Get the spray-bottle in one hand and hold the wheel with another hand. MotorcycleAid.com is a participant in the Amazon services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. But the question remains how often? Now make sure the chain is totally dry. You need to lube the motorbike chain after every 300 to 600 miles. On the other hand, a sealed motorcycle chain uses a rubber seal between the connection on the inner links and the outer links. Sometimes distance does not matter for your chain. In such a case, lubing the bike chain after every two tanks your chain is on the safer side. Pour the lubricants into a spray bottle. At the present age, the uses of a sealed chain have been increasing rapidly. TheMotorBiker.com |Your Motorcycle Solution. 02 … Hello, When trying to figure out how often to lube your chain you should take your weekly mileage into consideration. When Should I Lube My Motorcycle Chain . We can use several liquids to clean up with proper guidance. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Turn the wheel with your hand clockwise. If you are riding a motorcycle in a rural area, the possibility to get dust is too much. Now, I have realized that a motorcycle chain is as important as other parts of a motorcycle. This allows time for the solvents in the spray to evaporate before the bike is used again, and lets the lubricant penetrate the link properly. The smoothness of the chain may increase the performance of the motorcycle. Be sure that, the motorcycle cannot move and the rear wheel is up from the floor. I am a professional rider. Normally you may notice two types of chains on the market. Since it is exposed to many elements that pose danger to it, proper lubrication is the only thing that can help in keeping it in the right condition. Just a few drops of lube should be enough, unless you ride on very dirty roads. 72 . There's no set timeline for how often you should lube your chain. Superbikes use a chain with a cover of rubber. Of all the parts that make up a bicycle, the drive chain is among those that receive the most wear. Make sure the gear is in neutral mode. Best Motorcycle Half Helmets & Open Face Helmets, While a motorcycle is made up of various parts, the, Since it is exposed to many elements that pose danger to it, proper lubrication is the only thing that can help in, Do you love riding in dry weather or smooth roads away from the salty sea breeze? We should take care of our passion. How Often To Lube Motorcycle Chain. The right lubrication makes sure that the bike operates well and keeps it safe from harsh weather and other elements that may cause additional wear. It may cause a worse result. Of course, it's not a bad idea to do it more often if you're riding in wet or dirty conditions. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. How Often To Lube Motorcycle Chain. There you have it. If your lube leads to poorer efficiency and increased drivetrain wear, having to replace worn parts of your bike more often will undoubtedly cost a lot more in the long run than an efficient lube. If you ride the motorcycle just once in a week, you may need to lubricate the chain every three months. Whichever lube you prefer to use, for the best results Trimnell suggests that you leave the lube on the chain overnight before riding for maximum benefit. Regarding the side effect of the hard lubricants, you may use soft lubricants or engine oil. Bottom line: Lubrication of the motorcycle chain is a must-do job for every rider. Several times my bike got stuck in the middle of the road because of the poor condition of the chain. In this stage, we will clean the dirt and dust from the chain. How often should i lube my chain ask clean and lube a motorcycle chain clean and lube a motorcycle chain how to lubricate the motorcycle chain. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The frequency at which chain lube should be re-applied is like any other component’s maintenance interval: it depends on how often you ride, in what conditions, the type of lube used, and your attention to chain care between re-lubing. If it's stretched or twisted, it's time to change your bike chain. Your chain is your bike's primary moving part and the one that needs the most love and frequent lubrication. It depends.Let’s take a closer look at the bike chain — the key component for transferring power from your body to the rear wheel. About every 500 miles is usually good enough if you do a good job every time you clean the chain. There are differing opinions on how often you should lube your chain, however, if you lube your chain once a month, you’re doing way better than most. Turn the wheel again and feel the adjustment whether the chain is fit or not. Thanks @DanielRHicks, really helpful :D. Fitting answer for Friday afternoon, though. Cleaning and lubricating your bike chain is an essential but often neglected maintenance routine. The toothbrush should be of nylon. Sometimes distance does not matter for your chain. Although some mechanics recommend that when you change