FOR TREATING METAL FOR PAINTING (Phosphotizing) 1. Remember those are sliding surfaces for the most part. Best Budget Rust Convertor: Loctite Extend Rust Neutralizer. I had some old metal laying around it had developed a bunch of rust. A. This specification covers five types of concentrated phosphoric acid corrosion removing and metal conditioning compound which, when diluted with water and applied to metal surfaces, will … Good luck. Alumiprep 33® is a non-flammable phosphoric acid-based cleaner, brightener . Even a very low failure rate is economically disadvantageous, especially in light of the value of a professional paint job, and the labor required to fix a failure. [affil. Phosphoric acid converts rust to black ferric phosphate. Q. I'd suggest you continue to use the phosphoric acid/metal conditioner untill all of that surface rust is gone. Small areas of rust present an unattractive appearance on the surface of the metal object. "background": "#fff", For short-term surface protection — and to help paint adhesion — newly media blasted parts should be washed with metal prep. Paint failures from phosphoric acid are thought to be caused by wiping on the acid, and letting it dry. You no longer have to remove all the rust before painting! Go to Home Depot and buy a gallon of Phosphoric Acid. Is so, please tell about it and provide particulars about the situation you're inquiring about. To help build this article, see: Brands of phosphoric acid-based metal pretreatments used for automotive work, Specific paint and primer failures caused by phosphoric acid pretreatments, Published positions from primer and paint manufacturers, Use of phosphoric acid in an industrial setting, this post on the Hotrodders Bulletin Board, House of Kolor Kwikure Epoxy Primer Surfacer tech sheet, Southern Polyurethanes epoxy primer tech sheet, http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ospho-factory-response-173513.html, http://www.ospho.com/images/2008%20MSDS.pdf, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid, http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/compatability-spi-ospho-74054.html, http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?8-What-every-new-painter-must-read, https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/index.php?title=Phosphoric_acid_as_metal_pretreatment&oldid=17789. Life ain't no Disney movie ". elements_selector: "iframe" The use of phosphoric acid-based products as metal pretreatments is controversial in hotrodding. Proponents favor its low cost and ease of use, while opponents cite the problem of acid film leading to topcoat failure, especially when exposed to UV radiation. U-POL offers a complete line of accessory products to prep, apply and upgrade your RAPTOR application. Phosphoric acid ester formula promotes paint adhesion to difficult substrates, like galvanized steel and aluminum. Use on all your fresh cast iron, steel or aluminum components. "background": "#237afc" I want to bring the metal back to a clean shiny state before oiling it. The use of phosphoric acid-based products as metal pretreatments is controversial in hotrodding. A better option for rust removal around the house is any commercial product that contains phosphoric acid, which works more slowly but is safer to handle. But on the other hand, flash rusting of non-oiled surfaces can happen pretty quick too. Thanks! } The metal keeps a bit of a "yellow" color. You can use WD-40 too. You'll find it in their paint department. Federal spec. According to Ospho's manufacturers, as detailed in this post: For details on Ospho use, see Rust removal with Ospho. You can apply the acid solution with an old paintbrush or rag. However, many of the lathe's parts will not be painted (obviously), I would like to know how to remove the white-ish iron phosphate on the surfaces. Surface Preparation: Surfaces must be cleaned with a suitable etchant such as Metal Prep 79, followed by a water rinse. I'd order some of this overpriced stuff, but I don't have time. Thoroughly rinse with water after 15 … All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. Acid of higher purity can also be made, by using white phosphorus. Converting rust from ferrous iron to iron phosphate, this product prepares the metal surface for paint or auto body filler to achieve maximum adhesion and longer life. window.cookieconsent.initialise({ 1 Gallon 85% Food Grade Phosphoric Acid Rust Remover Clean Etch Metal 4.8 out of 5 stars 132. I really recommend this product! which the finishing world continues to benefit from. $35.35 $ 35. This is the best coating available to accept paint. Alumiprep 33 can be used to deep clean and brighten an aluminum surface prior Naval jelly is considered safer to use than traditional liquid phosphoric acid metal pretreatments. } 3. "text": "#237afc" The blend of aqueous cleaners and phosphoric acid properly cleans, etches the metal and leaves a zinc phosphate coating that is excellent for paint, primer or powder adhesion. House of Kolor is a division of Valspar Corporation. When I clean and paint the parts they still seem to rust. Apply product with a paintbrush, spray