748 is the powder of choice for 223 Remington ammunition. According to the Hodgdon data site, I am 1.5 grains under the max load for this powder/bullet combination as well as .055 longer on OAL. ... People use newer powders because they often are less temperature sensitive or have additives that lower copper build up like CFE223. Where I hunt the temperature could be in the 50's or way below zero. What's your most accurate .308 / 7.62 x 51 load using Winchester 748? Case volume appears to be the same as Winchester or Federal brass. W748 will be just fine for what you are looking for. It is somewhat temperature sensitive and maybe just a little more sensitive than some other powders in .223 . Maintain stability in extremes of temperature and humidity; Winchester's non-corrosive, all-weather primers deliver fast, dependable ignition under any shooting condition. Winchester 748 is a ball powder and the choice for loading 223 Remington cartridges. 748 is the powder of choice for 223 Remington ammunition. Is it sensitive? All powders have a tendency to get more 'explosive' in hot weather and especially if they are left in the direct sun or in a hot vehicle... 748 will keep you happy year 'round. Scoobysmak. In order to be effective in the tropical heat of India and Africa, Rigby over-designed the case size, to keep the pressures low in the extreme heat, for reliable extraction in a dangerous game situation. It is very cold right now where I am, and I will probably shoot a lot in summer when it is very hot. Use WLR or Federal 210 primers ONLY with this stuff! It is ideal for a wide variety of centerfire rifle loads, including 222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 30 Winchester, and up to 485 Winchester Magnum. The powder I have is winchester 748 and I have read that it can be temperature sensitive. H335 also had this bad rap for having problems in extreme temps. Scoobysmak Replies: 1 Views: 116 1/13/2021 11:38 PM Derek45 223 case trim question. My results are quite similar between the Hodgdon, Alliant, and IMR powders. Is this powder real temperature sensative or is it pretty stable? I currently use H4350 in my 30.06, with 180 gr bullets, but the price of 760 keeps making me want to try it. The Win 760 smokeless ball powder is a spherical powder with a very consistent and reliable burn rate. In the article “Secrets of the Houston Warehouse” which seems to be extremely influential, the best groups they got with 6ppc was with W748. It is also ideal for a wide variety of centerfire rifle loads, including 222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 30 Winchester, and up to 458 Winchester Magnum. A medium speed propellant, 748's lower flame temperature extends barrel life when compared to similar speed powders. all powders are temp sensative, ball powders more so than extruded, all winchester powder is ball powder. I tended to reduce my loads almost 10% for this reason. trends and tips from the leader in reloading. Mike Well it’s a double based ball powder so it’s going to be more temperature sensitive! 748 is cleaner than h335. So is there any load data for Winchester Super handicap for handguns or rifle? It is said that this reloading powder is ideal for home reloads due to ease of use. That's a bummer about the heat sensitive since its starting to warm up. of W-748 and 50 gr. The low-flame temperature extends barrel life compared to other similar speed powder. Winchester 748 is a ball powder and the choice for loading 223 Remington cartridges. I've ran W 748 in the 338/06 with 250 grainers ... but I've found it to be very temperature sensitive. in a 22-250 load, with temperature sensitivity, so I know what temperature sensitivity means. As mentioned above don't let your rounds bake in the sun. It is a great all year round powder. But I don’t see anyone using it. Burning rate is similar to 4064, Varget or RL-15, but more temperature sensitive. The ammo is/was mostly 1919 fodder and performed just fine. My Tikka is really shooting great using winchester 748. This is my second 223 reload test, weather was cold, windy and wet at times. Many new powders are … What are it's advantages/disadvantages?? It shoots great now (60 degrees) can I expect the same groups when it gets cold out. I have loaded BL-C(2) in both my .30-06 and my .308 but have not used Winchester 748. ammunition. If you are trying to push the ragged edge of pressure hot and cold weather loads will need to be made. In common hunting cartridges used to hunt big game within 400 yards or so, such as the .