Avatar Grove, Big Lonely Doug and Other Big Trees on Vancouver Island. From the parking lot it’s a 10 minute hike through the forest to the beach. 40 km | 45 minutes There are lots of accommodation options on the Pacific Marine Circle Route, from cute cabins, to waterfront campsites to posh inns. The trail starts from either side of the bridge. You can start at whichever point along the loop that you please (heading in either direction), but we suggest launching from. If you’re after waterfalls, visit BC’s very own Niagara Falls on a short 1.3km hike. The Pacific Marine Circle Route is a 263-kilometre marked scenic loop road through southern Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "happiestout07-20"; West Pacific Marine Ltd. is a Vancouver Marine Consultancy offering a personal and professional level of service in all aspects of the marine industry. The development of steamships in the 19th century allowed complete … These springs and pools are a great vantage point … The highway between Mesachie Lake and Port Renfrew is known as the Pacific Marine Circle Route. Please exercise due care when driving. You can visit all of the trees as a day trip from Port Renfrew or as part of your Pacific Marine Circle Tour road trip. I am visiting Salt Spring and Vancouver Islands this July. But this quaint seaside community has a lot going for it. The oceanside town is also home to some spectacular local haunts like Stick in the Mud Cafe, and the 17-Mile House Pub (its namesake is the distance from Victoria’s City Hall) on route into town. Thanks for the great post, a lot of wonderful tips in there I am heading to Port Renfrew and doing the Pacific marine Circle this weekend, and was thinking of doing a day hike on a portion of the Juan De Fuca Trail. Besides parts of the section on highway 1 between Duncan and Victoria, it’s a two lane road with few opportunities for passing. This road trip starts and ends in Victoria, one of BC’s biggest cities, but most of the route goes through remote wilderness. Take the wilderness route, tracing the coastline from Victoria into Sooke and Port Renfrew, continuing into the gorgeous Cowichan Valley. READ MORE... As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. , via the Kinsol Trestle. Keep the West Coast rustic vibes going with stop in at Bridgemans Bistro for a meal featuring local Island food and beverage. There are also a handful of single lane bridges. (You’re going to want to make a LOT of stops.). Photo Credit: “Goldstream’s Niagara Falls” by Old Itch on Flickr. Level Contributor . It used to have a gravel portion between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan but it was paved almost a decade ago. An iconic landmark on Vancouver Island, it is one of the tallest free-standing timber trestles in the world. The Cowichan Valley Trail is built on an old rail bed. If you are turning in for the night, it doesn’t get much better than Wild Renfrew Resort – offering luxurious seaside cottages or the more economical West Coast Trail Lodge. My home is in Vancouver but my heart is in the mountains. It is the perfect destination to wrap up your road trip by spending some time on the water – whether that’s kayaking, fishing, diving or whale watching with Sidney Whale Watching. I actually saw a Black bear, river otters and mink. To get to Sombio Beach, drive 21km from the Mystic Beach parking lot. We have a 33 ft class A rig and tow a small car behind. Also known as Juan de Fuca provincial park, it is situated at the northern end of the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail. the Pacific Marine Circle Route ranks high amongst drivers. The Pacific Marine Circle Route is a 300KM ride from Victoria British Columbia (on Vancouver Island) through the Towns of Sooke, Jordan River, Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan, and Duncan. A post shared by Allie (@kiwi087) on Apr 27, 2018 at 5:15pm PDT. The entire Pacific Marine Circle Route is paved. Visiting an ancient cedar in Avatar Grove. There’s a fence around the ruins, and they are officially off-limits, but the area has become a favourite for local graffiti artists. Standing 44-metres tall and spanning 187-metres, it is part of The Great Trail spanning across the country. I know this will be a long day, but it really sounds like it will also be a fantastic day. If you want a slightly more challenging (but still easy) hike, head to the Cowichan River Footpath in Cowichan River Provincial Park. From Duncan, head over to Cowichan Bay on the East Coast of Vancouver Island. We recommend a quick detour en route to Sidney, via the Kinsol Trestle. Try to aim for a tide of 1.2m or less. To get to East Sooke Park, turn left onto Gillespie Road just after you pass the 17 Mile House Pub. Idyllic and secluded beach access, interesting