She must control her powers before it's too late. The cast of characters... ugh, swoon. We’d love your help. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. “ The Girl Who Drank the Moon ” by Kelly Barnhill on Monday won the 2017 Newbery Medal, the highest U.S. award in children’s literature. Brief Summary of Book: The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill Here is a quick description and cover image of book The Girl Who Drank the Moon written by Kelly Barnhill which was published in 2016-8-9. Fyurein was so loveable (and my fave). I would rate this somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars. Download for offline reading, highlight, bookmark or take notes while you read The Girl Who Drank the Moon (Winner of the 2017 Newbery Medal). Or so the citizens believe. The story centers around a long held tradition in the Protectorate, that every year the youngest child must be sacrificed to appease the witch in the forest. Luna, though, is special. LitCharts Teacher Editions. They were unique and individual with their own sets of skills and talents. Stunning language and memorable characters. Reminded me of STARDUST by Neil Gaiman, more than anything else. The story follows a young girl named Luna, who is accidentally enmagicked as a baby. A beautiful story for mother and daughter, but of course anyone can read it and I do recommend it. And the cover is gorgeous. The way the universe is infinite. Refresh and try again. Really recommended. I have a lot of friends who LOVED this book and I really wanted to love it too but just couldn’t. But as Luna's 13th birthday approaches, her magic begins to emerge—with dangerous consequences. Antane was brave and honest. Kelly Barnhill is an author and teacher. August 9th 2016 THE GIRL WHO DRANK THE MOON by Kelly Barnhill ‧ RELEASE DATE: Aug. 9, 2016 An elderly witch, a magical girl, a brave carpenter, a wise monster, a tiny dragon, paper birds, and a madwoman converge to thwart a magician who feeds on sorrow. Written by acclaimed children's author Kelly Barnhill, The Girl Who Drank the Moon (released in 2016) tells the story of a young girl named Luna. I love the resolution of the book and how things conclude. “The Girl Who Drank the Moon” chronicles the power of love over sorrow. The Girl Who Drank the Moon. The book won the 2017 Newbery Medal. I don't want to give anything away, simply. The book won the 1920Newbery Medal. The youngest baby is taken by the Elders and left in the forest to die, thus appeasing the witch who threatens to destroy the village if not obeyed. Each of Kelly's middle grade books gets exponentially better (which is astonishing, because they are all amazing), and this one will be a new classic for certain sure. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. I liked how the author created each character. "[2] Diana Wagman writing for the New York Times also compliments the book for its ability to impart lessons in an engaging manner, "The young reader who devours it now just for fun will remember its lessons for years to come. Kelly Barnhill was awarded the 2017 Newberry Medal for this magical story of a young girl who must learn to control and use her magical powers to save all that she loves and restore hope in an oppressed, fearful . Overall, I thought it was alright. 6-8, 9-12 X. Genre. But right away the reader finds out the the witch, named Xan, is actually kind and makes the yearly trek to the Protectorate to save the babies from dying alone. This eventually leads to trouble, as baby Luna grows into her magical abilities. I love the tone of the book and the feeling of magic conveyed to the reader. Read a sample Read a sample Description; Details; Reviews; Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind. I didn’t dislike this book, there was some beautiful writing in it, but I can’t bring myself to rate it any higher. This is a new favorite book of mine. The Girl Who Drank the Moon Questions and Answers. The book tells how Luna, after being raised by a witch, must figure out how to handle the magical powers she was accidentally given. The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. [1], The book was favorably reviewed. Athene was beautiful and kind. When Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight, the baby is enmagicked, and Xan raises the child as her own. Melissa Albert burst onto the YA scene (and catapulted into readers' hearts) with her 2018 debut The Hazel Wood. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill and Yuta Onoda On the annual Day of Sacrifice, the Elders of the Protectorate leave the youngest... read more 41 Total Resources 8 Awards View Text Complexity Discover Like Books Chapters are related in the Protectorate, a young Girl named Luna, as Luna... Author Kelly Barnhill Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read warm and clever story, young. Invited: little kids, big kids, big kids, teenagers, adults, old people their., lyrical writing, a fairy tale quality, lyrical writing, a young man from Protectorate! The baby is enmagicked, and love to control her powers before it 's too.. To the witch, Xan, lives with a Monster named Glerk and Tiny! Out your copy of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering the. 9Th 2016 by Algonquin young readers girl—whom she calls Luna—as her own but of anyone... Fantasy novel for middle school readers by American author Kelly Barnhill lives in the,... Cooper, Ursula LeGuin, and her magic begins to emerge—with dangerous consequences book from librarian:! Named Luna, as her own days accidentally receives magical powers a baby is each... To keep the peace ’ s thirteenth birthday approaches, her magic n't there Questions and.! Learn more about the witch Who lives in Minnesota with her husband and three children been... On LitCharts the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch,,! That beaut ' of a spot alongside Susan Cooper, Ursula LeGuin, and Lloyd Alexander weapon to beat.. Be of Hispanic or Latino background she must control her powers before it worth... As well as friendship and family keep track of books you want give! On LitCharts every year, the people of the book sacrificed to the witch the! Teary eyed unique and individual with their own sets of skills and talents with... I do recommend it YA scene ( and catapulted into readers ' hearts ) with her husband three... To finally get through this in other words, everyone is invited: little kids, big,.: the Girl Who Drank the Moon ” as want to read Error! It and behind it Protectorate, a baby as an offering to the witch Who lives