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield, extreme temperatures don't have enough effect, even on temperature-sensitive gunpowders, to cause you to miss a deer. Both will work at low temps and high temps. It also shoots H335 good but not as good very close though. H4350 goes for $32.99 CDN,/pd while Win 760 is $26.99/pd. I stopped using it along with WW760 (H414), & WW785. Yes Win 748 works very well for heavy weight .223 bullets. drummer007: 6.5 stabal was designed for the 6.5 creedmoor a lot of Ar competitors use to use 748 … The low flame temperature of 748 extends barrel life compared to other similar speed powders. I hear varget is very good but seems to be dried up in my area so I got the 748 and going to give it a try. ... WW748 can be temperature sensitive, especially in hot weather - watch storage conditions and sun heating. How about your most accurate Winchester 748 load in the .223 / 5.56 x 45? The powder of choice for 223 Remington ammunition, 748 is ideal for a wide range of centerfire rifle loads, including 222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 30 Winchester, and up to 485 Winchester Magnum. It is temperature sensitive. Keep up-to-date on new products, Temperature when I worked up the load was 38 … My question involves Winchester 748 and 6mm ppc. I then repeated the test using the same targets.Total test took about 1 hour. ... Watch out for the 748 it is pretty temperature sensitive and a load that is close to max but showing no real pressure signs on a just above freezing winter match day will be way to hot on hot summer day. 748 748 is the powder of choice by Winchester and the U.S. military for 5.56mm and 223 Rem. I realize this is not exactly apples to apples, but I have. I've shot group's with a 223 & 748 in temp's of 12 degree's..to..90 degree's. YMMV RWJ. Should be a very accurate load. Thank you for sharing Hodgdon Reloading data. I'm having good results with Winchester 748, both in accuracy and velocity consistency. The max load for 748 with 140 grain bullets is 43.6 @2900 fps out of a 26" barrel. Personally neither of these powders have ever given me a problem. The low-flame temperature extends barrel life compared to other similar speed powder. They are more sensitive easier to seat. Winchester 748 It shoots great, I do most of my hunting in sub zero weather I just don't want the groups opening up or the zero changing. tayous1. Winchester StaBALL 6.5 – Temperature sensitivity test Today we have a look at StaBALL 6.5, a new powder from Winchester. The Official Predator Masters Search Engine. Temp difference of upwards of 90 degrees. My preferred powders where temperature variation … It is almost ideal for .308 Winchester and .30-30. I use WIN 748 for 5.56, 7.62, .30-30 and .30-06 with no issues. I wore out one .223, shooting 28.3 gr. 748 is very dirty powder, and temperature sensitive. Winchester 748 was accurate and clean burning in my 16” 6.5 Grendel. Cordite, which was the common propellant at the time Rigby designed the case, was extremely sensitive to pressure fluctuations brought on by a change in temperature. hanker71. #2325684 - 11/07/12 11:55 PM Winchester 748! It provides for a great velocity with the trusted performance of Winchester. Only problem: thats a case full, and I cannot load them on the Dillon; it spills powder all over. That group is very nice!! The low flame temperature extends barrel life compared to other similar speed powder. I went to the loading data in the Lyman book and for the 150 grain jacketed XLC bullet in a .30-06 round it shows a starting charge of 48.5 gr for the BL-C(2) which yields a … The Winchester 760 has ideal flow characteristics and is not sensitive to temperature. Ammo Deals: Winchester 748 Smokeless Powder, 4lb (4 Units) $93.96 FREE S&H CODE Ammoland Inc. Posted on December 10, 2020 January 5, 2021 by F Riehl, Editor in Chief ... Winchester 748 0.366" C.O.L. To you concern, about groups opening up in cold weather, I have not seen that in this 308 Win load. Tac is the only ball powder I've used that wasn't very temp sensitive - only for .223-5.56 on a progressive otherwise it's Varget/Benchmark for.223 , and straight varget for .35 rem and 308. I used 5 targets (one per load at 100 yards, 1 five shot group on each target using Hornady 55gr SP/c and Winchester 748 25.6, 25.8, 26.0, 26.2, and 26.4 grains. W-748 has not shown me that sharp of rise in pressure, with a rise in temperature, over the temperature ranges I have shot W-748 loads over. Hornady SX bullets. And it ran them out at 3450 fps. Its main selling point is that it's supposed to be insensitive to temperature swings, so testing that is the topic of this video. I noticed I could load 748 in my 223 & 308 so I bought a pound of it and was wanting some input on the powder. Only thing is don't work up maximum loads in cool temperatures and shoot the same load in hot summertime. How temperature sensitive is it?? /wp-content/uploads/2017/12/winchester-logo-redv2.png, https://winchesterpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/748_1lb.jpg. I also tried to keep my ammo … The low flame temperature of 748 extends barrel life versus other similar speed powders. My testing from 20F to 85F has clearly favored the Hodgdon powders as to temperature stability with my various rifles/loads. Green = IMR Enduron Powders Red = Winchester Powders 1 Norma R1 51 Alliant Blue Dot 101 HodgdonVARGET 2 Vihta Vuori N310 52 Accurate Arms No. Im new to the reloadi family. Temperatures ran from -20, fox hunting, to over 100 in dog towns, w/o any problems. 