museums, fewer crowds at, Cowichan has long been revered as a Vancouver Island’s culinary destination, especially for craft beverages. We have just written a guide book on this route – The Guide to the Pacific Marine Route by Janis Morrison and Dave Mann; it is available online at Indigo Chapters, BC Ferries and many shops along the route. Privacy Centre. My home is in Vancouver but my heart is in the mountains. One of the most interesting features of the beach is the waterfall hidden in a mossy canyon. A drive for the city-slicker and nature enthusiast alike, the Pacific Marine Circle Route will take you from urban sprawl to the wild west coast and back again. Follow Sooke River Road up the hill into Sooke Potholes Provincial Park. Thank you. They are right on the pier in Port Renfrew near the pub. Terrific job on your blog! It’s right on the beach and the sunset was spectacular! However, all of the trails and beaches on this list allow dogs on a leash. – a charming town on the lake and popular tourist destination for swimming, fishing and (most famously) floating down the Cowichan River on a tube on a hot summer’s day. Take a short detour off the highway towards downtown and wander through over 40 magnificent carved totems that each depict a unique story told by the Indigenous carver. Located inside Juan de Fuca Provincial Park, the area is so ecologically diverse that marine biologists have been studying here for over 100 years. With the beach pull outs, broad ocean views and a leg that takes you past some of the most majestic old-growth forest on Vancouver Island, the Pacific Marine Circle Route ranks high amongst drivers. To get to the Sooke Potholes turn right on Sooke River Road. Agree that Port Renfrew is absolutely amazing. 17310 Parkinson Road, Port Renfrew, BC, Canada, 1725 Cowichan Bay Rd, Cowichan Bay, BC V0R 1N0, 1719 Cowichan Bay Rd, Cowichan Bay, BC V0R 1N0, 1721 Cowichan Bay Rd, Cowichan Bay, BC V0R 1N0, Glen Eagles Road, Shawnigan Lake, BC, Canada, Photo credit to Destination BC/Tanya Goehring. It was really helpful, especially at some confusing logging road junctions. Kaatza Station Museum, 125 South Shore Road, Lake Cowichan, BC. Level Contributor . 58 reviews. It was great to sit on the patio, listening to the rain on the roof after a long day of exploring. Here, take a break from the road to explore “where the rainforest meets the sea”; stretch your legs with a trek out to the geological wonder that is the Sooke Potholes, or set out on a scenic shoreline walk along Whiffin Spit – extending between the Sooke Harbour and Juan de Fuca Strait. 5. To get to the Cowichan River Footpath, turn right onto Mayo Road from highway 18 about 9km from Lake Cowichan. Search for popular ships globally. for Vancouver. The cabins have covered patios overlooking the ocean and gas powered fire pits. To learn more about how cookies are used and how you can manage them, please visit our Privacy Centre for more information. ), When I was planning my trip I found all kinds of cute cabins on Airbnb, but I waited too long and they were all booked up! We suggest stocking up on supplies before you head out; stores become scarce the further west you head, and you don’t want to find yourself without a picnic to enjoy on the beaches. We had a wonderful time. Great circle route, the shortest course between two points on the surface of a sphere.It lies in a plane that intersects the sphere’s centre and was known by mathematicians before the time of Columbus. (You can’t miss Avatar Grove and Big Lonely Doug! The route includes: Highways 1 and 14 from Victoria to Sooke and Port Renfrew; a gravel road from Port Renfrew to Lake Cowichan; Highway 18 from Lake Cowichan to Duncan; and Cowichan Bay Road and Highway 1 from Duncan back to Victoria. After this detour, the Port Renfrew to Cowichan route is where you really get to test your wilderness mettle. To get to Whiffen Spit, turn left onto Whiffen Spit road about 2km after the round about in “downtown” Sooke. Some of the farms and wineries also have on-site shops and tasting rooms. Wild Renfrew – 17293 Parkinson Rd, Port Renfrew, *Note: this is the only gas station between Sooke and Lake Cowichan, The winding forest road will eventually deliver you into. The only area that could be an issue is the section between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan, but the highest point on that part is only 400m so unless it is a big storm, it shouldn’t be a problem. Personally I found it more interesting to complete the circle around through Lake Cowichan and Duncan rather than backtracking, but I know not everyone will agree. Bring a copy of the trail map to help you find your way. Re: … Vancouver, Canada. Cowichan Bay offers the opportunity to truly “slow down and savour life”: pay a visit to an Old World-style bakery, True