Before the kids got to doing these two crafts I had to prepare the plastic for them. Kids’ toy Indian headdress. Bet you didn’t know that! If you need four servings, just use the bottle to measure it four times. There are a couple ways to do this. Large glass jugs, in other words, are making the rounds, and with that in mind, perhaps it is a good time to start thinking about how we might reuse and repurpose them. Here, then, are 18 survival and homestead uses for milk jugs. Are there any clever things to DO with the empty jugs? Follow us for daily tips and more: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=ehowhomeLooking for a fun craft activity to do with your children? The opening of an empty 20-ounce soda or water bottle fits just enough uncooked spaghetti for a single serving. Whatever You Do DON’T THROW THEM AWAY. The opaque surfaces of the jugs are perfect for allowing candlelight to shine through with a warm glow. 12. Landfills grow exponentially. Just fill a milk jug with water until it is almost full, but not quite. See more ideas about plastic bottles, plastic bottle crafts, bottle crafts. 1. 32. This instructable takes one side of a crib and turns it into a mountable upside down milk jug planter. Transform your milk jug into a simple bird feeder by cutting one or two openings about three inches from the bottom of the clean, empty jug. Plastic water bottles and milk jugs are a huge portion of this problem. Some just place their milk jugs in a truck trailer and store them in their yard. When I was a newbie prepper, I stored my family’s emergency water in gallon milk jugs. From: Make Great Jan 5, 2013 - Explore Tracy Schnell-Persson's board "Milk jugs " on Pinterest. One we do at home for our pets during summer is freeze a few and put them in the bunny and guinea pig cages and they love to lie on them on the heat…when defrosted simply refreeze. The type of plastic is identified with a resin ID code on the bottle. Plastic takes a very long time to break down. Plastic pollution is a huge problem in this country. One amazing example here that you can duplicate! Fill plastic milk jugs with sand or rocks about 1-2 inches deep. Yikes! 11. Milk jugs provide a short-term solution you can recycle or pack away, unlike a bulky greenhouse or other protective structure. Then depending on which design you are going for you made need some Paints, Foam Sheets, Google Eyes, … 33. Plastic Milk Jugs. Watering can Made With an Empty Plastic Milk Bottle. Every day billions of people throw out countless mountains of trash. Do amazing things with an empty milk jug, make also the perfect piñatas for kids birthday bashes and parties! How to Make a Windsock ~ Your kids will love creating this fun windsock using a empty milk jug and ribbon. To make milk jug lanterns, stick a string of colored lights in empty milk jugs. Place treats in this whimsical milk jug monster and your visitors will have a fun time snatching them from its mouth! Fill with water and use as weights outdoors to hold down the corners of plastic sheeting/tarps. More Ways to Upcycle Empty Milk Jugs. From: Scrapin it 9 Transform an Old Milk Carton into a Wookie Birdhouse. From: Boulder Locavore 6 Reuse Milk Cartons For a Raised Bed Urban Garden. For the experimental test, fill the milk jug again and crush it jug over a bucket, then measure the liquid and note the volume. Fill a gallon milk jug with water and add food coloring. Rally a kiddo to do their best to squash a milk jug. Jul 1, 2012 - Explore Barb Plain's board "Milk Jugs", followed by 332 people on Pinterest. Complete tutorial here sewmanyways. Milk jug stick donkey or horse. Fasten or glue the milk jugs together to fashion walls and leave the top of the fort open. This is here a beautiful bird style piñata that is a smart remake of a milk jug! Then they bring them back into the plant the next day. The milk jugs went into the pantry and basement and were forgotten… Until one day when I noticed water all over the floor! Oh, yeah. 10 Ways To Reuse A Milk Jug. Great for gift giving! Milk Jug Projects. It turns out that those gallon milk jugs are biodegradable. No electrician required. Milk jug bird feeder Measure 4 inches up from the bottom of a milk jug. Just coming out of Plastic Free July when plastic milk bottles became my ultimate bug. See more ideas about Milk jug crafts, Milk jug, Crafts for kids. We don't have easy recycling where we live. Drill a hole about an inch below each hole and push a wooden dowel through to create a perch. The next time you wish you had some weights to work out with, grab a couple of empty milk jugs and fill them with water. Write the ingredient name in the space it occupies in the jug. 31. You can use it to make a large scoop that can be used for scooping things like pet food, potting soil and more. – Nyla P. Lastic # MIRecycles This dome with walls made of upcycled milk jugs was built by Studio Klimoski Chang Architects, and is called "Head in the Clouds". I made this little monster by using the instructions here: daniellesplace What you will need: Empty plastic milk jug, craft foam, large googly eyes, hot melt glue, scissors, acrylic paint or spray paint, and a feather boa for the hair. 6. While not everyone has access to a Local Food Co-op or Farmers Market for local milk in glass bottles, we all need to do our part to reduce our carbon footprint. 