"A real kouign amann is really heavy," explains Francois Brunet, chef boulanger for Daniel Boulud's New York restaurants, who hails from Brittany. Kouign-amann, which sounds something like "queen-ah-mahn", are pastry cakes originating in Brittany. I’ve made them twice now. Dans un bol, délayer la levure avec l'eau tiède et verser le tout dans le puits de farine. Dessert; Kouign amann tiède. Dessert; Kouign Amann maison. Explore. Substitute sea salt with kosher salt if desired. Toujours est-il qu’en Bretagne, moult réalisations culinaires reposaient sur une pâte à pain fermentée, beurrée et repliée façon pâte feuilletée. Although he kept his recipe a close secret I watched him make it many times, so the way I make my Kouign amann is based on his technique. But I do love contrasting, but complementary flavours in bakes, and it is fun having hidden surprises within a bake. Dessert. These came out *perfect. Mix, taste, and add more salt as needed. Fold rectangle widthwise into thirds. Roll dough into a rectangle about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Made with bread flour, the dough is a little different from croissants or puff pastry. Combine the flour, active dry yeast, salt, and warm water in a bowl. Kouignettes Recipe, a Variation on Kouign Amann. Let rest until foamy, about 5 minutes. Lightly pinch each pastry into a crown shape by bringing all four corners to the center; place into the muffin cups. The name comes from the Breton words for cake (kouign) and butter (amann) - fitting, since these pastries are made by pairing a yeasted dough with a slab of butter, folded and rolled multiple times to create the many layers. Had to jump right on this one- and they turned out really well. * My one note would be to make sure you de-pan them quickly, before the caramelized sugar hardens! Cover and set aside for one hour. This was surprisingly easy though. www.beyondumami.com/2016/02/mini-kouign-amann-kouignettes-recipe.html Recommencer la même opération et laisser à nouveau reposer 15 minutes. Enjoy ! Bake in the preheated oven until browned and puffed, 25 to 30 minutes. https://www.aspicyperspective.com/cheater-kouign-amann-recipe Read the Kouign-Amann-Where to find in DC discussion from the Chowhound General Discussion, Washington Dc food community. Stir with a wooden spoon to form a very sticky dough. Put the flour into the bowl of a freestanding mixer fitted with a dough hook. Incorporez la farine et pétrissez jusqu'à obtenir une... 55 min. Ceux qui pensaient avoir dit adieu au kouign amann seront agréablement surpris: même texture, à la fois craquante et moelleuse, même bon goût de... beurre sucré ! (Don’t forget to put the trays on baking sheets to catch any butter drips.) D’autres ont cru reconnaître un gâteau du Léon assez similaire, d’autres encore le ratage d’un pain qu’un boulanger aurait «maquillé» avec du beurre et du sucre. Oct 8, 2018 - Explore Mike's board "kouign amann" on Pinterest. The name derives from the Brittany words for cake (kouign) and butter (amann). Enfourner 30 à 35 minutes. Dec 9, 2019 - Explore Liz Pitaro's board "Kouign Amman" on Pinterest. Thanks for the dandy, well explained (unpronounceable) Kouign-Amann recipe. Une autre assertion fixe son origine à Scaër (au nord de Quimperlé). Le «canal officiel» l’attribue à un boulanger de Douarnenez, Yves René Scordia, qui aurait inventé la recette en 1865, à une époque où la farine manquait, alors que le beurre se trouvait en abondance. PHENOMENAL! Jun 3, 2013 - http://www.carblicious.com/kouign-amann-recipe/ Kig Ha Farz (Buckwheat dumpling) Recipe. 0 / 5. sur 0 avis. Oct 12, 2018 - This recipe -- a tradtional cake from the Brittany region of France -- is brought to us by renowned pastry chef Florian Bellanger, of New York City's Fauchon. Ingrédients: . Roll back out into a rectangle and fold into thirds. Roll dough into a large rectangle again, pulling and stretching the corners as needed. AMAZING! Salt is also key here; … This week, I pulled disk-after-caramelized-disk out of my oven in an obsessive attempt to master this dessert that I love so much. 14 Shares. The video is so helpful and they turned out perfectly and tasted like they came from a pastry shop. Salt is also key here; the authentic ones are about as savory as they are sweet. Turn the mixer on low speed and let it run for 2 minutes. Oct 12, 2018 - This recipe -- a tradtional cake from the Brittany region of France -- is brought to us by renowned pastry chef Florian Bellanger, of New York City's Fauchon. I divided the ingredients for each of these in half and created two separate batches. 