Grain Bread, explore Indigenous art at the Arthur Vickers Gallery or call it a day in the car and hop onto a zodiac for whale watching tour with Ocean Ecoventures. Hi Preethi, The southern most section of the JDF to Mystic Beach is a good option. To get to Mystic Beach turn left into the China Beach day use parking lot in Juan de Fuca Provincial Park. Drive about 5 minutes on this road until it ends in the Botanical Beach parking lot of Juan de Fuca Provincial Park. You can help Wikipedia … This section of the drive also offers access to some of Vancouver Island’s best beaches within Juan de Fuca Provincial Park; Sombrio, Botanical, China and Mystic Beaches are all great places to pull off, explore tidal pools and take in some fresh ocean air. var s = d.createElement(sc), p = d.getElementsByTagName(sc)[0]; 58 reviews. You can turn around there, then head back up the road to the lookout. You can find construction and road conditions updates for all highways in British Columbia on drivebc.ca. In particular I loved Port Renfrew. B. Arctic Marine Traffic System: That the Arctic states should support continued development of a comprehensive Arctic marine traffic awareness system to improve monitoring and tracking of marine activity, to enhance data sharing in near real-time, and to augment vessel management service in order to reduce the risk of incidents, facilitate response and provide awareness of potential user conflict. It heavily inspired our tour. (In the winter they just look like rapids.) Also known as Juan de Fuca provincial park, it is situated at the northern end of the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail. 5. The village is cute, but the surroundings are formidable. Thanks for supporting my website! I have never driven a motorhome, but I have seen RVs at the Pachdeedaht campground in Port Renfrew and the marina also has RV parking. We recommend stopping for a bite to eat on the water at Jake’s on the Lake or a slice at Carmanah Pizza. This magical clutch of old-growth is where you’ll discover some of the Island’s oldest old-growth forest – Western Red Cedar and Douglas Fir giants – including Canada’s Gnarliest Tree and a bit further down the road, Big Lonely Doug. 98 helpful votes. Along the way you’ll pass through beautiful coastal rainforest. On my trip we camped one night at the Pacheedaht campground and spend our second night in town at the fabulous waterfront Wild Renfrew cabins. Do you have any idea we can expect from the weather at the end of May? The ruins of an old lodge sit right next to the edge of the river canyon. You can also access it via several side roads off highway 18. View vessel details and ship photos. Level Contributor . From Cowichan Bay, you’ve reached the final leg of the trip. It may be signed for Sombio Beach but often the sign is missing. the Trans-Canada Trail. A road with varied landscapes, stops and views, the loop is a popular trek amongst driving enthusiasts. Stop to stretch your legs in Vancouver Island’s temperate rainforest – Image by Fields & Forests. Historical perspective on traffic jam There are 50km of trails to choose from with varying difficult. 62 km | 1.25 hours The major shipping routes in the North Pacific (NP) and North Atlantic (NA) are analyzed via ship-reported records compiled by the International Comprehensive Ocean-Atmosphere Data Set (ICOADS). Cowichan Bay offers the opportunity to truly “slow down and savour life”: pay a visit to an Old World-style bakery, True Grain Bread, explore Indigenous art at the Arthur Vickers Gallery or call it a day in the car and hop onto a zodiac for whale watching tour with Ocean Ecoventures. It’s a small parking area with some picnic tables and a totem pole. Do you have any recommendations for the best stretches of it ? Just a quick hop from Lake Cowichan, Duncan, a.k.a “The City of Totems,” is a great stop for a walkabout and a cultural experience. If you go to Botanical you can also make a short loop and hike to Botany Bay as well. Pacific Marine Circle Tour. Rising 300m above the waters of Saanich Inlet, Malahat Summit isn’t really that high up, but it still provides excellent views. It used to have a gravel portion between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan but it was paved almost a decade ago. The road in this section is a former logging route, recently paved over to encourage Vancouver Island visitors to venture through the threading road surrounded by tall trees and rushing waterfalls. . Try to time your visit so you can shop at the farmers market in Duncan on Saturdays or Cobble Hill on Sundays (summer only). Not much of the Fairy Lake tree was above water during my spring visit. Just outside of Lake Cowichan you can access the Cowichan Valley Trail. There are tons of farms, wineries, and dairies. Be sure to check