The Health Encyclopedia contains general health information. Your scalp may itch as it heals. Blood is pumping from the cut or does not stop or slow down with pressure. Scalp, arm, and leg staples may be removed within 7 to 10 days. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The cut may throb or feel tender, and you may have a headache. You may already know how to wash your hair properly, but did you know you should avoid using a circular motion, and should start lathering at the roots? It was super gross! Wound healing after taking antibiotics. You may be able to see the cut, or it may be covered by your hair. Scalp Cut Closed With Staples or Stitches: Care Instructions, Donald Sproule MDCM, CCFP - Family Medicine, William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine. The doctor used staples or stitches to close the cut. Then, you can start to gently wash around the staple site 1 to 2 times daily. Don't use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, which can slow healing. For example, call if: Call your doctor now or seek immediate medical care if: Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor if: Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Another option is … Apply little hair … Gently wash … Your doctor will tell you when it's safe to get the cut wet. Hence, you have to hydrate it beforehand. But being four days out and because the hydrogen peroxide would temporarily bleach your hair, I think you can easily get away with light manual washing with soap and water. How long you'll be told to wait depends on where the cut is located, how big and how deep the cut is, and what your general health is like. Don't scrub repaired area or … The doctor has checked you carefully, but problems can develop later. The cut starts to bleed a lot. Oozing small amounts of blood is normal. ... You can not get your staples in your head wet, because this could cause your skin to expand and possibly... How Long Can You Keep Staples In Your Head? Be safe with medicines. The cut may throb or feel tender, and you may have a headache. Besides, use hypoallergenic products to wash your scalp and hair after the staple removal. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated. Sebum is the natural oil secreted from the skin. Avoid scrubbing the scalp and instead, do gentle rubs to get it cleaned. You have new pain or your pain gets worse. If the doctor gave you a prescription medicine for pain, take it as prescribed. Do not soak your wound under water. ©2006-2021 Healthwise, Incorporated. It seeks extra care as you can’t … A scalp laceration is a cut on your head. This is more likely if the doctor trimmed or shaved your hair in order to place the staples or stitches. Keep the area completely dry for 24 to 48 hours after staples are placed. A scalp laceration is a cut on your head. Hell, light a candle, and let me share with you my absolute favorite wash day natural hair staples. Please try to keep the area clean and dry and avoid shampoos or hair … This helps the cut heal and reduces scarring. Avoid any activity that could cause your cut to reopen. Wash your hair over a basin or a large bowl with a pitcher/jug or other item to pour water over your hair. Your staples may be placed for 3 to 14 days, depending on the location of your wound. I had to wait for only a week to get removed by a doctor, but because it was bothering me. After removing the staples, you should wash your hair and scalp. Navigation Menu - Opens a Simulated Dialog, Button close - press enter or select to How to wash hair extensions on your head? Favourite answer You should be able to use any type of Shampoo or conditioner about 24 hours after the wound is sutured/stapled. If you are not taking a prescription pain medicine, ask your doctor if you can take an over-the-counter medicine. Excess sebum production can cause scalp and hair issues. If you are experiencing any of the conditions suggested above, you should wash your hair … Read and follow all instructions on the label. I got ten staples in my head, because I got hit with a brick. This is more likely if the doctor trimmed or shaved your hair in order to place the staples or stitches. Can You Wash Your Hair If You Have Staples In Your Head? Call 911 anytime you think you may need emergency care. The cut starts to bleed a lot. Breezy Tee T-shirt Hair Towel Wraps This is the product that started our business, and we’re so grateful women around the world have made our towels a part of their own wash … A scalp laceration is a cut on your head. Wash the hair with warm water … This is to remove blood or dirt. The cut may throb or feel tender, and you may have a headache. Enter X146 in the search box to learn more about "Scalp Cut Closed With Staples or Stitches: Care Instructions". Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated. 2 Answers. This is usually in 7 to 14 days. i got staples in 1.5" gash on top of my head.looks like there is a lot of my hair caught under the staples length wise.is that a problem? Keep the cut dry for the first 24 to 48 hours. Oozing small amounts of blood is normal. Yaaaaaay! vanessa Angel answered . Pat the cut dry. Clean the scalp, wash with mild soap or shampoo, dry thoroughly and apply some antiseptic or antibiotic cream. Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. Keep the cut dry for the first 24 to 48 hours. Increased pain, swelling, warmth, or redness around the cut. Call 911 anytime you think you may need emergency care. The duration really does depend on the type of wound the staples are keeping together. Some doctors do not shave the hair before stapling head wounds, and this is normal. If your doctor told you how to care for your cut, follow your doctor's instructions. Don't soak the cut, such as in a bathtub. Ask your healthcare provider when to return to get your staples removed. Wash with cool water and soap. How to wash hair extensions sewn in (a hair weave)? Your doctor will tell you when to come back to have them removed. Had wound on head after hitting to shower. After this, you can shower if your doctor okays it. Do not remove the staples or stitches on your own. This helps the cut heal and reduces scarring. Can you wash your hair with staples in your head? Avoid any activity that could cause your cut to reopen. Carefully wash around the staples and that will be good for your scalp.Use the baby shampoo like the doctor said so that you will not irritate the wound area. The cut may throb or feel tender, and you may have a headache. This helps the cut heal and reduces scarring. You have tingling, weakness, or numbness near the cut. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor or nurse call line if you are having problems. Staples are often used to close a wound. Apply more petroleum jelly … You may be able to see the cut, or it may be covered by your hair. A scalp laceration is a cut on your head. I got the staples removed from my head!!! Step 1: Moisturize your hair. 4. Whoops, something went wrong with access to our non-public page. Read and follow all instructions on the label. Then, you can start to gently wash around the staple site 1 to 2 times daily. The doctor has checked you carefully, but problems can develop later. Your doctor will tell you when to have your stitches or staples … In the first 2 days, you can carefully rinse your child’s hair with lukewarm water. Washing hair head wound . Answer (1 of 1): You can keep surgical staples in your head for over two weeks, although most surgical staples are removed within 7 to 10 days. This is usually in 7 to 14 days. Don't soak the cut, such as in a bathtub. If your doctor told you how to care for your cut, follow your doctor's instructions. For example, call if: Call your doctor or nurse call line now or seek immediate medical care if: Watch closely for changes in your health, and be sure to contact your doctor or nurse call line if: Go to https://www.healthwise.net/patientEd. My 3 year old had to get staples in her head lastnight and the after care instructions say keep it clean and dry but how can I keep it clean if I … ©2006-2020 Healthwise, Incorporated. After the first 24 to 48 hours, wash around the cut with clean water 2 times a day. Washing hair once a day can help keep it clean and free from grease (sebum). Your doctor will tell you when it's safe to get the cut wet. Your doctor will tell you when to have your stitches or staples removed. You really don't want to wash right now. Please turn on JavaScript and try again. When can you wash your hair after head wound ... it depends on how deep the wound is. Stitches or staples are used to close the wound to heal it fast and to prevent scars. It looks like your browser does not have JavaScript enabled. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Clean as close to the … Some shampoos have chemicals that can actually infect it. You may cover the cut with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline. Use the shower if that is how … This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Increased pain, swelling, warmth, or redness around the cut. It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take. Blood is pumping from the cut or does not stop or slow down with pressure. Stitches all over the body should be taken care of, but stitches in your head are exceptional. Clean as … When cleaning a stapled head wound, therefore, you need to also clean the surrounding hair from any debris and drainage excess. Wash with cool water and soap. Before this 24 if there is a lot of dried blood you can dab it … Pat the cut dry. You have new pain or your pain gets worse. use a shower cap if the wound is on the head ; pat the wound dry if it gets wet – don't rub it ; If the wound is on your head, you should be able to wash your hair after 5 days. You may be able to see the cut, or it may be covered by your hair. If you notice any problems or new symptoms, get medical treatment right away. close menu, William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine. Follow-up care is a key part of your treatment and safety. The doctor used staples or stitches to close the cut. The doctor used staples or stitches to close the cut. You may cover the cut with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, and a non-stick bandage. How long you'll be told to wait depends on where the cut is located, how big and how deep the cut is, and what your general health is like. Do not remove the staples or stitches on your own. RK. ... My husband was recently in a car accident and received 20 staples on top of his head… do i go back Dr. Steven Brown answered 38 years experience Hand … Which means I got to wash my hair after 16 days. Face staples may be removed within 3 to 5 days. Don't use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, which can slow healing. Care instructions adapted under license by your healthcare professional. If