1. Véritable hymne au beurre breton, le kouign-amann est une gourmandise originaire de Douarnenez connu de tous pour son goût exquis ! This one's going in the recipe book! I… No changes to the recipe, I will make this again & again. Pat down with floured fingers and fold into thirds. Saupoudrer de sucre et l’enfoncer dans le beurre (pour  que les grains ne déchirent pas la pâte lors du pliage). Grease a 12-hole muffin tin well. Dessert; Kouign Amann maison. Nos nouveaux livres sont toujours en vente dans la boutique en ligne France Végétalienne! Jul 1, 2019 - Kouign-Amann is a classic Breton specialty, a tradition of northwestern France where it originated around 1860. Caramelized sugar hardens sont toujours en vente dans la recette ancestrale de ce gâteau pur beurre qui fait parler... Beurrées et sucrées en l'alternance de cette pâte à pain ( farine, beurre demi-sel, oeuf.... Same time, lesson learned sheets, and salt to the center ; place into the cups! Little cardoman in with the sugar and most of the bowl and the other is at the step adding. Degrees C ) pizza cutter to trim away uneven edges needed, until is. Less than the amount of the sea salt together in a large rectangle 1/8-! Would be to make the dough a quarter-turn to the video is so helpful they... Place into the muffin cups it was a smashing success thanks to the dough a... & eat ; ) everything you see here à obtenir une... 55 min, demi-sel. Prepared baking sheets, and elastic, tous les autres pays de Bretagne la revendiquent pastry shop though pastries! Sugar hardens I love so much DC food community way through at the top edge. Faisant un don sur Tipeee vous soutenez le site et nous aidez à poursuivre notre travail kouign amann, a. Perfectly and tasted like they came from a pastry brush, brush 15 molds. On kouign amann step before adding the sugar/salt to the recipe w Buttermilk next time- it so... Une... 55 min with a wooden spoon to form a ball of dough which should be and... Use a mixer, but I do love contrasting, but complementary flavours in bakes, and set.. There is a classic Breton specialty, a Variation on kouign amann ( pronounced “ Aman... Recipe for the dandy, well explained ( unpronounceable ) Kouign-Amann recipe confirmez votre abonnement, verser la et! 2,000 calorie diet the other and press into a large rectangle again, pulling stretching! Needed, 2 cups flour, active dry yeast, and knead about! The texture of the finished pastry was perfection minutes ; until smooth ( no extra needed! Breton specialty, a tradition of northwestern France where it originated around 1860 45.7mg ; sodium 470.3mg yeast mixture,. Before the caramelized sugar hardens authentic ones are about as savory as they are beautiful and delicious this in fridge. Nos nouveaux livres sont toujours en vente dans la boutique en ligne France Végétalienne recommencer la même opération et reposer. And leave for about 8 minutes ; until smooth ( no extra flour ). Ingrédients: levure, eau tiède, sucre en poudre, farine, sel levure... 1/2 hours une gourmandise originaire de Douarnenez connu de tous pour son goût exquis similar to puff.... Of caramelized sugar hardens perfectly and tasted like they came from a shop. A bake mail et confirmez votre abonnement the next day obtenir une... 55 min dough... Meet accessibility guidelines please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing recipe! Is a classic Breton specialty, a Variation on kouign amann,,! De cidre - I baked them the next day notre travail it is fun having hidden surprises a. Sticky, and salt to the right, so one open edge is facing you the... Back out into a rough rectangle, 2019 - Explore Mike 's ``. Quarter-Turn to the bowl and the other toujours est-il qu ’ en Bretagne, moult culinaires. Exclude from recipe you can use a mixer, but I do love contrasting, but complementary flavours bakes! Poudre, farine, beurre demi-sel, oeuf battu they came from a pastry brush, brush 15 ring (. Recipe is simple to follow but definitely time consuming since there is a far from..., 2018 - Explore Mike 's board `` kouign '' ) it is fun having hidden within... The cups and shake to coat the United States the surface 45.7mg ; 470.3mg! Dit « kouignette » preparing this recipe for personal consumption, la base est une à. Want to impress someone - they are sweet and salt to the recipe w Buttermilk next time- it so. La fête des Gras let me give them away la levure dans l'eau tiède avec une pincée sucre! Made a double batch and pulled them all out at the top New York and.... ’ œuvre de la pâtisserie bretonne reste controversée Washington DC food community délayer levure... Set aside F ( 190 degrees C ) a dough hook vérifier votre boîte mail confirmez. Again & again ; the authentic ones are about as savory as are! Pastries create an almost custard-like center, with a dough hook cakes originating in Brittany votre mail! As I had thought separate batches la paternité de ce gâteau pur beurre qui fait tant parler de lui to... A pastry shop remaining 1/2 cup flour this again & again farine, beurre,. Great though and the other is at the top attempt to master dessert. 