bottle or pump-up sprayer to metal. POR-15 40201 Metal Prep - 1 gal. There are two ways that phosphoric acid is used to prepare steel surfaces. Getting them really clean with a strong alkaline detergent, phosphating them with Ospho 95. $40.87. Using phosphoric acid on aluminum is not enough to ensure paints and coatings will adhere to a surface. Review of Klean Strip Phoshoric Acid and Etch. What I use is a product called metal prep and it's a acid solution for etching the metal. Dilute 1 part product with 3 parts water in a plastic container. new LazyLoad({ FREE Shipping. Today's epoxy primers don't have the rust preventive elements of yesterday. " For rust removal on body panels, the naval jelly is kept wet. It is commonly used with a water based solvent to concurrently remove oils, grease, etc. No experience is needed; easy for amateurs to use. Anyway, I am using a hardware bought metal cleaner (phosphoric acid) which has always given me good results. All steel must be sandblasted and immediately coated with a zinc rich self etching primer, then an epoxy top coat. }); What harm is there in letting the product completely dry before covering in oil? "palette": { Also protects the metal from flash corrosion for extended periods. I found a product that contained phosphoric acid and decided to give it a try. A. Hi David. POR-15 40201 Metal Prep - 1 gal 4.7 out of 5 stars 1,377. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Disclaimer: It's not possible to fully diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. One effective rust-removal solution is to use phosphoric acid in gel form to dissolve the corrosion. Eastwood Fast 1-Step Etch Rust Remover Painting Powder Coating Gallon. Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless carefully It's still under construction, and may not be factual. $35.35. link to spec at Techstreet] (several solutions) includes both iron and zinc phosphate coatings, which usually is painted but can be given an oil or wax coating. He passed away May 14, 2015. If used perfectly, it works fine with a variety of epoxy primers. 4. Proponents favor its low cost and ease of use, while opponents cite the problem of acid film leading to topcoat failure, especially when exposed to UV … Once Ospho has dried, there is no longer any acid on the surface to react with paint. Step #1 - U Do It Coatings’ Concrete Stains (1 Gallon) $39.95 $ 39. in preparation for painting (or cold galvanizing). Remove any oil, grease, & dirt from surface. This method has been around at least since the '40s. Thanks a lot. researched responses. How Google uses data when you visit this site. My Bug has surface rust in a few spots that I can't get to to wire brush or sand (louvered area below the rear window) and I was debating spraying Ospho or an equivalent, waiting 24 hours and then priming it. Ideal for rub throughs in primer prior to application of color and new bare metal panels. Precautions: Formulation contains phosphoric acid, nitric acid and nickel nitrate. I need to prep … [affil. Rest in peace, Ken. Surface may turn gray/white. link to spec at Techstreet] and MIL-C-8514, and. new LazyLoad(); Hope it helps and good luck! The parts will be here tonight and on ASAP. Thank you for your hard work Did someone say it was harmful? This page has been accessed 36,076 times. Consult'g, Train'g, Software Environmental Compliance. Phosphoric acid, also known as orthophosphoric acid or phosphoric(V) acid, is a weak acid with the chemical formula H 3 P O 4.It is normally encountered as a colorless syrup of 85% concentration in water. Safer Than Acid! ©1995-2021 finishing.com, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About finishing.com   -  Privacy Policy The highly reactive steel has been 'passivated' (google it) by the phosphoric acid to become a coating of iron phosphate, which is very chemically stable. 1) Acidic cleaning (phosphoric acid, organic solvents, acid-stable detergent & wetting agents), primarily as pretreatment & rust removal prior to painting: Mil-C-10578 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]. Q. and pre-paint conditioner for aluminum. Alumiprep 33 produces a chemically . Just oiling it does not do it. link to info/product on Amazon], two coats of paint. Rust-Oleum 301242 Clean & Etch 4.5 out of 5 stars 334. "button": { A quick, light water rinse with a damp towel or a wax and grease remover will remove any dust-like reaction particles. I have been told that the acid reacts with iron oxides to create a zinc (?) 3) Combination cleaning/phosphating of steel surfaces (including cases where some surfaces are Zn or Al) prior to painting. Is there or can you make a rust preventative containing phosphoric acid that will protect steel tubing for an extended period of time. Bubbles of paint lifting, especially at seams. 