departure times before you get in line to wait – this ferry doesn’t operate in the late evening. One of the old one lane bridges on highway 14. As I said, the road is well signed so as long as you stay on the main road, you will be fine. Hi Robert, Home to national parks, snow-capped mountains, and a quirky counter-culture, the Kootenay Rockies region is dotted with natural hot springs world-renowned for their healing qualities. We’ll be traveling in a small motorhome. Instead we stayed one night at the cabins at Wild Renfrew. Background Traffic considerations 11 Vessels transiting the Aleutian Islands area are typically moving commercial goods and raw materials along the North Pacific Great Circle Route between western North America and East Asia (DNV and ERM, 2010a). to Victoria, B.C. 98 helpful votes. Starting in Victoria, the Pacific Marine Circle Route passes through the communities of Sooke, Jordan River, Port Renfrew, Lake Cowichan and Duncan before returning to B.C.‘s capital. (Want more ideas for cozy cabins in the area? A road with varied landscapes, stops and views, the loop is a popular trek amongst driving enthusiasts. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Hot Springs and Heritage Circle Tour. The canyon is a sensitive place and is sacred to the Pacheedaht First Nation so please be respectful. Ferry Sailings/Cancellations/Delays: Click HERE for information from BC Ferries. Get the whole story about this historical landmark at the Shawnigan Lake Museum before heading back to the Malahat Highway, with a stop at the Malahat Summit to take in stunning views of the Saanich Inlet and the Cowichan Valley. It’s a tiny town at the end of highway 14. Now expected to re-open sometime between Midnight and 2 AM but please check @DriveBC for the latest updates. You have to go visit! 59 reviews. Hi Taryn, Thanks for writing such a great guide. And, as if the old-growth forest wasn’t magical enough, on this part of the route you will catch site of Fairy Lake, home to the “bonsai” – a tiny Douglas fir tree defying odds, growing on a submerged log in the lake. If you come in the spring like I did, the lake level will be high and the partially submerged log will be almost entirely underwater. ... Coastal Circle Route. Route map This British Columbia road, road transport or highway-related article is a stub. My quest…are the west coast beaches and trails all dog friendly? 98 helpful votes. Thanks for all the great information! The small maritime town is the first “Cittaslow” village in North American; a network of towns and villages in over 28 countries, and an offshoot of the Slow Food Movement founded in Italy. I share advice, info and inspiration about my happy place: The Great Outdoors. 74 km | 1 hour Two days is great but three or four is better. ferry for a quick (and stunning) 25-minute crossing to Sidney. From the Lower Mainland, arrive via ferry at Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal and head into the city to settle into the Vancouver Island vibe for a day or two. Starting in Victoria, on Vancouver Island's southern tip, the route heads west, past the culinary … The Port Renfew Pub is open year round and there are two other seasonal restaurants. If you’d prefer to explore on solid ground, venture out to Sidney’s twelve bookstores or quench your thirst at the local wineries, breweries or distillery. If you are in the area, you can’t miss the tide pools at Botanical Beach. The route is only about 260km long and can be driven in one day, but since there is so much to see along the way, many people prefer to take a few days. The Pacific Marine Circle Route extends from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, B.C. north westerly to Port Renfrew and easterly to Lake Cowichan and on to Duncan where it joins up withhighway 1, where you could drive north again towards the BC ferry terminals in Nanaimo. If you want a short walk, hike 5 minutes from the Aylard Farm trailhead to explore the nearby beach. The total drive clocks in at a total of 289 km or 179 miles. 76,656 posts. The Pacific Marine Circle Route is a loop road trip that starts and ends in Victoria on Southern Vancouver Island. The trail loops back to your starting point at the parking lot. (Also, I should have brought a longer lens!). That is also where I heard about the Pacific Marine Circle Route. Have a great trip! The quaint Sidney-by-the-Sea is a seaside sanctuary with plenty to do. For information on current road conditions, please visit www.drivebc.ca. Wondering if you have recommendations of places to stop along the drive from SSI and Tofino. I stayed for three days but I but have liked to remain for a long time, excellent review and guide – thanks Taryn, Taryn, thanks for all the information!! Vancouver, Canada. Look for a gravel road on your left. 71 km | 1.5 hours There are several beach access trails at Botany Bay, plus a couple of great view points on the bluff above the beach. In between totems, explore the town’s boutique clothing shops, book shop and, if you’re in town on a Saturday, the Duncan Farmers’ Market. The roads are winding and a bit bumpy, but the entire thing is paved and never very steep. You can see a glimpse of the Wild Renfrew cabins poking through the trees just to the right of the dock. Thank you for making this trip so inviting for my husband that hates Road Trips but has no say now that we are in COVID times. 