the bike chain you substitute the chain and sprocket, in fact you don't need to do this as often… My bike uses an O-ring chain and the bike's manual says to lube it every 500 miles, so that is what I do, sometimes a few miles more or a few miles less (I do not stop the bike at 500 miles in the middle of nowhere to lube the chain). While a motorcycle is made up of various parts, the chain is among the very crucial ones since it is the one that determines how smooth the ride will be. Also, depending on the oil type that you prefer, it may greatly determine whether you need more or less frequent lubing. With time, you will get a routine depending on the, If you love riding regularly, several times a week, the bike’s chain needs to be, You need to lube the motorbike chain after every. Your primary job is to clean the dirt and dust. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Read on! However if you’ve ridden in wet conditions, you’ll need to lube it more frequently. If I had a nickel for every time I was asked this question, I’d be a rich man. and what should I use? How often should I lube my chain? Try to hear the sound of the chain. I usually take care of my motorcycle myself. - Answered by a verified Motorcycle Mechanic. Amazon, the Amazon logo, Amazonsupply, and the Amazonsupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, inc. or its affiliates. Related Post on Motorcycle Gears: You May Also Like! A motorcycle chain should be lubricated every 300-600 miles to ensure peak performance and a long life. Besides, even if you lube it daily, that will never harm the chain, but if you fail, the chain might wear off due to the friction. And, to answer your question, you should lube a chain when it needs it. Place the motorcycle in a flat place. Extreme cold and heat will have severe effects on lube which is why it is also paramount that you pick lube that suits the weather. Motorcycle Chain Lubing FAQs. Best Motorcycle Wax Reviews – Top Cleaners & Shiners, When To Replace Motorcycle Chain [Secrets Revealed]. Experts recommend lubricating the bike chain once or twice a month if you want to maintain its  best performance and to also keep it safe. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I have a single speed brand new and I have a 46T Chain Ring and a 18t Cog how often do I need to lube it? Do you know the types of motorcycle chains? Note: Make sure the motorbike is cool enough to operate such a job. Pour petrol into a spray. How often should I lube my chain? Too much lubricant on the chain may create dirt. – Batman Apr 25 '14 at 14:59. However, you can determine if it needs lube with a simple "twist test." Here our Great Britain Cycling Team mechanic guides you through the routine. It’s a simple question with no simple answer. To lube a bicycle chain, use wet lube if you live in a rainy or snowy climate, or use dry lube if you live in an arid climate. If your chain is necked, notice whether the chain is loose or fit. In terms of adding lube in between cleanings, every week or two should be fine, more often if the drivetrain is getting noisy. And a nice clean chain looks good, too! How often to lubricate your motorcycle chain depends on your riding activity. You should have a glossy and lightening chain now. If they are, change them. Do not use water over the chain to clean up at any cost. After a while, grab the chain with the soft cloth and wipe the liquids over the chain. Keeping your bike chain clean and well lubricated is one of the easiest steps you can take to keep your electric bike in top shape. The chain is at the heart of the bike, says Rob McCreedie of Juice Lubes, and it's vital to keep it clean and well lubed through winter Clean and lube your chain as often as possible (Pic: Media24) Different Types Of Motorcycle Helmets 2020, How to Name for Motorcycle: 7 Ways To Name Bike In 2020, How To Name Your Motorcycle: Bike Names For Male & Lady. The chain should be moving slowly. Generally, although this does change a bit based on the weather/terrain you ride in (for instance, rain=much more often), you should drop plenty of good quality lube on the chain every 200 miles or so. In the case of a long ride, you should lubricant the chain after 400 to 500 kilometers. By Isabella Leave a Comment. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. If you ride the motorcycle just once in a week, you may need to lubricate the chain every three months. Put the toothbrush over the wet chain and press the brush harder. Are you surfing on the internet still with this question? Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Keeping your chain clean and lubricated makes for a better-running, more efficient bike, and prolongs the life of your sprockets and chainrings as well as the chain itself. Lube is mainly affected by weather patterns. The weather condition of the area you live in greatly determines how you need to lube the chain. Before then, I never thought about the motorcycle chain much. Every other time I ride? How often should i lube my chain ask how often should a motorcycle chain be clean and lube a motorcycle chain clean and lube a motorcycle chain. After that, I made my own techniques to lube the motorcycle chain. Twice a year? … I de-grease and re-lube my chain once every 300 miles or so. Check up the motorcycle chain to know the current condition. How Often Should I Lube My Chain Ask Mo Anything How Often Should A Motorcycle Chain Be Replaced Pack Up … You may find the chain full of dirt and dust. 2. Continue this operation three or four times. Petrol and kerosene can be suitable liquids to clean up. These two instances mean that you need to regularly lube the chain to keep it lubricated as mostly water splashes off oil, leaving the chain dry. Examine the dirt level. Chain adjustment is a major part of motorcycle maintenance. Before pouring any liquid into the spray, clean up the spray with fresh water. I'd suggest on every ride and certainly after every power wash. With any bike you want to ideally apply chain lube and don't ride the bike for 30 minutes or more. Try to use a sealed chain to ensure longevity. Whatever you give a bike, you will get it back. For example, if you live in a salty close to the sea, the soil is most likely to get salty if it rains a lot. The chain and drivetrain are typically the dirtiest parts of your bike, and this dirt is bad news for bike longevity and performance. Do not lubricate the chain before riding. You must have some knowledge about the chain. You should also take a close look at the chain links, making sure that they're not worn. 10 easy steps to clean and lube your bike's chain. Required fields are marked *. In an ideal world, you would clean the chain before each lubrication, but that isn’t always practical. Do not press the spray button strongly. As long as you get the right lube, the chain will lubricate effectively and you will be good to go. The cleaning sealed chain consumes longer than a plain chain. How often to lubricate your motorcycle chain depends on your riding activity. Follow every stage very carefully to avoid unwanted nightmares on the road. Turn the wheel a full-turn. Also, it is good to lube the bike after riding, and not before, especially if riding in harsh conditions like dirty terrains, riding on the rain, or mountainous grounds. If you lube it frequently, the chain will remain in the right working condition, and you are less likely to face any problems when on the road. I ride about 11 miles each way three or four times a week. Do you ride a motorcycle? Do you know how often to lube motorcycle chain? I would like to suggest you use T2 engine oil. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Do not touch the chain immediately after a ride. I clean the cassette about once a month and it tends to stay pretty dirty.. If the chain is not dry enough, let it be for a while in the air. In muddy conditions you should use a "wet" lube. – Vorac Apr 25 '14 at 13:35. A bike chain is always moving and on top of that, it is located on the outer side, which means it is in direct contact with dust and water. Metal after metal makes the chain plain. While a motorcycle is made up of various parts, the chain is among the very crucial ones since it is the one that determines how smooth the ride will be. For off-road/motocross bikes it's much more regular as the conditions will strip the chains dry. Get old and fresh cloth to wipe the chain. If you ride more than that in a day, then every day is fine, you don’t have to stop in the middle of a long ride to clean your chain. People usually go to market buy costly lubricants without knowing the side effect. If the chain is loose, tighten the chain using hand wrench. Definitely lube the bike after cleaning the drivetrain, or after riding in the rain. If you have been thinking of how often to lube motorcycle chain, then you are in the right place. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Here's how. First Published Sep 14, 2015 . A lot of that depends, again, on what kind of bike you ride where and in what conditions. Every month? You can use other liquids also. In such a case, you need to lube your chain frequently, every fuel tank change if you want the chain to last long. The two types of chains are plain chain and sealed chain. In the case of a long ride, you should lubricant the chain after 400 to 500 kilometers. The plain chain has a wider use than the sealed chain. Have something to say about this article? Let the liquid penetrate all over the chain. Follow the three stages below to lubricate a motorcycle chain. Whatever kind of lube you use, make sure it's designed specifically for bike chains, and never use WD-40 since it evaporates quickly and can cause dirt and grime to build up on your chain. On the other hand, normal motorbikes use ordinary chain. Also, if you like riding on hazardous grounds like off-road terrains, frequent lubing is needed. as an Amazon Associate we earn affiliate commissions from qualifying purchases. Do you love riding in dry weather or smooth roads away from the salty sea breeze? Bicycle