you have questions about a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your healthcare professional. Hair extensions tend to become dry out so fast since it does not receive any moisturizing oil from your scalp. © 2021 Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. Kaiser Permanente health plans around the country: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc., in Northern and Southern California and Hawaii • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia, Inc., Nine Piedmont Center, 3495 Piedmont Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30305 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc., in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., 2101 E. Jefferson St., Rockville, MD 20852 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Northwest, 500 NE Multnomah St., Suite 100, Portland, OR 97232 • Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington or Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Options, Inc., 601 Union St., Suite 3100, Seattle, WA 98101. If you did not get instructions, follow this general advice: After the first 24 to 48 hours, wash around the cut with clean water 2 times a day. Jun 9, 2011 @ 12:00 am. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated. Be safe with medicines. If the doctor gave you a prescription medicine for pain, take it as prescribed. Don't wash the wound directly. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDFs. How Long Do You have to wait to wash your Hair when you have staples in the back of your head.. ? Why are surgical staples … It's also a good idea to know your test results and keep a list of the medicines you take. Lastly, be sure to … For recommended treatments, please consult with your health care provider. You have tingling, weakness, or numbness near the cut. Surgical staples need to stay in for a few days or up to 21 days (in some cases) before they can be removed. After this, you can shower if your doctor okays it. Keep the area completely dry for 24 to 48 hours after staples are placed. If you notice any problems or new symptoms, get medical treatment right away. If you are not taking a prescription pain medicine, ask your doctor if you can take an over-the-counter medicine. For a list of covered benefits, please refer to your Evidence of Coverage or Summary Plan Description. Your doctor will tell you when to come back to have them removed. Premium Questions. The doctor used staples or stitches to close the cut. Be sure to make and go to all appointments, and call your doctor if you are having problems. Your scalp may itch as it heals. The advantage of this is that you won’t have to come back to have stitches or staples removed. You may cover the cut with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline. Your healthcare provider will take your staples out as soon as possible to reduce scarring. If you did not get instructions, follow this general advice: After the first 24 to 48 hours, wash around the cut with clean water 2 times a day. Don't use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, which can slow healing. Not all treatments or services described are covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente. Medical Review:Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine. During the first 2 days you may carefully rinse your hair in the shower to remove blood and glass or dirt particles. Joint, palm, and feet staples … Enter X146 in the search box to learn more about "Scalp Cut Closed With Staples or Stitches: Care Instructions". Use mild products to rinse the hair and scalp while staples are still on … If the staples … Hair in the wound region falling. I only removed 3 staples. You can also use a bath with a container to pour water over your head. Your doctor will tell you when to have your stitches or staples removed. This helps the cut heal and reduces scarring. After 2 days you may shower and shampoo your hair normally. Sometimes, I use your own hair strands twisted and glued to bring the edges of a scalp laceration together. You may be able to see the cut, or it may be covered by your hair. Things to avoid during the first 5 … How long your staples must stay in place depends largely on where they’re … After 2 days, you can shampoo your child’s hair normally. Medical Review:Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine & Donald Sproule MDCM, CCFP - Family Medicine & Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & William H. Blahd Jr. MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine. Your doctor will tell you when to have your stitches or staples … DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS: Care for your wound: Clean: You may be able to shower in 24 hours. Wound: clean: you may have a headache hair normally your scalp head, because I got to hair. With pressure symptoms, get medical treatment right away please consult with your health care provider staple site 1 2.: you may need emergency care tingling, weakness, or numbness the! Doctors do not remove the staples or stitches: care instructions '' of this does! Arm, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and this more. Of covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente may be covered by your hair weakness, or it may covered... 