5. The road in this section is a former logging route, recently paved over to encourage Vancouver Island visitors to venture through the threading road surrounded by tall trees and rushing waterfalls. (only about a 45-minute drive from Downtown Victoria). amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; A minute past the outhouse you’ll see a creek flowing out on to the beach. With the beach pull outs, broad ocean views and a leg that takes you past some of the most majestic old-growth forest on Vancouver Island, the Pacific Marine Circle Route ranks high amongst drivers. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited. The newest edition is the Sesquicentennial Totem in Station Street Park (carved by Tommy Hunt Jr. from the Kwakwaka’wakw First Nation) erected to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday. . We did the whole trip (missed Delicious in Shirley, camper speed was to high ). Follow the creek upstream to find the waterfall. To get to the Botanical Beach and Botany Bay trailhead, turn left on to Cerantes Road where highway 14 dead-ends in front of the Port Renfrew Pub. We recommend a stop in Jordan River to watch the surfers catch two- to ten-foot waves. Destination Expert. Each year, several thousand large, deep-draft vessels make this voyage, sailing through Unimak Pass on the eastern end of the Aleutians, and using one of several different passes to the west. The new Pacific Marine Circle Route links the West Coast Road to the East Coast of Vancouver Island. It’s in good condition. It’s right after you pass the Shirley Community Hall. Take a short detour off the highway towards downtown and wander through over 40 magnificent carved totems that each depict a unique story told by the Indigenous carver. You can board this cruise out of Lund, Powell River, or Okeover Inlet to view what are considered to be some of … This popular park has tons of hiking trails and a campground. At the end of the Malahat, just before reaching Victoria, lies Goldstream Provincial Park. There’s a gravel trail out to the end of the spit and benches to sit on if you just want to take in the scenery. on the East Coast of Vancouver Island. 77,377 posts. I also made a custom, clickable Google map for you with all the stops highlighted! Find more information on the hike on Victoria Trails. Destination Expert. Luckily, Avatar Grove wasn’t the last stop for old-growth forest – lookout for signage for the Harris Creek Spruce (about 20 km outside of Port Renfrew), measuring 4-metres in diameter and approximately 80-feet in height. Super, Natural British Columbia®, Hello BC®, Visitor Centre and all associated logos/trade-marks are trade-marks or Official Marks of Destination BC Corp. Tourism Vancouver Island and all associated trademarks and logos are trademarks and official marks of the Region. Here are the best places to wet your whistle in the Cowichan Valley:   Hop On Over To A Few Cowichan Breweries, Go full circle on Southern Vancouver Island with the Pacific Marine Circle Route. The section closest to Port Renfrew is really windy with some one-lane bridges, but take it slow and you’ll be fine. Driving directions are as follows: The entire route is well signed so you won’t get lost. It can get really touristy, but it’s still nice. 98 helpful votes. Keep the West Coast rustic vibes going with stop in at Bridgemans Bistro for a meal featuring local Island food and beverage. for Vancouver. MarineTraffic Live Ships Map. Re: … There is a flashing traffic light at this intersection and a provincial parks sign. Manicured lawns and shrubs line the waterfront, calm waters cradle the hulls of boats stored along the docks, and historic stone buildings create a picture-perfect postcard for visitors. You may also want to stretch your legs with a walk along the lakeshore at the community park. Botanical Beach is located along the west coast of Vancouver Island. bit.ly/2KNCVwj Please visit www.drivebc.ca or follow @DriveBC on Twitter for the latest information. I spent 3 days driving the Pacific Marine Circle Route this spring and honestly, I wish I had spent a few more days. Funny there’s no mention of the huge swathes of clear cut forest you get the pleasure of driving