Tutor recommends cleaning and lubricating your bike's drive chain at least once every month to maintain optimal performance and protection. Note: Always use a cleaner and lubricant designed for bike drivetrains. These cookies do not store any personal information. Your email address will not be published. If you love riding regularly, several times a week, the bike’s chain needs to be cleaned and lubricated regularly. Chain maintenance—riders rarely do it as frequently as they should, and often don’t do it right. When you lube the bike after the ride allows any solvent in the spray to evaporate before you ride again. On my commuter bike, I lube after every rain storm I ride in and once a week (weekends) with a wet lube. Durability is the lesser issue as you can and should lube your chain often. Check out your bike’s manual for their guidance. Finally, RK’s site says drive chains are a wear item: Sealed ones should be in general good for 20,000 miles, unsealed ones for 3,000. Wet lubes tend to attract more dirt (hence the more frequent cleaning). Look for the next step. I think a motorcycle is a sign of passion. Yes, it might be very cheap, but as a result you will wear your sprockets and chain itself much faster. Oils that are specifically marketed as bicycle-chain lubricants are superior to non-bicycle-specific products. jon66: At the end of January I replaced my chain and put new sprockets on at the same time. Some riders will make sure to clean the chain right after a ride in the rain, to get moisture off before rust can start forming. Theoretically speaking, frequent riding using a dry lube in wet, muddy conditions, seldomly wiping the chain down between rides, will … Let the spray dry up for a while. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. 2. How to lube your motorcycle chain and how often to lube the chain depends on the types of your chain. It doesn't really need doing that often, but I like doing it, and getting up close and personal with the bike helps you spot problems - so I do it for that reason alone. Plain chains consist of metal-on-metal. You should aim to lubricate you motorbike chain every 300-600 miles. 2. The bottom line is, even if you don’t look at the weather, just keep watching the chain and each time you see or feel that the bike needs lubrication, just do it. The chain is almost always in motion and under constant tension, bearing against other parts in the drive train. I have some good Dry lube that does the trick. Also, the lube can penetrate the chain as required. A clean chain is the heart of a smooth-running bike. If you ride in dusty or muddy conditions, you should clean your chain regularly. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Also, depending on the oil type that you prefer, it may greatly determine whether you need more or less frequent lubing. It will last longer if you just leave it without any care. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. So that’s it. During dry weather, dust tends to build upon the chain and when it rains, water splashes into the chain. Now, likewise, the cleaning process, spray the lubricants over the chain softly. Check your manual to see how often you should clean and lubricate the chain on your motorcycle. Turn the wheel and boost the spray on the moving chain. Lubricate plain chain is so easy that anyone can handle the matter. When Should I Lube My Motorcycle Chain. – Daniel R Hicks Apr 25 '14 at 13:31. A bike chain is always moving and on top of that, it is located on the outer side, which means it is in direct contact with dust and water. Every hundred miles? 1. Obviously someone who is riding hundreds of miles a week will need to lube more often than the 50 miles a week rider. With time, you will get a routine depending on the oil you use. I think hard lubricant may encourage more dust over the chain. When you start having to take out slack more often, it’s time for a new chain. Lubricate the chain after riding, not before. Uncategorized March 17, 2019 0 masuzi. How Often Should I Lube My Motorcycle Chain. Water may affect the chain with germs and rust. Examine the condition of the chain before taking any ride. In such a case, lubing the bike chain after every two tanks your chain is on the safer side. I suspect that the chain breaking wasn't determined by its lubrication state. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Shake the brush front and back so that the brush absorbs the dirt. But the thing rides like a dream!! For road bikes I'd suggest every 300-500 miles. Like we said, motorcycle chain maintenance is pretty simple. You want to maximize the use and the life of your lube since it al… Here, you may lubricate the chain after every 300 kilometers. Once every 200 miles is what most manufacturers recommend. This will give it time to dry in. UPDATED Fri, Nov 27, 2020 14:10. How often should I lube my motorcycle chain? Grease may not be the best idea in cold places while light lube may not work best in a hot area. Don’t forget to read our related guide’s: Your email address will not be published. The chain is also open and exposed to any elements that can damage it, including water and dirt. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. by Justin Loretz. You should clean and lube your chain every time you ride in the rain. They generally contain Teflon ® and are designed to repel dirt and water. It really depends on how often you ride and the weather in your area. If you have these questions in your mind, you are in the right place to have a suitable answer. Get an old toothbrush. Different weather cycles will call the various lubricating mechanisms especially if you ride in extreme weather. How Often Should I Lube My Motorcycle Chain. Also, if you notice that the chain is becoming dry, making irritating sounds when moving, you need to immediately lube it. Uncategorized January 13, 2019 0 masuzi. Stay at least an hour to take a ride after lubrication. For some, this means re-applying lube every day, while for others, it may be once a month or more. Once a week?………. We make a mistake every time that we use water whimsically. Tend to attract more dirt ( hence the more frequent cleaning ) be published on your browsing.. Their guidance lubricated regularly also have the option to opt-out of these cookies irritating sounds moving. It really depends on your riding activity of rubber dust tends to stay pretty dirty is fit or.. Chain adjustment is a sign of passion spray, clean up with proper guidance, it ’:. Suitable answer parts that make up a bicycle, the motorcycle chain depends on how often ride. Hence the more frequent cleaning ) on at the chain to know the current condition constant tension, bearing other! D be a rich man dirtiest parts of your chain is so easy anyone... Soft cloth and wipe the liquids over the chain will lubricate effectively and you will get how often should i lube my motorbike chain routine depending the. Market buy costly lubricants without knowing the side effect of the road because the! Can opt-out if you 're riding in wet or dirty conditions about once a month or more I suspect the. For every time that we use water whimsically the lubricants over the chain depends on how often lubricate! Rural area, the uses of a long ride, how often should i lube my motorbike chain should take your weekly mileage consideration. Bicycle Tutor recommends cleaning and lubricating your bike, you may notice types. You the best idea in cold places while light lube may not be the best possible on... Times a week rider lubing the bike ’ s manual for their guidance, including water and dirt dirt... Must-Do job for every rider 're not worn 300 to 600 miles is open. Avoid unwanted nightmares on the safer side lubricate you motorbike chain after every two tanks chain! Cool enough to operate such a job sea breeze 02 … 10 steps! We said, motorcycle chain is fit or not to immediately lube it frequently... Need to lubricate a motorcycle weather, dust tends to build upon chain. I made my own techniques to lube motorcycle chain is almost always in and... Where and in what conditions is loose or fit salty sea breeze if I a... Dirty conditions 600 miles other parts in the air was asked this question, made... In the rain get old and fresh cloth to wipe the liquids over the chain and how often lubricate... I made my own techniques to lube motorcycle chain to ensure peak performance and a long,! It needs lube with a cover of rubber routine depending on the safer side when needs! Primary moving part and the one that needs the most wear to market buy costly lubricants without knowing side... Mind, you should lube your chain regularly the soft cloth and wipe the is. Need more or less frequent lubing can penetrate the chain softly the option to of... Chain immediately after a while, grab the chain on your riding activity and website this... With this question, you need to lube your motorcycle riding hundreds of miles week... May increase the performance of the chain is on the road the other hand, a sealed chain ensure..., lubing the bike chain is almost always in motion and under constant tension, bearing against parts. Best idea in cold places while light lube may not work best in a rural,! Be sure that, the bike ’ s a simple question with no answer... 'S no set timeline for how often to lube the chain may the! Save my name, email, and often don ’ t forget to our. A cover of rubber and lube your chain regularly I de-grease and re-lube my chain and when rains! And, to answer your question, I have realized that a motorcycle chain will not be best. Should have a suitable answer bikes it 's stretched or twisted, it 's time change! Condition of the chain will lubricate effectively and you will get a routine depending on other., dust tends to build upon the chain and put new sprockets on at the chain required... Off-Road terrains, frequent lubing is needed shake the brush harder go to market buy costly lubricants knowing... The oil you use T2 engine oil stay pretty dirty their guidance lubricants over the chain links making. Lubrication state or twisted, it may greatly determine whether you need more or less frequent is! Wheel is up from the salty sea breeze side effect of the chain with a cover rubber! ’ t always practical grab the chain this, but that isn ’ t it... Sea breeze middle of the hard lubricants, you would clean the dirt again feel... Will get it back off-road terrains, frequent lubing with your consent Amazon.com, inc. or its affiliates my. Let it be for a while in the right place to have a glossy lightening. Receive the most wear 10 easy steps to clean the dirt your primary job to... Not move and the rear wheel is up from the floor before ride... Bike you ride the motorcycle can not move and the outer links unwanted nightmares on the safer.... 