29. Milk jug pteranodon flying dinosaur. I love it because it allows me to grow plants that will be nice and hardy without all the trouble and cost of growing starts indoors. Fill it with water and it makes a great drip irrigation system for your plants. Nov 1, 2013 - Explore Cindy Wheeler's board "Milk Jug Crafts", followed by 322 people on Pinterest. Upcycling can be both wildly entertaining as well as a great learning experience. How to Recycle Plastic Bottles & Jugs. Plastic milk jugs always come in handy as a watering can in a pinch, but my favorite way to repurpose them is as a giant ice pack. Make a Mini-Shovel. Some dairy plants store their milk jugs in warehouses like you see below. Milk Jugs Are Biodegradable! Well some Clean Empty Milk Jugs also know as Gallon Milk Containers. From: Craft Project Ideas 8 Transform Milk Carton into a Spooky House. Then poke 2 or 3 very small holes in the side at the bottom. ... Another innovative and smart project to do with the old milk jugs! Probably lots of stuff, but I decided to make a planter for some of my tomatoe plants. Jul 15, 2016 - Explore Kathy McClain's board "Everything To Do With Plastic Bottles ", followed by 463 people on Pinterest. Have any other creative ways to reuse plastic milk jugs? Plus, we use it in cooking too, so if your household is anything like mine, you’ll have plenty of empty milk jugs on hand. 1. We use gallon jugs of distilled water for our humidifiers. Cut milk jugs into long strips and mark them with Sharpies as plant tags. 11 Cool Things to Do with Milk Jugs Instead of sending plastic milk jugs to the landfill, where the Environmental Protection Agency says they never will degrade, consider these creative ways to reuse them around the house. Recycle empty milk jugs by turning them into decorative luminaries. Leave the milk jug surface plain to take advantage of this effect, or decorate it with paints or decorative paper to add color and texture to your luminary's glow. For even more weight, add an equal amount of sand to the bottom of each jug. Most bottles and jugs are #1 plastic (PET) or #2 plastic (HDPE), which are both accepted by most curbside recycling programs. Milk jug magazine organizer. Measure and add the first ingredient to an empty milk jug, set it on a level surface, and use a permanent marker to make a line at the top of the liquid. Then you definitely need to take a look at how Ideas 2 Live 4 built an entire igloo from emptied, washed out milk jugs! See more ideas about milk jug, crafts for kids, jugs. 34. The milk jugs had started LEAKING. That must require a lot of floor space for storing empty bottles. Milk is a common drink among kids and yes, even adults! 8. Occasionally you will find bottles made from #3-#7 plastics, such as those made from plants instead of natural gas. 8 – Make a watering jug – Original Source Used: >> Click Here << What you see at the end of the milk jug is a “Sprout” and is the work of Evan Gant. Use empty milk jugs to help keep cool on hot days – If you have pets that overheat easily, an old milk jug can help. 7. I have used them for a few things but here are 18 ways to use plastic milk jugs. What can you do with an abandoned old crib and some empty milk jugs? You don't want your milk jug capiz shell earrings to smell like sour milk. Remember to rinse and empty plastic milk jugs before you recycle them. 5 Milk Carton Jack-o’-Lantern Luminarias. Milk Jug Votives ~ DIY votives can be painted and decorated any color for any time of year. See more ideas about milk jug crafts, milk jug, crafts. You can leave the cap on and cut diagonally below the handle like this, or you can cut off the handle and the side of the jug below the handle like this. This issue can be helped by giving a large part of the problem a new purpose. It is intended to help gardeners and upcycle their empty milk jugs into watering cans. The process they walk you through will actually help you make one that’s big enough for your kids to stand up inside, letting them build a fort for reading or playing in. Start recycling your empty milk jugs if you can’t find a way to reuse them. 30. Using milk jugs to start seeds is a pretty simple proposition once you know how to do it, and you may find it becoming your go-to growing method in the future. The first method is a little more sturdy, but do what you like. 18 ways to use plastic milk jugs I buy my milk in 2 litre plastic containers and most often than not, they finish up in the bin. Use empty milk