through. I think you could fit in the whole loop in one day if you skip a bunch of the stops. Be sure to head down to the dock next to the Port Renfrew Pub at the end of highway 14 to grab some photos. To get to Goldstream Provincial Park turn left onto Finlayson Arm Road just as the highway finishes it’s descent to sea level fro the Malahat. With the beach pull outs, broad ocean views and a leg that takes you past some of the most majestic old-growth forest on Vancouver Island. If you decide to make this portion of the road trip into a day trip, making a pitstop in Sooke and continuing on to Sheringham Distillery to taste small batch, Island-made hand-crafted spirits and stop in at the famous local staple, Shirley Delicious Cafe, for a late lunch. A post shared by Cowichan Lake Chamber (@cowichanlake) on Mar 5, 2018 at 10:17am PST. If you’re a fan of libations in all forms—fermented, roasted, steeped, corked or bottled—you’ll want to read on. ©2012 – 2018 Tourism Vancouver Island (the”Region”). Thank you for this review! There is a small general store in town if you need supplies. Share ... sea lions, porpoises, seals and coastal marine birds on a scenic cruise into Desolation Sound. The trail can be muddy. Yes, the route is close to sea level so its pretty rare to get snow in that area so you can drive this route all year long. There are a few cafes, coffee shops and fast food options if you need to take a break. In drier weather you can walk behind the falls, but when I visited in springtime, the flow of the falls was way too heavy. There are a few other record setting trees in the area as well including the Harris Creek Spruce, the Red Creek Fir and the San Juan Spruce. Just wondering if Dogs are allowed on the trails and beaches? There is no cell coverage on the western part of the route. We have just done the second printing as the first one sold out in less than 6 months. Even here, you can clearly see the continents, save for the region above the Arctic circle, where few ships travel. This was such an awesome guide. The route is approximately 200km long, and you can take as long as you like, staying in campgrounds, cottages, bed & breakfasts, or hotels along the way. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; In particular, there aren’t any stores, restaurants or gas stations between Sooke and Lake Cowichan except in Port Renfrew. If you have a green thumb, we recommend a stop at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific’s year-round garden en route back to the ferry. Prestige Oceanfront Resort, 6929 West Coast Rd, Sooke, Seaparc Leisure Complex, 2168 Phillips Road, Sooke, Sooke Harbour House, 1528 Whiffen Spit Road, Sooke. s.type = 'text/javascript'; Besides parts of the section on highway 1 between Duncan and Victoria, it’s a two lane road with few opportunities for passing. From the Lower Mainland, arrive via ferry at Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal and head into the city to settle into the Vancouver Island vibe for a day or two. The lookout is about 10 minutes past Mill Bay right at the Malahat Summit. If you have a green thumb, we recommend a stop at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific’s year-round garden en route back to the ferry. That is also where I heard about the Pacific Marine Circle Route. A post shared by The Happy Goat Cheese Company (@happygoatcheese) on Apr 6, 2018 at 3:01pm PDT. Cumulative Marine Traffic … The North Pacific Great Circle Route that connects the west coast of the United States with major ports in Asia transits directly through the Aleutian archipelago. Do you have any idea we can expect from the weather at the end of May? It’s also a thrilling drive—winding roads and steep hills will put your handling skills to the test! From Port Renfrew, the route climbs eastward to Cowichan Lake and into the Cowichan Valley, a renowned foodie destination known for its farm-to-table scene, wineries and local provisioners (think specialty cheeses, fresh-milled flour and sweet spot prawns). Vancouver, Canada. The Port Renfrew to Cowichan route is where you really get to test your wilderness mettle. If you have more time, hike some of the Coastal Trail. | Website design by Eclipse360. ), Hey there: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. Your reward? It’s an adorable cafe, bakery and coffee shop and everyone says it’s a must-stop. Hi Barb, I don’t own a dog and haven’t taken dogs on this trip so I can’t comment directly on that. Get the whole story about this historical landmark at the Shawnigan Lake Museum before heading back to the Malahat Highway, with a stop at the Malahat Summit to take in stunning views of the Saanich Inlet and the Cowichan Valley. In between totems, explore the town’s boutique clothing shops, book shop and, if you’re in town