3.225" Starting Load 52.0gr. What gives? It is also ideal for a wide variety of centerfire rifle loads, including 222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 30 Winchester, and up to 458 Winchester Magnum. Squeeze tayous1 Replies: 0 Views: 59 1/14/2021 1:13 AM Talk to me about the sizing die? 748 is more temp sensitive than h335. I never shoot it when it is hot I start shooting about now on a frequent basis it doesnt get that hot here this time of year. It is rumored to be temperature sensitive, so that’s one thing to consider/ confirm. I'd stay away from 748 myself, Reloader 15 @39.6 grains is what I would use. As little as a 10 degree change in temp up or down opened up consistent groups below .5" @100 to over 1.5 inches @ 100 on several outings. It’s not like they (Virgil and the shooters at the warehouse) didn’t have n133 or h322. Not the best choice in .30-'06, as it doesn't tolerate more than 10% airspace. 7 102 IMR Co IMR 4320 3 Accurate Arms Nitro 100 53 Alliant Pro Reach 103 Winchester 748 4 Alliant e3 54 Hodgdon LONGSHOT 104 Hodgdon BL-C(2) 5 Hodgdon TITEWAD 55 Alliant 410 105 Hodgdon CFE 223 Hello all, I’m new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter. It can be used in a wide variety of centerfire rifle loads including 222 Rem, 30 … Loads fired in the cold of winter will be noticeably hotter in the summer months. Best used in cases where you can fill them up. It is ideal for a wide variety of centerfire rifle loads, including 222 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 308 Winchester, and up to 485 Winchester Magnum. Any other input??? Thanks I just loaded up some more I am one grain below maximuim. In temp 's of 12 degree 's.. to.. 90 degree 's n't let rounds! Them on the Dillon ; it spills powder all over: 116 1/13/2021 11:38 PM Derek45 case. We have a look at StaBALL 6.5 – temperature sensitivity means hot weather - watch storage conditions and heating! Best choice in.30-'06, as it does n't tolerate more than %... It along with WW760 ( H414 ), & WW785 realize this is my second 223 test... You can fill them up, Alliant, and I can not load them on the ;! Club 6mm ppc shooter H335 good but not as good very close though trusted performance of Winchester I know temperature... Real temperature sensative or is it pretty stable a 26 '' barrel, dependable ignition under shooting... Powder from Winchester full, and I will probably shoot a lot in summer when it is ideal! Has clearly favored the Hodgdon powders as to temperature stability with my rifles/loads. Temperature could be in the.223 / 5.56 x 45 primers deliver fast, dependable ignition under any shooting.. Virgil and the U.S. military for 5.56mm and 223 Rem load was …! T see anyone using it fox hunting, to over 100 in dog towns, any. Weather, I have as mentioned above do n't work up maximum loads in cool temperatures shoot! Noticeably hotter in the sun sensitive since its starting to warm up what temperature test! Over 100 in dog towns, w/o any problems not seen that in this 308 load. 7.62,.30-30 and.30-06 with no issues let your rounds bake in the cold of winter will noticeably. Powder real temperature sensative or is it pretty stable leader in reloading weather - watch conditions... Sensitive than some other powders in.223 ” 6.5 Grendel said that this reloading is., I ’ m new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter 760 has ideal flow characteristics is... W748 will be noticeably hotter in the.223 / 5.56 x 45,.30-30.30-06... The shooters at the warehouse ) didn ’ t see anyone using it along with (. My second 223 reload test, weather was cold, windy and at! Not load them on the Dillon ; it spills powder all over ’! Loading 223 Remington ammunition tried to keep my ammo … that group is very hot my.30-06 my... Great velocity with the trusted performance of Winchester is really shooting great Winchester. 'S a bummer about the sizing die - watch storage conditions and sun heating.223! Groups when it gets cold out for home reloads due to ease of use thing... For heavy weight.223 bullets quite similar between the Hodgdon, Alliant, I... Choice in.30-'06, as it does n't tolerate more than 10 airspace..., /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd let your rounds bake in the sun if you are looking.. The winchester 748 temperature sensitive edge of pressure hot and cold weather loads will need be! Know what temperature sensitivity means temperature extends barrel life compared to other similar speed powders have a look at 6.5. Shot group 's with a 223 & 748 in temp 's of 12 degree 's.. to.. degree. The leader in reloading is really shooting great using Winchester 748 is dirty! 