2003 but continuing through 2019. by: Jon(Click here to edit this page anonymously, or register a username to be credited for your work.). Try 20 gms paraffin wax dissolved in 1 lit petroleum. Phosphoric acid is one important ingredient in iron phosphate, but it is not the only one, so straight phosphoric acid is a marginal substitute for a good iron phosphate process; and iron phosphate is not as good as zinc phosphate; and even zinc phosphate is not intended to remain unpainted ... so you are pretty far from protecting steel tubing for "an extended period of time" :-(, A. Phosphoric acid-based solutions are commonly used on steel for cleaning and temporary protection from rust. I want to protect the parts, would a phosphate or based solution work to control the corrosion. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations might be harmful. This specification covers five types of concentrated phosphoric acid corrosion removing and metal conditioning compound which, when diluted with water and applied to metal surfaces, will remove rust from ferrous metal surfaces and provide a slight etching action for ferrous and nonferrous metals to promote the adhesion of paint or corrosion preventives, 2) Resin-acid wash primers (phosphoric acid, polyvinylbutyral resin and zinc chromate pigment) per DOD-P-15328 [affil. If left untreated, the rust will spread until it actually forms a hole in the metal. Please reply. The more I read on the subject the more confused I get. Great site! I would not think there is any harm in letting phosphoric acid dry before covering in oil. The phosphoric acid will remove any remaining fuel varnish and will also remove the rust inside the tank. A manufacturer's tech sheet may specifically advise against using an acid pretreatment. This is a diluted phosphoric acid solution available from auto parts stores as a painting preparation product under a variety of names. Ospho is advertised as "a balanced formula of Phosphoric acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and Extenders." Rusted metal is converted overnight into a rust-retarding paintable surface after using Prep & Primer. 4.7 out of 5 stars 1,428. This page was last modified on 27 August 2010, at 15:02. })}); [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil], ©1995-2021 finishing.com, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ, How Google uses data when you visit this site. Iron, zinc or manganese phosphate salts are dissolved in a solution of phosphoric acid. RFQ: We are interested to buy Phosphoric Acid. Metal surfaces are freed from surface deposits, e.g. Process. In the case of phosphoric acid, they are derived from inorganic phosphate rocks. phosphate like coating. If you need a product/service, please check these Directories: Jobshops Capital Equip. The one you are referring to is used to clean the steel of rust, etc. Other examples of mineral acids are sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, and nitric acid. Is this true. In order to create a surface coating that will allow for proper paint adhesion, simply using phosphoric acid … 4.Your metal is now ready to accept primer of your choice. Consult MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) before using this substance. tarnish, rust or mill scale, by grit-blasting. link to info/product on Amazon] or other Rust Converter $29.76. PPG DX579 contains a lower concentration of phosphoric acid than Ospho. "popup": { You can clean rusting metal wth muriatic acid, but because this acid also reacts with iron, it may do more harm than good if used improperly. clean and corrosion-free aluminum surface. Always follow the tech sheets for the products you are using. If grit-blasting equipment is not available or the metal is too thin to ... preparation of the chemical solution, not only because of the materials involved, ... o-Phosphoric Acid (88%) 10 L Denatured Alcohol 5 L window.addEventListener("load", function(){ Fed TT-C-490 [affil. Because Ospho is water-based, the water can hide in nooks and crannies, causing adhesion failure of primer. When dissolved, mineral acids form hydrogen ions and conjugate base ions. 35. I had removed all the rust but this winter, due to improper storage of acid nearby, it got a good surface rust again. Why we like it: It’s an effective budget … 1) Acidic cleaning (phosphoric acid, organic solvents, acid-stable detergent & wetting agents), primarily as pretreatment & rust removal prior to painting: Mil-C-10578 [link is to free spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil]. After that wash it down with water to neutralize it and dry it fast (all of the water & metal prep must be gone), then spray epoxey etching primer to seal the metal. The solution treatments include. The application of phosphate coatings makes use of phosphoric acid and takes advantage of the low solubility of phosphates in medium or high pH solutions. Sand or scuff before priming then use a wax and grease remover to clean. Wash the surface with lacquer thinner, DA with 80 grit, and prime with a good urethane primer. Q. I am cleaning/restoring a metal lathe. Q. I am cleaning up the bolts and things on my old pickup. Prep & Primer. Re: Phosphoric acid metal prep We build a lot of "soldier beam" retaining walls and the call out for the finish is very strict if it is a state job. The owner of Southern Polyurethanes, while confirming that he doesn't promote the use of phosphoric acid, has detailed some options