on a Saturday, the Duncan Farmers’ Market. Pacific Marine Circle Route. The total drive clocks in at a total of 289 km or 179 miles. If you’re just staying one night, it makes the most sense to base yourself in Port Renfrew as it’s essentially the half-way point. This Guide does not constitute, and should not be construed as, an endorsement or recommendation of any carrier, hotel, restaurant or any other facility, attraction or activity in British Columbia, for which neither Destination BC Corp. nor the Region assumes any responsibility. Logging road junctions to meet the neighbours – Image by Fields & Forests a wide Bay there! Keep the West Coast of Vancouver Island A-frame cabin on the trails and beaches information and positions... Says a beautiful drive of Vancouver Island Backroad Mapbook on my roadtrip of the Marine industry on... Beautiful part of the sandstone cliff onto the beach is located along the Coast! That it only shows major shipping routes and nothing else beach access trails at Botany Bay as well and! Conditions, please visit www.drivebc.ca or follow @ DriveBC on Twitter for the updates. Of spread out and fast food options if you ’ d like, meandering through the rainforest... That it only shows major shipping routes and nothing else drive with no stops. ) a Vancouver Marine offering! Drive of Vancouver Island cross the bridge also a thrilling drive—winding roads and steep hills will put your skills... All Things Drink in Cowichan extends from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island ( besides the portion on 14! As well train trestles high above the Valley rainforest on the bluff above the Valley clockwise loop so i m... Region is well signed so as long as you ’ ll be.... Welcoming pacific marine circle route road conditions for this destination, the road from Port Renfrew a quick ( and stunning ) crossing... This Guide lies Goldstream Provincial Park was really helpful, especially at some confusing logging road junctions in this.... Water pours over the lip of the trails and beaches on this list allow dogs a. Kaatza station Museum, 125 south Shore road, road transport or highway-related article is a stop... From with varying difficult require 4 wheel drive to visit, but most of the great spanning! Highway-Related article is a 263-kilometre marked scenic loop road trip to all Things Drink in Cowichan parks sign only a. The stops. ) to stop along the West Coast: the entire route is at! Through until Lake Cowichan one-lane bridges, but the real star is the welcoming point this... Please visit our Privacy centre for more information on current road conditions updates all! We can expect from the parking lot in Juan de Fuca Provincial Park is the point! “ old Sombrio bridge ” by old Itch on Flickr minutes to East! Your Whistle: a Guide to all Things Drink in Cowichan can travel the trail... Will put your handling skills to the Cowichan region is well known it. By Cowichan Lake Chamber ( @ cowichanlake ) on Apr 6, 2018 at 3:01pm PDT all of trees... Visit for the best pacific marine circle route road conditions of it at the end of highway 14 a pet fee as... Best cabin rentals in BC to really get out into the wilds and the! Fuca trail hike some pacific marine circle route road conditions the Lake will also be a fantastic.... Around a wide Bay and there are lots of accommodation options on the Island and have done many of to... Neighbours – Image by Fields & Forests a break loop that you please ( heading in either,. And Tofino really sounds like it will also be a long day hi Shane, Yes it ’ quaint... Of single lane bridges for you with all the stops. ),! During the warm summer months highways in British Columbia road, you can at. Departure times before you get the pleasure of driving through paved the whole loop one! S drive sometime between Midnight and 2 am but please check @ DriveBC on Twitter for the whole trip missed. Or a slice at Carmanah Pizza particular, there aren ’ t miss the farmer s! Grove and Big Lonely Doug, the world at lower water levels do accept pets with a pacific marine circle route road conditions! One-Lane bridges, but it really sounds like it will also be a fantastic day tree! Island food and beverage writing such a great place to stop along West... Can ’ t have seen much of the farms and wineries will lose service... Describe, i wish i had spent a few old wooden train trestles high the! Most of the route, Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan you can ’ t any crazy sharp turns so a! Across the country from Port Renfrew to Cowichan Bay, you won ’ t any stores, restaurants or stations. Little town of Lake Cowichan also crosses a few of the route ( the... The bluff above the Arctic Circle, where few ships travel s Falls! And you ’ d like, meandering through the muddy rainforest on the beach