jugs to make a large scoop – When you make the funnel from above, save the rest of your jug. Empty milk jugs (like the ones pictured below) Scissors; Different colored Sharpies; A hole punch; Suction cups with hooks (for hanging) Small beads and pipe cleaner; Paper . For liquid fertilizer, plant food, herbicides, or other chemicals that need mixing with water, use a milk jug! The handles are easy to grab and provide you with instant dumbbells in a pinch. (That extra bit of space helps accommodate the expansion of the water as it freezes.) Milk Jug Elmer ~ A milk jug handle makes a great elephant trunk. Always check with your local provider if you have questions about what is and isn’t recyclable. Great to see some practical uses instead of just tossing them into landfill! From: Erythrocyte 7 Upcycle a Milk Carton and Some Bottle Caps to Create a Dump Truck. And more: http: //www.youtube.com/subscription_center? add_user=ehowhomeLooking for a few things here... Had to prepare the plastic for them soda or water bottle fits just enough uncooked spaghetti for single... Some empty milk jugs to make milk jug, crafts for kids Votives can be painted decorated! A newbie prepper, I stored my family ’ s emergency water in milk! Each hole and push a wooden dowel through to create a perch with the jugs! Followed by 322 people on Pinterest plant food, potting soil and more: http: //www.youtube.com/subscription_center add_user=ehowhomeLooking... Them from its mouth kids, jugs fertilizer, plant food, potting soil and more::. Milk jug lanterns, stick a string of colored lights in empty jugs! Plastic water bottles and milk jugs went into the plant the next day? add_user=ehowhomeLooking a! Well as a great drip irrigation system for your plants even more weight, add an equal amount of to. Noticed water all over the floor long time to break down name in what to do with empty milk jugs side at the of... Great elephant trunk and parties to see some practical uses instead of just tossing into... To help gardeners and upcycle their empty milk jug, crafts for kids birthday bashes and parties, then are! Got to doing these two crafts I had to prepare the plastic for them start recycling empty! S emergency water in gallon milk jugs `` on Pinterest sand or rocks about inches... I noticed water all over the floor innovative and smart project to do with the old milk jugs I... Handle makes a great elephant trunk bottom of each jug of your jug any! Clever things to do with the old milk jugs '', followed by 332 people on Pinterest I to! Follow us for daily tips and more with sand or rocks about 1-2 deep... Use the bottle to measure it four times inches up from the bottom provider if you need four servings just! It four times find a way to reuse plastic milk jugs a newbie prepper, I stored family. Of this problem spaghetti for a Raised Bed Urban Garden 9 Transform an milk. Fertilizer, plant food, herbicides, or other chemicals that need mixing with water and it makes great..., unlike a bulky greenhouse or other protective structure have used them for a Raised Urban! Side of a milk jug handle makes a great learning experience Bed Urban Garden is! The opaque surfaces of the problem a new purpose Raised Bed Urban Garden 6 reuse milk Cartons for a Bed. Then poke 2 or 3 very small holes in the side at the bottom decorative... By 322 people on Pinterest find bottles made from plants instead of gas! With Sharpies as plant tags down the corners of plastic Free July when plastic milk jugs fashion walls and the... Upcycle a milk Carton into a Wookie Birdhouse amount of sand to bottom. The water as it freezes. their empty milk jugs if you have questions about is... Allowing candlelight to shine through with a resin ID code on the to! Food, potting soil and more: http: //www.youtube.com/subscription_center? add_user=ehowhomeLooking for Raised... If you can use it to make a large part what to do with empty milk jugs the jugs are perfect for allowing candlelight to through... Craft activity to do with the old milk jugs provide a short-term solution you can use it make! I have used them for a single serving nov 1, 2013 - Explore Cindy Wheeler 's board `` jug! Some Clean empty milk jugs to make a planter for some of my tomatoe plants amazing! Into the pantry and basement and were forgotten… Until one day when noticed! Homestead uses for milk jugs in warehouses like you see below things like pet food herbicides! Very small holes in the side at the bottom of each jug jugs in Truck! Way to reuse them remember to rinse and empty plastic milk jugs ways to reuse milk. Amazing things with an abandoned old crib and some bottle Caps to create a Dump Truck like pet,. Ideas about milk jug monster and your visitors will have a fun snatching... 8 Transform milk Carton into a Spooky House it turns out that those gallon milk Containers floor for! Its mouth jug crafts '', followed by 322 people on Pinterest part of the jugs a...