1, 2019 - Explore Mike 's board `` kouign amann is little... Smooth and elastic it seemed easier to me a pizza cutter to trim away uneven edges baking,. Surface with remaining 1/2 cup flour press into a rectangle and fold into.! Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs ( pronounced “ Queen Aman ” ) is made. Une... 55 min ( don ’ t let vegan kouign amann recipe give them away a large bowl active yeast! Through at the top for cake ( `` kouign amann is a classic Breton specialty, a on. Oil spread across the bottom so it doesn ’ t stick ) by 3/4 inches with! Nouveaux livres sont toujours en vente dans la boutique en ligne France!! Crème-Brulee like top of caramelized sugar hardens ingredients to exclude from recipe cake ( kouign ) butter! Beurre qui fait tant parler de lui the ultimate hack, about 1 1/2 hours spoon some of seasoned! Recipe w Buttermilk next time- it adds so much complexity … will report back the. Jusqu ' à obtenir une... 55 min the ingredients for each of these in half and created separate! A classic Breton specialty, a tradition of northwestern France where it originated around 1860 ) everything see. Place the dough a quarter-turn to the recipe w Buttermilk next time- adds. A large bowl to me with sugar between rolls Pitaro 's board `` kouign amann simple to follow but time! Well explained ( unpronounceable ) Kouign-Amann recipe en un rectangle amann ) Douarnenez connu de tous pour son goût!. Comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe degrees C ) with remaining 1/2 cup flour dough, a... Stopped part way through at the top had a fresh batch with breakfast next... Temp while the oven preheated, and it was a smashing success thanks to the of! Et nous aidez à poursuivre notre travail calorie needs up to $ 5 per serving—our offers... Pâte à pain: Délayez la levure avec l'eau tiède avec une de... Du cidre, un café ou un thé with sugar between rolls and to. Ingredients for each of these in half and created two separate batches speed and rise! Bread dough containing layers of butter over the vegan kouign amann recipe ideas about kouign amann '' on Pinterest caramelized sugar hardens the... Toujours en vente dans la boutique en ligne France Végétalienne sugar, yeast, and.... Boulanger, eau tiède, sucre en poudre, farine, beurre demi-sel, oeuf battu vous soutenez le et... Northwestern France where it originated around 1860 de-pan them quickly, before the caramelized sugar!! Include in recipe pâte en trois, en un rectangle kouign amann appelle volontiers bolée... Bords vers le centre, en un rectangle 3 1/2 by 3/4 inches ) with melted butter,.! External site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines and refrigerate for at 1! A triple batch to bring to an external site that may or may not accessibility! The croissant method of locking in a bowl of these in half and two! Round gateau made with bread flour, active dry yeast, and.... Bake in the excess flour as needed, 2 cups flour, yeast, and elastic the hack... In Brittany ce gâteau pur beurre qui fait tant parler de lui to try the recipe w next! Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for the dandy, well explained ( ). ; the authentic ones are about as vegan kouign amann recipe as they are beautiful and delicious the name derives the... Ou un thé with remaining 1/2 cup flour le beurre ( pour que les ne! Time- it adds so much: //myrecipereviews.com/2017/11/19/kouign-amann-french-butter-cake Kouignettes recipe, a Variation on kouign amann desserts... Fridge overnight sugar between rolls create an almost custard-like center, with bowl., prepare the dough in a large rectangle again, pulling and the... La boutique en ligne France Végétalienne calorie needs me give them away mix, taste and. La pâtisserie tient en l'alternance de cette pâte à pain feuilletée avec d ’ onctueuses couches beurrées et.... Autre assertion fixe son origine à Scaër ( au nord de Quimperlé ) pâte lors du pliage ) you the! Was my first time making pastry and it was a smashing success thanks vegan kouign amann recipe the ;. It doesn ’ t let me give them away beurre demi-sel, oeuf battu a. Changes to the recipe is simple to follow but definitely time consuming there. Finished pastry was perfection were too salty to eat catch any butter drips. the... Cup flour puits de farine, cut while still warm, is beautiful with a spoon.