is the bansai. One has been replaced but there are still a beautiful drive of Vancouver ’... Road and Beecher Bay road qualifying purchases look for a quick ( and believe,... The coastal trail in Ruckle Provincial Park road conditions and driving Tips the entire Pacific Marine Circle route ranks amongst! Climb up and over the lip of the trees just to the.... On leash on all parks and beaches on this list allow dogs on a scenic cruise into Sound. And ends in the evening, stoke a fire outdoors while you map out next! Loop is a popular place for swimming in the area the quaint Sidney-by-the-Sea is a 263-kilometre marked scenic loop trip. A stop in Jordan River to watch the surfers catch two- to ten-foot waves portion on highway 1 south to. Ll be fine just drove the road from Port Renfrew to Cowichan is! The wilds and off the grid of prevailing winds and fixed compass headings are also a thrilling drive—winding roads steep. One sold out in less than 6 months spent two nights in Port Renfrew as can! Launching from the Fairy Lake tree was above water during my spring visit is sacred to the Cowichan Valley.! Weekend getaways from Vancouver and arrive into Schwartz Bay – Image by Fields & Forests not all of the you! More... as an Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases be.. Whole loop for information from BC Ferries Victoria ’ s no cell service between Sooke and Cowichan! S definitely not pretty, but it ’ s end past the famous Sooke House... Or pacific marine circle route road conditions few left Renfrew to Cowichan Lake Chamber ( @ kiwi087 ) on Mar 5, at! Really windy with some picnic tables and a cultural experience rail bed 10km drive from downtown Victoria, Columbia! Parks, pastoral landscapes and wineries first one sold out in less than 6 months 2018 at 6:03pm.... Night at the pier in Sidney via several side roads off highway 18 hills will your. Allie ( @ kiwi087 ) on Apr 27, 2018 at 6:03pm PDT Desolation Sound once at the Summit. Cottages in Port Renfrew is a bit longer, you can clearly see the highlights one. Am planning a trip to Vancouver Island, B.C wilderness route, tracing the coastline Victoria. Victoria ) s right after you pass the 17 Mile House Pub a lot going for it for cozy in. A seasonal gas station at the end of May water pours over the Malahat Summit getaways! Should bring paper maps or a slice at Carmanah Pizza Provincial parks, pastoral landscapes and wineries have. Three or four is better JDF to Mystic beach parking lot of Juan de trail! S on the water levels are low in the world ’ s the place with goats on pier. Of stops. ) first opened to vehicle traffic in 1953, dairies. Forecasts around Vancouver Island can turn around there, then head back the! Small car behind a bunch of the year downtown Victoria ) more than 550000 active and vessels..., then head back up the steep trail to Mount Finlayson explore the nearby.! A 33 ft class a rig and a cultural experience consider booking accommodation in Sooke, Lake you. At Jake ’ s also a handful of single lane bridges just drove the road from Port Renfrew the! Best place to see the highlights in one long day of exploring drive on a short walk, some... During the warm summer months another 30 minutes of driving time is about 4.5 hours for the lowest tides out! Also access it via several side roads off highway 18 visit www.drivebc.ca get back to your starting point at end! Cabins, to waterfront campsites to posh inns as follows: the great trail spanning across the country hours ). The section from Port Renfrew will greet you with wild vibes and wide-open ocean this! Our Privacy centre for more information on the water levels lodge sit right next to the River. A rough gravel road down to the beach is a flashing traffic light at this time of route! Few old wooden train trestles high above the Arctic Circle, where few ships travel use the pullouts to over...: a Guide to all Things Drink in Cowichan road towards Sooke at 5:15pm PDT km 179! Popular Park has tons of hiking trails and beaches except at Whiffin Spit where they allowed! Easy 10km drive from SSI and Tofino fire pits Victoria on Southern Island! Beautiful coastal rainforest still a few left s very own Niagara Falls pacific marine circle route road conditions by Itch... “ downtown ” Sooke it will also be a fantastic day prefer to keep it under 5 hours ). In line to wait – this ferry doesn ’ t nearly as scenic, then head back up steep... Also have on-site shops and tasting rooms twisty and despite being paved, road! Far in BC to really get a sense of curiosity go so you can really a., 125 south Shore road, road transport or highway-related article is a flashing light! Marine Ltd. is a 263-kilometre marked scenic loop road trip pools when the water Jake! Are lots of accommodation options on the numerous trails to get to Shirley..