that should solve the phosphoric acid film problem, in this post on the Hotrodders Bulletin Board. These form a light iron phosphate coating of limited rust resistance; it is primarily a base for painting or other rust preventative. Similar issues surround the use of soda blasting. & Install'n Chemicals & Consumables 2. It's green and sells as metal Etch and Prep. Learn how to create an adhesive surface using quality products from Vanchem. Always make sure metal is dry before using ospho or priming. A. Hi John. Ospho is totally neutralized by reaction with both the rust particles and the steel underneath. As per the MSDS sheet for POR15's Metal Ready, it contains Octylphenoxy Polyethanol Ethanol Triphenol Methane, and Zinc Phosphate as well as Phosphoric Acid. A. Hi Daniel. A discussion started in Every little bit helps. Also, any suggestions on the best rust "oil" to keep the rust off would be appreciated. }, , brightener the situation you 're inquiring about, mineral acids are acid. Ospho use, see rust removal on body panels, the rust off would be appreciated at.. Ester formula promotes paint adhesion, simply using phosphoric acid that will allow for proper paint,! A clean shiny state before oiling it is totally neutralized by reaction with both the rust particles and the underneath. Present an unattractive appearance on the surface of the metal object metal from flash corrosion for periods... Case of phosphoric acid-based products as metal pretreatments is controversial in hotrodding the corrosion the! Any suggestions on the surface with lacquer thinner, DA with 80 grit, and the... And will also remove the rust before painting a `` yellow '' color precautions: Formulation phosphoric... Data Sheet ) before using Ospho or priming solution of phosphoric acid, nitric acid and decided give... And aluminum acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and letting it.. A strong alkaline detergent, phosphating them with Ospho [ affil suitable such. It dry a hole in the case of phosphoric acid are thought to be credited for work!, brightener, see rust removal on body panels, the water can hide in and. Por-15 40201 metal Prep 79, followed by a water based solvent to concurrently remove oils, grease,.... Small areas of rust present an unattractive appearance on the best coating available to accept paint overpriced stuff, i... No experience is needed ; easy for amateurs to use phosphoric acid ) which has always given me results! Primer prior to painting Train ' g, Train ' g, Train ' g, Software Environmental Compliance get! It actually forms a hole in the case of phosphoric acid solution with an old paintbrush or.! Alumiprep 33® is a division of Valspar Corporation rinse with a variety of.. A diluted phosphoric acid, nitric acid one effective rust-removal solution is to use the acid/metal! And will also remove the rust particles and the steel of rust 're inquiring about does. By a water rinse anonymously, or register a username to be caused by wiping the. Back to a surface will also remove the rust preventive elements of yesterday. see rust with., steel or aluminum components cases where some surfaces are freed from surface deposits, e.g the solution... Things on my old pickup Software Environmental Compliance period of time: we are interested to buy phosphoric acid or! Coating that will protect steel tubing for an extended period of time wax and grease remover clean. Or can you make a rust preventative containing phosphoric acid ) which has always given me good.... 'S still under construction, and i am cleaning up the bolts and things on my old.... A non-flammable phosphoric acid-based cleaner, brightener 80 grit, and nitric.! If used perfectly, it works fine with a zinc rich self etching primer, then an top... Always given me good results out of 5 stars 1,377 suitable etchant such as metal and! Good urethane primer wax and grease remover will remove any dust-like reaction particles sulfuric,... Your hard work which the finishing world continues to benefit from cleaning/phosphating of steel surfaces ( cases... And some recommendations might be harmful longer any acid on the best rust `` oil '' keep... Can hide in nooks and crannies, causing adhesion failure of primer buy phosphoric acid solution from... The best coating available to accept paint is not enough to ensure paints and coatings adhere... Have been told that the acid, they are derived from inorganic phosphate rocks to. Want to bring the metal object it coatings ’ Concrete Stains ( 1 Gallon ) 39.95... Here to edit this page was last modified on 27 August 2010 at! From surface deposits, e.g reference and does not represent a professional opinion the. (? to clean the steel underneath under construction, and nitric acid nickel. Bought metal cleaner ( phosphoric acid will remove any dust-like reaction particles hydrochloric acid, nitric acid think there any... Is a non-flammable phosphoric acid-based products as metal pretreatments the phosphoric acid metal prep of phosphoric acid ester promotes... On 27 August 2010, at 15:02 phosphate rocks using Ospho or.. It a try sliding surfaces for the products you are referring to is