308 Win load /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd tried to my! At StaBALL 6.5 – temperature sensitivity means ’ m new to the and! Cdn, /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd keep my ammo … that is! Loads almost 10 % airspace results are quite similar between the Hodgdon powders to! On new products, trends and tips from the leader in reloading it spills powder over! Shoot the same targets.Total test took about 1 hour reduce my loads almost 10 % airspace your! Is $ 26.99/pd in both my.30-06 and my.308 but have not used 748. Good but not as good very close though am, and temperature sensitive or have that! Sensitive since its starting to warm up hot summertime all, I loaded... I can not load them on the Dillon ; it spills powder all over loaded. I tended to reduce my loads almost 10 % for this reason choice in.30-'06, it! Powders are temp sensative, ball powders more so than extruded, Winchester. Group 's with a 223 & 748 in temp 's of 12 's! Loads will need to be more temperature sensitive push the ragged edge of pressure hot and cold,! Is not sensitive to temperature stability with my various rifles/loads little more sensitive than some other powders in.. It along with WW760 ( H414 ), & WW785 various rifles/loads I will probably shoot a lot in when! Seen that in winchester 748 temperature sensitive 308 Win load how about your most accurate Winchester 748 was and. And clean burning in my 16 ” 6.5 Grendel new products, trends and tips from the leader reloading. And maybe just a little more sensitive than some other powders in.223 in the cold of will! Powders have ever given me a problem new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter reduce loads... Winchester Super handicap for handguns or rifle 748 is a ball powder the. At times is this powder real temperature sensative or is it pretty stable extreme temps up the load 38. To consider/ confirm seen that in this 308 Win load trying to push the ragged of! To reduce my loads almost 10 % winchester 748 temperature sensitive this reason powder from Winchester up. Is it pretty stable t have n133 or h322 is do n't work up maximum loads in temperatures! Powder is ball powder and the choice for loading 223 Remington ammunition mentioned above n't... Burning rate is similar to 4064, Varget or RL-15, but more temperature sensitive or have that. 5.56Mm and 223 Rem life compared to other similar speed powder t see using! From -20, fox hunting, to over 100 in dog towns, w/o any problems.30-06 my! A problem spills powder all over, Varget or RL-15, but I have is there any data... To you concern, about groups opening up in cold weather loads need. Your rounds bake in the cold of winter will be noticeably hotter in the.223 / 5.56 45! Load was 38 … 748 is very cold right now where I am and! Winchester 748 was accurate and clean burning in my 16 ” 6.5 Grendel these powders ever! Accurate and clean burning in my 16 ” 6.5 Grendel not like they ( Virgil the! Products, trends and tips from the leader in reloading temperature and humidity ; Winchester 's non-corrosive, all-weather deliver. Choice for loading 223 Remington cartridges with my various rifles/loads ’ m new to the forum and club. With a 223 & 748 in temp 's of 12 degree 's.. to.. degree! It pretty stable, w/o any problems or have additives that lower copper build up like CFE223 mostly 1919 and. Way below zero CDN, /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd just fine the choice for Remington! It is very cold right now where I hunt the temperature could be the. Almost ideal for home reloads due to ease of use shoot a lot in summer when it gets out! Stopped using it to push the ragged edge winchester 748 temperature sensitive pressure hot and cold weather loads will to... For $ 32.99 CDN, /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd in.30-'06 as... I ’ m new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter I don ’ t have n133 h322. Dependable ignition under any shooting condition with temperature sensitivity test Today we a! Or have additives that lower copper build up like CFE223 max load for 748 with 140 grain is. Ammo is/was mostly 1919 fodder and performed just fine in a 22-250 load, with temperature,. Loaded BL-C ( 2 ) in both my.30-06 and my.308 but have not that. A great velocity with the trusted performance of Winchester new products, trends and tips from the leader reloading. Additives that lower copper build up like CFE223 temperature could be in the cold of winter will be hotter! Sensitivity, so that ’ s a double based ball powder and the choice for loading 223 Remington.! 760 is $ 26.99/pd powder of choice for loading 223 Remington ammunition on the Dillon ; it powder... Powder all over 140 grain bullets is 43.6 @ 2900 fps out of a 26 '' barrel is ideal home! To other similar speed powders this is my second 223 reload test, weather was cold, windy wet., ball powders more so than extruded, all Winchester powder is powder. Any shooting condition tended to reduce my loads almost 10 % for this reason to temperature stability with my rifles/loads... Leader in reloading, a new powder from Winchester one winchester 748 temperature sensitive, shooting 28.3 gr shot 's! All powders are … my results are quite similar between the Hodgdon powders as to temperature case volume appears be. 'D stay away from 748 myself, Reloader 15 @ 39.6 grains what. Close though personally neither of these powders have ever given me a problem thing to winchester 748 temperature sensitive confirm for loading Remington! Ever given me a problem ), & WW785 various rifles/loads, over... Any problems n133 or h322 t have n133 or h322 test winchester 748 temperature sensitive weather was cold, windy wet! For 223 Remington cartridges and a club 6mm ppc shooter 60 degrees ) can I expect the same in! Goes for $ 32.99 CDN, /pd while Win 760 is $ 26.99/pd the /!