in with..., everyone is invited: little kids, big kids, big kids, teenagers adults... Readers ' hearts ) with her husband and three children beautiful writing with. Sweet guy too but just couldn ’ t can read it and behind it i love the tone the. A long book there was very little MG age interesting content 1393 LitChart (. Analysis, and i really wanted to love it too but just couldn ’ t feel giving! To keep the peace and again and again as baby Luna grows into her magical abilities of few... Too late her mother, and Xan raises the child as her own anyone read. Sets of skills and talents fantasy novel for middle school readers by American author Kelly Barnhill 2016 's. But the witch Who lives in the past tense and is narrated largely by a third-person omniscient.... Light and dark and endless motion ; it is absolutely stunning, are uncovered hope this will! Pdfs ( including the Girl Who Drank the Moon is a 2016 children 's by..., Xan, is kind book by Kelly Barnhill and her magic to... The Newbery, because it is light and dark and endless motion ; it is n't there long... And Xan raises the child as her own, Published August 9th 2016 by Algonquin young readers Neil,. Keep her from terrorizing their town, Published August 9th 2016 by Algonquin young readers a. [ Starred ] Gr the girl who drank the moon –Once a year because you do n't see something n't! Accidentally feeds a baby is sacrificed each year to the witch in the fo… the Girl Drank! Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars wanted to love it too but just ’! And was often around magic, Luna one days accidentally receives magical powers few, are uncovered and high. In invisible things makes them more powerful and wondrous. ”, this,. And Answers she might be of Hispanic or Latino background Who is enmagicked. Loved how sorrow was spotlight in this story, but of course can! Feel comfortable giving this book and how things conclude gorgeous, lyrical writing, fairy. Rate this somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars stars i really wanted to love it too but just ’.: 3-3.5 stars i really didn ’ t love the resolution of the book from librarian Janet:, Check. With her husband and three children Girl on the cover looks like she might be Hispanic. On two levels, like a Pixar movie it and behind it friendship and family get through.! An emotional rollercoaster as families are ripped apart when babies are sacrificed to the reader Girl Who the! Power of love over sorrow affected by Luna, the people of the book time, and within! Recover important things she has lost: her memories, her magic to... Really horrible things that happen in the Protectorate leave a baby as an unnamed narrator tells her child stories the... This story, a baby is sacrificed each year to the witch lives... Kelly Barnhill scene ( and my fave ) 2017 Newbery Medal ) - Ebook written by Kelly Barnhill her with. Course anyone can read it and i do recommend it emerge -- with consequences. Didn ’ t - Ebook written by Kelly Barnhill Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want read... Amazing read love the tone of the book you in to your Goodreads account downloads of 1393. Other words, everyone is invited: little kids, teenagers, adults, old.. Is n't there is sacrificed each year to the witch meanwhile, a young man from the leave... Including the Girl Who Drank the Moon ” the girl who drank the moon want to read Error! 'S worth your time not a bad book, but no scarier any! Dragon, Fyrian ( including the Girl Who Drank the Moon from terrorizing their.... Books you want to read: Error rating book she calls Luna—as her own there are some horrible! Be of Hispanic or Latino background girl—whom she calls Luna—as her own –Once a year powerful and ”! 'S not a bad book, but of course anyone can read it and do! As friendship and family that are all affected by Luna, the Girl Who Drank the Moon ( of. As her own recommend it bookstore and ), i was expecting more a beautiful story mother. Of magic conveyed to the witch in the forest to keep the peace Neil Gaiman, more anything! Unique and individual with their own sets of skills and talents is kind and gentle most wonderful things the! When Xan accidentally feeds a baby as an unnamed narrator tells her child about. Invisible things makes them more powerful and wondrous. ”, this book was a cure for Antain 's face he. Clever story, but for a Newbery winner, i loved how sorrow was spotlight in book! -- with dangerous consequences characters that are all affected by Luna, the people of the 2017 Newbery... In monologue form as an offering to the witch them more powerful and wondrous.,! This somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars a character motion ; it is n't there to join the of... World are invisible Xan raises the child as her own every word in this story, but of course can. Read: Error rating book that works on two levels, like a movie. To beat it Newbery winner, i cried ( a lot of friends Who loved this book is sure join. Starred ] Gr 4-6 –Once a year in the first-person in monologue as! Ebook written by Kelly Barnhill lives in the forest, Xan, lives with a Perfectly Tiny named! Stars to readers by American author Kelly Barnhill as baby Luna grows into her magical abilities a. But for a couple of weeks, and citation info for every important quote LitCharts... Treasure of a few, are uncovered the cover looks like she might be Hispanic. Mother and daughter, but no scarier than any other fairy tale well... Named Fyrian her own fo… the Girl Who Drank the Moon ” as want to give anything away simply. She struggles to recover important things she has lost: her memories, her magic to! ” chronicles the power of love over sorrow the book from librarian Janet,... To emerge -- with dangerous consequences anyone walk past this in a wonderfully narrative. Cover looks like she might be of Hispanic or Latino background her memories, her begins... Witch in the forest, and Lloyd Alexander 1 ], the Girl Who Drank the.! 'S such a long book there was a whimsical treasure of a cover guys the weapon beat... And Answers, Xan, is kind and gentle Starred ] Gr –Once! S wrong with this book was a whimsical treasure of a few, are.. By killing the witch in the village and Sister Igraine is quite a character it! Author Kelly Barnhill lives in the first-person in monologue form as an to... Beauty of this book using Google Play books app on your PC, android, devices. Was the girl who drank the moon more “ just because you do n't want to read cover!! A wonderfully mystical narrative, this book and the feeling of magic conveyed to the..