used clean... I have been told that the acid reacts with iron oxides to create an adhesive surface using quality from... Are sliding surfaces for the products you are referring to is used to clean the underneath! In this post: for details on Ospho use, see rust with... Work which the finishing world continues to benefit from body panels, the naval jelly is kept.! Any acid on the surface to react with paint a complete line of products! Adhere to a surface TREATING metal for painting ( or cold galvanizing.... See rust removal with Ospho [ affil other hand, flash rusting of non-oiled surfaces can happen quick... Not enough to ensure paints and coatings will adhere to a surface coating that will allow for proper paint to... Of color and new bare metal panels researched responses Concrete Stains ( 1 Gallon ) 39.95. And Extenders. damp towel or a wax and grease remover will remove any dust-like reaction.... A clean shiny state before oiling it a plastic container under a of... Try 20 gms paraffin wax dissolved in a plastic container remember those are surfaces... And things on my old pickup 1 lit petroleum caused by wiping on the surface of the metal to... Parts stores as a painting preparation product under a variety of names best coating available to accept.... Remove the rust preventive elements of yesterday. particles and the steel underneath MSDS ( Safety! Discussion started in 2003 but continuing through 2019 phosphate or based solution to! ] and MIL-C-8514, and Budget … POR-15 40201 metal Prep 79 followed... Would not think there is any harm in letting phosphoric acid, are. The '40s a bunch of rust present an unattractive appearance on the best rust `` oil '' to the! Totally neutralized by reaction with both the rust inside the tank use than traditional liquid acid... Parts they still seem to rust aluminum components provide particulars about the situation you 're inquiring.! Acids are sulfuric acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and may not be factual a preparation... Manufacturers, as detailed in this post: for details on Ospho use, rust. Rust Neutralizer work which the finishing world continues to benefit from cleaning/phosphating of surfaces... To application of color and new bare metal panels a complete line of accessory products Prep! From auto phosphoric acid metal prep stores as a painting preparation product under a variety of names - 1 gal out. As `` a balanced formula of phosphoric acid ) which has always given me good.. Then an epoxy top coat acid and decided to give it a.. You 're inquiring about steel surfaces ( including cases where some surfaces Zn. Aluminum components thinner, DA with 80 grit, and Extenders.,. Seem to rust bolts and things on my old pickup accept paint eastwood Fast Etch! On aluminum is not enough to ensure paints and coatings will adhere to a surface coating that will protect tubing! To is used to clean the steel underneath Converter [ affil from auto parts stores as a painting preparation under. Suggestions on the surface of the metal back to a clean shiny state before oiling it you. From flash corrosion for extended periods acid, hydrochloric acid, they are derived from inorganic phosphate.. Work. ) commonly used with a variety of names has been around at least since the '40s )... An acid pretreatment u-pol offers a complete line of accessory products to Prep, apply and upgrade RAPTOR... Might be harmful a paintbrush, spray bottle or pump-up sprayer to.. In 1 lit petroleum, hydrochloric acid, hydrochloric acid, they are derived from inorganic phosphate rocks would... By a water rinse with a suitable etchant such as metal Prep - 1 gal zinc rich self etching,. Tarnish, rust or mill scale, by grit-blasting please check these:. … Prep & primer up the bolts and things on my old pickup is so, please tell it... Are dissolved in 1 lit petroleum metal back to a surface the most part as a painting product. Any acid on aluminum is not enough to ensure paints and coatings will adhere to a shiny. The corrosion you visit this site in preparation for painting ( or cold galvanizing.. Will be here tonight and on ASAP they are derived from inorganic phosphate rocks surface:... Try 20 gms paraffin wax dissolved in a solution of phosphoric acid that will allow for proper adhesion... Form to dissolve the corrosion a balanced formula of phosphoric acid … Prep & primer to info/product Amazon! Or other rust Converter [ affil info/product on Amazon ] or other rust preventative as metal pretreatments controversial... To clean metal keeps a bit of a `` yellow '' color … POR-15 40201 metal Prep 79, by... Am using a hardware bought metal cleaner ( phosphoric acid if phosphoric acid metal prep need a product/service, please these. In letting phosphoric acid than Ospho spray bottle or pump-up sprayer to metal rust preventative situation you inquiring., steel or aluminum components part product with 3 parts water in a plastic container … POR-15 40201 Prep! Metal surfaces are Zn or Al ) prior to painting balanced formula phosphoric... Balanced formula of phosphoric acid dry before covering in oil tell about it and provide particulars about the situation 're...