'S safe to get removed by a doctor, but problems can develop later close a wound around the,. Take an over-the-counter medicine, such as in a bathtub after this, you should wash your.! Of the medicines you take questions about a medical condition or this instruction, ask... And this is more likely if the doctor used staples or stitches to close cut... Cover the cut to gently wash around the staple site 1 to 2 times daily issues... Shampoos or hair … how to wash my hair after 16 days also a. Call line if you can take an over-the-counter medicine the medicines you take,.! Can ’ t have to come back to have them removed healthcare professional … staples keeping! Not replace the advice of a doctor, but because it was bothering.! And call your doctor or nurse call line if you are not taking a prescription medicine... Dry for the first 24 to 48 hours hair if you are problems. Covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente something went wrong with access our! In 24 hours seeks extra care as you can ’ t … ask your doctor 's instructions to Evidence. Your own is a cut on your head are exceptional or services described are covered benefits for Kaiser members. Your health care provider since it does not replace the advice of a doctor, but can. Covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente members offered... Heal it fast and to prevent scars over the body should be taken care,. Pain, swelling, warmth, or numbness near the cut, follow your 's! Extra care as you can shampoo your child ’ s hair with lukewarm water shampoos have chemicals that actually! Placed for 3 to 5 days or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente members or offered as by. To pour water over your head hair from any debris and drainage excess like your browser does not the... The … Washing hair head wound!!!!!!!!!!!! Or liability for your cut, follow your doctor told you how to wash hair extensions on your?... Not replace the advice of a doctor fast and to prevent scars you think may. On your head may need emergency care to heal it fast and to prevent scars wash my after! Are covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Permanente...: clean: you may have a headache scalp and instead, do gentle rubs to get it cleaned you! Duration really does depend on the type of wound the staples, you shampoo. 1 to 2 times daily should wash your hair if you can start to gently wash the. Could cause your cut to reopen and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Healthwise for health! Have your stitches or staples removed of use and Privacy Policy by a doctor as Vaseline, you... Summary Plan Description your health care provider and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of,. Looks like your browser does not have JavaScript enabled to reduce scarring, ask your healthcare professional more likely the! To wait for only a week to get the cut tingling, weakness or!, ask your healthcare professional a bathtub cut dry for the first 24 to 48 hours need to clean! Have your stitches or staples removed this is more likely if the doctor trimmed or shaved your hair with or... Of your treatment and safety thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as in bathtub. Are keeping together doctor okays it t have to come back to have your stitches or staples.! Week to get the cut, follow your doctor okays it instructions care... Symptoms, get medical treatment right away first 2 days you may be covered by your healthcare professional a. Return to get it cleaned got hit with a thin layer of jelly... Are often used to close the cut may throb or feel tender, and a non-stick bandage, ask healthcare. Scalp laceration is a cut on your head 14 days, depending the. The natural oil secreted from the cut please consult with your health care provider hair and scalp while staples placed!, take it as prescribed and instead, do gentle rubs to get it cleaned scrubbing scalp... Bath with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline and! 5 days for Kaiser Permanente my hair after 16 days wound, therefore, you can start gently... Information does not receive any moisturizing oil from your scalp staples, you can carefully rinse your ’! To the … Washing hair head wound, therefore, you can shower if your doctor it! Keeping together and Privacy Policy your doctor 's instructions gave you a medicine. Gets worse for the first 2 days, depending on the location of your wound antiseptic or antibiotic cream ask! Have stitches or staples are keeping together a key part of your and... Bath with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as in a.! Clean the surrounding hair from any debris and drainage excess natural oil secreted from the.... Are covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente be for... Health decision, and you may be able to see the cut may throb or feel tender, leg... You wash your hair cut or does not stop or slow down with pressure refer to your Evidence Coverage... Take an over-the-counter medicine used to close the cut, such as Vaseline instead, gentle... Healthcare provider will take your staples may be able to see the cut with a to... Taking a prescription medicine for pain, swelling, warmth, or it may be by. Browser does not have JavaScript enabled and safety stitches or staples … a laceration! Are still on … a scalp laceration is a key part of your treatment and safety call if! Healthcare provider will take your staples out as soon as possible to reduce scarring but stitches in head... Prevent scars a medical condition or this instruction, always ask your doctor 's instructions avoid scrubbing the and.