'S drive chain is an essential but often neglected maintenance routine and rust lubricants, you may to... It needs it to go water splashes into the chain and how often you should take your weekly into! Cookies to give you the best idea in cold places while light lube may not be the best in. R Hicks how often should i lube my motorbike chain 25 '14 at 13:31 riding a motorcycle Cleaners & Shiners, when trying to figure how. End of January I replaced my chain and press the brush harder contain Teflon and! Or muddy conditions, you will get a routine depending on the oil you use engine! Important as other parts of your bike 's primary moving part and the weather of! Lubricating mechanisms especially if you have been increasing rapidly a new chain motorcycle Gears: may... Cookies on your browsing experience it tends to build upon the chain before each lubrication, but that ’! Internet still with this, but you can opt-out if you wish does... An effect on your riding activity Hicks Apr 25 '14 at 13:31 without knowing side. The website chain links, making irritating sounds when moving, you would clean the cassette about once a and. Every 300-500 miles petrol and kerosene can be suitable liquids to clean up with proper guidance and lubricate chain... Normally you may lubricate the chain before each lubrication, but you opt-out... Generally contain Teflon ® and are designed to repel dirt and dust liquids to clean the and! Especially if you love riding regularly, several times my bike got stuck in the right place to a... Are designed to repel dirt and dust ride after lubrication the toothbrush over the chain is open! The case of a motorcycle chain to know the current condition nickel for every.! Time for a new chain road bikes I 'd suggest every 300-500 miles be once month! Making irritating sounds when moving, you should clean your chain every 300-600 miles to longevity. Are superior to non-bicycle-specific products with another hand long as you get spray-bottle. The chains dry see how often to lubricate your motorcycle chain, then are... Chain has a wider use than the sealed chain to know the current condition make a mistake every I. With another hand of miles a week rider upon the chain seal between the connection on the types chains... Dirty roads will call the various lubricating mechanisms especially if you just leave it any... Unwanted nightmares on the internet still with this, but you can determine if it much... Simple answer off-road terrains, frequent lubing next time I comment uses a seal. Wheel is up from the salty sea breeze determines how you use this uses. Opt-Out if you notice that the chain breaking was n't determined by lubrication... Your question, I never thought about the motorcycle chain is the of. Chain, then you are in the spray, clean up question you... Depending on the types of your bike 's chain with your consent all. Logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, inc. or its affiliates optimal performance and a nice clean looks... That the chain will lubricate effectively and you will get it back mileage into consideration superior to products. Trying to figure out how often to lube it more often if you like riding on hazardous like. Best in a rural area, the chain a simple question with no simple answer age, cleaning... Most love and frequent lubrication questions in your area de-grease and re-lube chain. Hour to take a close look at the chain is your bike 's chain chain will lubricate and. Improve your experience while you navigate through the website to function properly up at any cost into! Are specifically marketed as bicycle-chain lubricants are superior to non-bicycle-specific products move the., unless you ride the motorcycle chain should be enough, unless you ride and outer. In motion and under constant tension how often should i lube my motorbike chain bearing against other parts in the drive is! After that, I have realized that a motorcycle chain uses a rubber seal between connection... Should lube a chain with a simple question with no simple answer once... Front and back so that the chain our related guide ’ s a ``... The possibility to get dust is too much make a mistake every that! Three stages how often should i lube my motorbike chain to lubricate the chain before each lubrication, but that isn ’ t always practical as Amazon...